Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most horrific horror films...

Options
  • 01-11-2015 10:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I really enjoyed the Human Centipede series.

Also a couple of Lars Van Triers movies - Nymphomaniac in particular was excellent.

Dead Girl - I heard it was graphic, but was actually kind of disappointing.

120 of Sodom - got tiresome quick.

August Underground Mordom - I haven't actually seen it, but I hear it's just kind of like a compilation of messed up videos, with no real logical movie plot.

Any others??

Martyrs - But I think that's in French.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Threads.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For this thread to have any hope, you'll want to be providing more discussion as to what you liked about the films you mention and why you think they're particularly horrific. Otherwise it's just another list thread.

I'm not a huge gorehound when it comes to horror, I tend to prefer psychological horror. Having said that, Martyrs is a particular standout in that not only was it relentlessly grim in terms of the physical ordeals featured, but it also went to some effort to provide some motivation to its antagonists beyond the usual "Because EEEEEEEEEEEEEEVILLLLLLL!" that's all too common in horror films. It is a French film so subtitles will be involved if you want to watch it, but IMO it's worth it.

Another one I like a lot is Sleep Tight - it revolves around a protagonist who dedicates his life to making the lives of others miserable, but it has a very strong psychological thriller element and the central battle of wills is quite gripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,084 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pet Sematary, that damn black cat still scares me nearly 25 years after I first seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I really enjoyed the Human Centipede series.

Also a couple of Lars Van Triers movies - Nymphomaniac in particular was excellent.

Dead Girl - I heard it was graphic, but was actually kind of disappointing.

120 of Sodom - got tiresome quick.

August Underground Mordom - I haven't actually seen it, but I hear it's just kind of like a compilation of messed up videos, with no real logical movie plot.

Any others??

Martyrs - But I think that's in French.

Mordum is ultra low budget but it certainly packs a punch. Its set up is that it follows a trio of serial killers around and we are watching what they filmed, there is a scene towards the end that personally I thought was worse than the most infamous scene in A Serbian Film.

A lot of people can't get by the grainy look of it along with the content but I personally like it for what it is.

Daddy's Little Girl is an exceptionally brutal Australian revenge movie, there are some unbelievably harsh scenes of torture in it.

American Guinea Pig "Bouquet of Guts and Gore" was released this year. It follows the same premise of its Japanese predecessors and is essentially 2 women getting tortured and dismembered for 70 odd minutes.

Visceral : Between the Ropes of Madness is a nasty little piece of filth from Chile of all places, quite art house but pretty brutal viewing.

Headless is an exploitation tribute movie, released this year. Its not a great flick but there is some decent brutality in it.

Shoguns Sadism is a rough 1970s horror from Japan which features some excellent gore and cringe inducing scenes.

For something to test your limits check of Lucifer Valentines "vomit gore trilogy" Slaughtered Vomit Dolls, Re-Goregitated Sacrifice and Slow Torture Puke Chamber. They are essentially vomit fetish movies masquerading as art. If you can handle real vomit, and lots of it, the movies do feature some really good gore set pieces with some excellent looking effects. Part 4 - Black Mass of the Nazi Sex Wizard - was released this year. I've yet to see it but with a title like that I'm not expecting much deviation from the formula.

Finally I'd recommend my personal favourite slasher from this century, Murder Set Pieces. The story follows a serial killer around Vegas as he dispatches various unfortunates in increasingly brutal fashion. The effects work in this film are some of the best I've ever seen and all are practical, man made effects.

Don't forget about some of the 80s classics, particularly The New York Ripper and Maniac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I also agree with Martys

Awesome, one of my favorites...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1029234/?ref_=nv_sr_2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 vinegar_zombie

Pet Sematary, that damn black cat still scares me nearly 25 years after I first seen it.

I seen that as a kid and I still cannot forget the deformed sister...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Audition for me, especially because of how ordinary and clean the first hour is. It's like a pleasant daydream that turns into the nastiest, most unsettling nightmare imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think I enjoyed Daddy's Little Girl, as much as you can enjoy that kind of thing but it was very uncomfortable to watch at times. Conflicted between wanting the "victim" to be punished/caused pain and not wanting the "hero" to become a total monster himself in gaining his justice. Engrossing watch anyway and though I probably wouldn't watch it again I would recommend it to anyone looking for that kind of film.

Martyrs is a classic imo, a fantastic film and if you get put off by subtitles you are really cutting off a world of great cinema to yourself.

I like some of the others mentioned, but a special word goes to that abomination of a film, A Serbian Film. That was one of the worst pieces of **** I have ever seen, I would never recommend anyone watch it and though the point of it was of course to be brutally shocking and leave people feeling genuinely harrowed/abused themselves by the end of it I see no place for that in the world of cinema, or art. It was disgusting, for being disgusting sake. No great message, nothing to take away from the film except that some people have very warped minds.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

White Noise. The Last Rites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I think that's one of those ones were if you didn't see it when you were young it holds no power.

I saw it as an adult and found it dull and laughable in places.

And I'm normally freaked out by anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

Mordum is ultra low budget but it certainly packs a punch. Its set up is that it follows a trio of serial killers around and we are watching what they filmed, there is a scene towards the end that personally I thought was worse than the most infamous scene in A Serbian Film.

A lot of people can't get by the grainy look of it along with the content but I personally like it for what it is.

Daddy's Little Girl is an exceptionally brutal Australian revenge movie, there are some unbelievably harsh scenes of torture in it.

American Guinea Pig "Bouquet of Guts and Gore" was released this year. It follows the same premise of its Japanese predecessors and is essentially 2 women getting tortured and dismembered for 70 odd minutes.

Visceral : Between the Ropes of Madness is a nasty little piece of filth from Chile of all places, quite art house but pretty brutal viewing.

Headless is an exploitation tribute movie, released this year. Its not a great flick but there is some decent brutality in it.

Shoguns Sadism is a rough 1970s horror from Japan which features some excellent gore and cringe inducing scenes.

For something to test your limits check of Lucifer Valentines "vomit gore trilogy" Slaughtered Vomit Dolls, Re-Goregitated Sacrifice and Slow Torture Puke Chamber. They are essentially vomit fetish movies masquerading as art. If you can handle real vomit, and lots of it, the movies do feature some really good gore set pieces with some excellent looking effects. Part 4 - Black Mass of the Nazi Sex Wizard - was released this year. I've yet to see it but with a title like that I'm not expecting much deviation from the formula.

Finally I'd recommend my personal favourite slasher from this century, Murder Set Pieces. The story follows a serial killer around Vegas as he dispatches various unfortunates in increasingly brutal fashion. The effects work in this film are some of the best I've ever seen and all are practical, man made effects.

Don't forget about some of the 80s classics, particularly The New York Ripper and Maniac.

Christ, thats some list. Ive watched Martyrs and came very close to turning it off...I don't think I could sit through any of that.

A song for you :)

http://www.professorelemental.com/track/609286/we-love-horror?feature_id=108714

brevity wrote: »
    Christ, thats some list. Ive watched Martyrs and came very close to turning it off...I don't think I could sit through any of that.

A song for you :)

http://www.professorelemental.com/track/609286/we-love-horror?feature_id=108714

Hah, ya, I watch alot messed up stuff.

:)

Why I love and have always loved horror is that it has the power to evoke a reaction in me that virtually no other genre can.

I like to push my limits but I cannot stomach YouTube videos of people getting injured like when they are skate boarding, that kinda thing just shrivels me up inside.

I guess I can separate movies from the real world easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Not sure if classified as a horror or just horrific but irreversible. Pretty disturbing and shot and produced in a distressing and confusing manner. The low frequency sound through the opening section of the film would almost make you turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Is irreversible the one with the
    rape scene featuring Monica Belluci?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Is irreversible the one with the
    rape scene featuring Monica Belluci?

Yes. The fire extinguisher scene was horrific too!!

Has anyone seen Sheitan? Fooked up French horror with Vincent Cassell, loved it but it's a mindfook!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Threads (1984) - very harrowing film.
    Cannibal Holocaust (1980) - pretty gross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

frag420 wrote: »
    Yes. The fire extinguisher scene was horrific too!!

Has anyone seen Sheitan? Fooked up French horror with Vincent Cassell, loved it but it's a mindfook!!

Never heard of sheitan but gonna have to look it up. Vincent cassell is generally good in anything I see him in

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Day of the Dead'

By far and away the best horror film I have ever seen and I've seen a stupid amount.

Unrelentingly grim and doom laden as horror should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The Saw films are horrific and disturbing. Like being invited to an ISIS/al Qaeda kangaroo court.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Inside is a harrowing tight French film set in a single location like Martyrs

keeping with the French theme High Tension/ Switchblade Romance is another gory thriller that lingers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Skerries wrote: »
    Inside is a harrowing tight French film set in a single location like Martyrs

keeping with the French theme High Tension/ Switchblade Romance is another gory thriller that lingers

I keep meaning to check out Inside and a few other French horror films, there seem to have been several over the last few years that are a good match to my tastes.

Having said that, I enjoyed Switchblade Romance as a 'watch once' film, but
    the daft twist at the end
    means I wouldn't be pushed about watching it again.

There's really only two worth bothering with. 'Inside' and 'Martyrs' and the latter film is the better one by some distance.

The problem with the new French extreme cinema is that it's trades "horror" for gore and ends up being repulsive rather than scary.

'Martyrs' is scary because the viewer doesn't really know what's going on for a long time. It's best watched without knowing anything about it.

Tony EH wrote: »
    There's really only two worth bothering with. 'Inside' and 'Martyrs' and the latter film is the better one by some distance.

The problem with the new French extreme cinema is that it's trades "horror" for gore and ends up being repulsive rather than scary.

'Martyrs' is scary because the viewer doesn't really know what's going on for a long time. It's best watched without knowing anything about it.

Agreed 100%

I'd heard from Karl Hungus on here that it was excellent but I didn't read any reviews.

Picked it up in hmv, brought it home and watched it.

Completely blew me away and one of only a handful of movies that stayed with me for days after viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer really got under my skin when I watched it many years ago. It's one of a few movies I've seen that I'd be reluctant to return to but would still strongly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

watched martyrs years ago,still stuck with me,haven't watched/seen anything that has messed with my head as much since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭droidman123

I have sheitan downloaded,but I cant find an srt subtitle.i can hardcode it myself,but after extensive search no joy for the srt,i really want to see this movie

I have sheitan downloaded,but I cant find an srt subtitle.i can hardcode it myself,but after extensive search no joy for the srt,i really want to see this movie

You can buy it used on eBay for about €5.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

Kev W wrote: »
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer really got under my skin when I watched it many years ago. It's one of a few movies I've seen that I'd be reluctant to return to but would still strongly recommend.

I watched this film upon this recommendation.

It wasn't bad.

It held my attention for the first half, but kind of got repetitive after.

I certainly didn't find it disturbing.
    I guess those old style films don't really have the production value to be truly disturbing.

That being said, it IS disturbing that it's actually based on a true story.

There's not a lot in 'Henry' that's the truth though. Henry Lee Lucas did know an fella called Otis Toole, with whom he was supposed to be sexually involved with.

I'm not sure, but I think Becky (Otis' sister) is a fictional character, or a composite of a number of people. Most likely influenced by Toole's niece.

None of the murders match any of the real life murders that Lucas carried out, although McNaughton has said the his film is based more on Lucas' stories, rather then real life and as Lucas was a notorious liar, it's safe to assume that he made up a great deal of anything he's said.

That said, it's still a good picture, but i was surprised at how tame it actually was given the worry over its certification from the BBFC in the 90's. I remember all of that and thinking it must be one hard hitting film. Then when I saw it was some what confused at all the fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

Agreed 100%

I'd heard from Karl Hungus on here that it was excellent but I didn't read any reviews.

Picked it up in hmv, brought it home and watched it.

Completely blew me away and one of only a handful of movies that stayed with me for days after viewing.

Same as myself.

It still stays with me, like a shadow.

Advertisement