Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

start jogging?

Options
  • 02-11-2015 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I want to start jogging but stupid as it sounds I have no idea how to go about it!! do I just go out and jog as far as I can or do I jog for a few mins then walk for a bit then jog again etc. all I really wat uot of it is to get fit I'm not looking to run any marathons. I am completely unfit at the moment and I get hardly any exercise, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Look up the Couch To 5K (C25K) program. There's an app for it too. Sounds kinda like what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mountain Rescue

Firstly you should be able to walk 5k or so pretty comfortabley.if not that should be your first goal.if you feel you can do that then you will have no problem been able to run 5k by new years day.the most important part of learning to run is your pace.so that means that your fastest walk is your slowest run.
    When you start to run do not get any quicker than when you were walking.by doing this you will be able to control your breathing much better.next is your distances so you should try and find a nice flat area train on.it can be an athletics track,housing estate, greenway or a back road somewhere.just try and keep it as flat as possible.next to impossible here in mayo:-)
    Start of with 100meters walking comfortable and without getting any faster run for 150meters.if your doing it by time get yourself an interval timer app and walk for 1min and run for 1.30 repeat this for about 40min in total taking a small break half way through if you need it.
    You must do this twice this week so ideally today or tomorrow and then Thursday or Friday.
    See how you get on and come back to here after your second run and il give you your next workout.remember as your running keep thinking about pace pace pace your fastest walk is your slowest run.
    So my only other words are.
    If you can walk the distance you can 100% run the distance.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'd totally recommend couch to 5k too. The first week is run for 60 secs then walk for 90 secs and do this 8 times and I found it so tough. Now I'm up to running for 25 mins straight. The C25K programme was great for me because I had a framework to it and a goal for each day of it. As the previous poster said, you can run as slow as you want and that's comfortable for you. It's all about learning to control your breathing and building up your stamina at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

It will be one of the best things you have done. Go for it!!! Couch to 5K is brilliant to get going. Many leisure athletic clubs out there too (my local one does a couch to 5k program with the added benefit of encouragement from people who have already gone through it).
    I started on a treadmill and got to 5k over a number of weeks/months, don't worry if you have to redo a week!! Exercise does make you feel better afterwards (you might not think so as you do it). I just wish I did it 10 years earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Firstly you should be able to walk 5k or so pretty comfortabley.if not that should be your first goal.if you feel you can do that then you will have no problem been able to run 5k by new years day.the most important part of learning to run is your pace.so that means that your fastest walk is your slowest run.
    When you start to run do not get any quicker than when you were walking.by doing this you will be able to control your breathing much better.next is your distances so you should try and find a nice flat area train on.it can be an athletics track,housing estate, greenway or a back road somewhere.just try and keep it as flat as possible.next to impossible here in mayo:-)
    Start of with 100meters walking comfortable and without getting any faster run for 150meters.if your doing it by time get yourself an interval timer app and walk for 1min and run for 1.30 repeat this for about 40min in total taking a small break half way through if you need it.
    You must do this twice this week so ideally today or tomorrow and then Thursday or Friday.
    See how you get on and come back to here after your second run and il give you your next workout.remember as your running keep thinking about pace pace pace your fastest walk is your slowest run.
    So my only other words are.
    If you can walk the distance you can 100% run the distance.
    Good luck
    If you are in a rural location, might be worth checking your local GAA pitch to see if they have put in a path around the outline of pitch.
    Something nobody has mentioned yet is footwear, make sure the runners you wear are comfortable and fit for running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I can only +1 what the rest have said. Download the C25K app, you should get it free, and go with it. The first few weeks are tough, physically and mentally, as you struggle and wonder how on earth you are going to be able to run any more that 10 mins without stopping. But just keep with the plan, repeat days you are not happy with and after about a month you will notice a difference. Also if there is a locally run couch to 5k program, it's also helpful to run with other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If you want to run with other beginners look out for a local Fit for Life group- they will help you go from walker to runner. Park Run is a free 5k run/walk every Saturday in various locations. Great for beginners and will give you something to aim for. They have a website with locations and times. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I'm just dropping in to give another recommendation to go for Couch to 5K.

When I started I was completely unfit - but I wanted to try running because of physical and mental benefits. I didn't buy anything special to start, I just went out in tights and a long t-shirt I had in the house, and my regular runners I wore - but always at 11pm because I was so mortified!
    I was difficult to start with, but made me feel better about myself every session I did, and it did start to get easier after a few gos.
    I stuck religiously to the program, going three times a week, and, as the program states, I was able to run for 30 minutes straight in just 9 weeks (although not as far as 5km). The confidence boost that gave me I will never forget.

Fast forward almost 3 years and I still run 3 times a week, although I'm still not very fast - that's fine with me.

I'm healthy, feel fantastic, and do all sorts of other things I never thought I'd do - yoga 3 times a week, acting classes, all sorts!

I've done a few 5km and 10km races, but just going out and doing my regular 6km route, by myself, is really what gives me the most pleasure.

So download a C25K app, and don't think overthink it - just make the time (about 30 minutes) follow the instructions, and go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mullanp

Thanks for all the advice I downloaded the couch to 5k app and I will be starting this Monday. I put it off until then because I wanted to be off the cigs for a while and get my breathing back close to normal before I started. Thanks again everyone much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 paric

flazio wrote: »
    If you are in a rural location, might be worth checking your local GAA pitch to see if they have put in a path around the outline of pitch.
    Something nobody has mentioned yet is footwear, make sure the runners you wear are comfortable and fit for running.
    I'm going to start on the Fit for Life and couch to 5k sounds just what I need, you mention footwear, what arch support runner would you recommend?
    Just one brand and model couldn't be bothered with trying a load on.
    Thanks very much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

paric wrote: »
    I'm going to start on the Fit for Life and couch to 5k sounds just what I need, you mention footwear, what arch support runner would you recommend?
    Just one brand and model couldn't be bothered with trying a load on.
    Thanks very much

Depends on your foot. Different feet need different levels of support. There's rarely a one-size-fits-all. Get a gait analysis and they'll make a recommendation that will take the trying loads of pairs out of it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

I started a Couch to 5K in May 2013 aged 51 after years of not doing too much exercise (a banjaxed knee). Really enjoyed the group I was with and the encouragement/support from the experienced runners. Buddied up with a runner of similar age and pace which was very useful.

Main problem I found was hydration; gagging for water during the sessions. Now much better.

There was a 5mile race on locally shortly after I finished the C25K and this became the next goal.

Have built the miles, t-shirt and bling collection etc since then and managed to complete the Dublin Marathon last month. Never going to be an elite runner and could do with losing another stone or so but still enjoying the buzz of getting out for a run. The C25K was one of the best things I've done to date.

Advertisement