Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would your call be

Options
  • 02-11-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering about something here after a session in the gym this morning:

I was waiting at the counter (only for a towel btw) for a few minutes with no sign of any staff. Now I should say that I have waited before (I was seen by that staff member on the cameras in the back, waiting) and was just told I could come around the counter to take from the shelf .

I wanted to wait and see just how much time would I actually be waiting.
    Should someone who was in the gym at that time have got injured (as their is no bell to alert staff in the back area) how soon could help have been to-hand.

I ended up having to phone the premises before staff appeared to the counter. It was a manager who I then , initially said "there wouldn't want to be an emergency" but then asked "what if something had happened, there is no staff here to assist" to which his reply was "just leave it with me!".

It took 6mins from when I signed in to reach the gym, normally 30sec.

Now my query is:
    Should someone have needed even the basic first-aid kit, not even going down the road of someone needing CPR or the likes, would you have helped yourself to the kit from behind the counter if no staff around or would you wait.
    I have cut my leg in the gym from hitting a weight-machine but was finishing moments later so looked after the bleeding/plaster myself from what I had in my car.

My thinking is that it would be far easier to ask the staff for forgiveness for stepping behind the counter and getting what first-aid was needed than try look for forgiveness within myself for wasting time waiting for staff.

Have you found yourself in the above position - What did you do?
    Or
    What do you think you'd like to do should you find yourself in that position?

Staff can get called away.
    Something could've happened in the pool-area that required more staff taken from the gym section.
    Anything could've been the reason for no staff appearing for over 5mins to the counter-area.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I never wait for staff, I go back and take my towel or my token (I leave a token for the towel) and keep on going. I don't think it is a big deal, they have said go on ahead to me before anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,323 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If there was an emergency then simply shout HELP.
    Staff will come running.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'd probably run around in circles hysterically hoping someone else would help before I had to make the decision.

...but seriously - in those situations, go for it - always better to ask for forgiveness than not wish you'd waited for permission.

Advertisement