Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S5 transferable warranty

Options
  • 01-11-2015 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

I purchased my Galaxy S5 on adverts in December last year, I have flashed a custom Cyanogenmod ROM on the phone, Today the phone battery went dead and after a charge wouldn't turn on, but did vibrate a few times, I manged to get it into download mode once, but can't since.

When I try do anything with the phone, turn it on, enter download mode, it vibrates twice, it then starts to get extremely hot quickly, if I remove the battery and insert it again sometimes it vibrates on the insert.

I'm sure the issue is a hardware fault and not an issue with the ROM, it's been on the phone for months.

I have many years experience repairing phones and other tech and was about to strip her down, when I though to check the warranty on the phone.

She's good till October next year.

I have the receipt from the guy I bought the phone off, so I'd like to know firstly is the warranty transferable to me?

Secondly, I'm worried about the ROM on the phone, Will this void my warranty? assuming I send it back to them, if they cant get it to power on they'll have no way to know I flashed the phone, I know they can check if the phone even attempts to boot, but she seems hard bricked to me.

Thirdly, there is crack on the screen that has been there since a mishap during the summer, no way related to my current issue, could this be a problem with the warranty?

Anyone been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

According to this the warranty is transferable between end users
    http://www.samsung.com/ie/support/warranty/
    (Click 'Your Samsung Warranty')

I suspect having any rom except an official Samsung could void your warranty though, but I probably would not mention that. What I would mention is the crack has been on the screen since the Summer and the phone has been working perfectly since then, up until now. Otherwise you will be quoted for the repair to the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

IWarranty stays with the device, however flashing any custom ROM voids the warranty as will the cracked screen Generally you would be quoted for the screen repair and any other issue would be dealt with via warranty.
    However as the ROM is custom usually Samsung will tell you to jog on.
    1st check undertaken by repair centre will be a check of the flash counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Krazzzzy Kay

banie01 wrote: »
    IWarranty stays with the device, however flashing any custom ROM voids the warranty as will the cracked screen Generally you would be quoted for the screen repair and any other issue would be dealt with via warranty.
    However as the ROM is custom usually Samsung will tell you to jog on.
    1st check undertaken by repair centre will be a check of the flash counter.

I'm pretty sure they can't check the flash counter unless they can boot into the phone.

Surely I can say I don't want a new screen, the crack on it is tiny, you cant even see it unless the phone is on.

So they have said the warranty is void because the phone was rooted, the main board is damaged and the cost of the repair is €165

After reading another thread on boards: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83920841

Another user posted a link

That references this law

I contacted my solicitor and she advised me that my consumer rights likely were being violated and that I could take it to the small claims court.

Does anybody have any input on this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The phone is sold with software that makes the unit work. By flashing a rom onto it the phone could now be working a bit harder etc but definately not at samsung had designed so I think they are right to charge you. Im also sure samsung themselves would distance themselves from this.

However what I would recomment is getting the phone repaired with fonefix as they will charge you around 141 to fix everything at once including the screen.

• Advertisement

jonny24ie wrote: »
    The phone is sold with software that makes the unit work. By flashing a rom onto it the phone could now be working a bit harder etc but definately not at samsung had designed so I think they are right to charge you. Im also sure samsung themselves would distance themselves from this.

However what I would recomment is getting the phone repaired with fonefix as they will charge you around 141 to fix everything at once including the screen.

Where did you get that price from if you don't mind me asking?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Where did you get that price from if you don't mind me asking?

I used them before, the prices are on their site so not sure if thats the price now or not.

Edit: Its 155, http://www.fonfix.ie/OnlineServices.aspx?newurl=price_matrix.aspx

I used them before, the prices are on their site so not sure if thats the price now or not.

They have no contact number or pricing on their site from what I can see?

Edit found the price list

There is one way to get around this:

1.Download KIES for your device from the Samsung website.

2. Open the 'Tools' option (or Windows equivalent) and click 'Enter Emergency Recovery'. You'll be prompted for the model number- enter SM-G900F.
    It'll connect to the internet and then you'll be asked for your serial number: you'll find this at the bottom of the panel below the battery.

3. Enter download mode, but don't click continue on your device yet. Connect the handset. You should (on the computer screen) see 'Connect the device' and a loading screen. Attach the phone, click continue, and it should download. This will wipe the device and add stock firmware. Let it run and finish.

4. When the phone is back working (if it does), enter recovery mode again. It should say 'Warranty Status 0' after the continue screen. Now it looks like nothing ever happened. If this doesn't work, you could root your device (as normal), use 'Triangle Away' to hide the rooting and custom ROM history, and then unroot.

5. Send to Samsung. Done.

If you'd read my first comment you'd have noticed I can't get into download mode, if I could I wouldn't be in this situation.

Edit: Its 155, http://www.fonfix.ie/OnlineServices.aspx?newurl=price_matrix.aspx

It's funny that you suggested these, this is where Samsung sent my phone for repair I was able to enter my IMEI number on their site and check the status of my phone.

They've quoted me €10 more than the site quoted me, but have a walk in fee off €15, their prices are incredible, hard to believe really, most places would charge more than that for just a screen replacement.

I'm surprised I haven't come across them before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement