Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any risk of anything?

Options
  • 01-11-2015 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

Im back from a house party, I snuck off and had sex with a guy(it was more romantic/innocent than it reads)...he didn't wear a condom. It was both our first times, so we should be okay, right? As in nothing there to give each other? I told my sister (had to, fair obvious something had happened)(she picked me up) and she says I need to get a pep straight away in the morning(?)
    What should I do? We're both clean so it should be fine, but the more she talks the more worried I get :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Did you penetrate him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

He penetrated me... I know that's meant to be riskier

• Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭28064212

mattP wrote: »
    It was both our first times
    Really? It's lucky there was a certified neutral third-party to hand that could verify that.

IF it was both your first times having any form of sexual contact, you're fine*. You have no way of truely verifying that though, so get tested, and use condoms in the future

*Well, almost certainly, there could be some insanely unusual disease transmission happening.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Did he blow his load into you?

28064212 wrote:
    IF it was both your first times having any form of sexual contact, you're fine*. You have no way of truely verifying that though, so get tested, and use condoms in the future
    I trust him, so this comes as a great relief, Its just she got so much in my head shouting so many different things at me.... I definitely will be safe in future though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I must say though you are handling this quite well, you either have good coping skills or have underestimated the situation you placed yourself in. When you say you trust him, is he a boyfriend/partner or an acquaintance? I'm guessing not a stranger at least.

Statistically the risk is low if everything is as you say it is and neither of you has had a previous partner, male or female.

Do you intend any kind of follow up as your sister has recommended?
    she says I need to get a pep straight away in the morning(?)

If taking PEP it should be started within 72 hours for it to be most effective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

He penetrated me... I know that's meant to be riskier

Actually it's the other way 'round. The lining of the anus is far more hospitable to STI's therefore the penetrater is at a far higher risk.

You took the lower risk believe it or not. If you trust it's his first time the you've nothing to worry about. You may have to wait a while to get tested though, not much will show up this early.

Also, the first few times taking are rough... it get's better. Promise!

I must say though you are handling this quite well, you either have good coping skills or have underestimated the situation you placed yourself in. When you say you trust him, is he a boyfriend/partner or an acquaintance? I'm guessing not a stranger at least.
    He's a friend. I guess thats kind of a grey area now though
    Also, the first few times taking are rough... it get's better. Promise!
    Ive a free house later so hes coming over 🙈 I'll be 100% sober so im half scared how it'll go down :c

Do you intend any kind of follow up as your sister has recommended?
    You took the lower risk believe it or not. If you trust it's his first time the you've nothing to worry about. You may have to wait a while to get tested though, not much will show up this early.
    Should I get tested/ a pep? I trust him, so it should all be okay. I know "he could have lied about being a virgin" but I don't think so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't take chances again. You really have know way of being absolutely sure it was his first time.
    Be careful and enjoy yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Cynortas

IT certainly wouldnt be any harm just to go get tested anyway just in case better than spending the next 6 months with it in the back of ur head

Cynortas wrote:
    IT certainly wouldnt be any harm just to go get tested anyway just in case better than spending the next 6 months with it in the back of ur head

What does testing involve? Can my gp do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

"Trust me it's my first time and don't need to use a condom" said no man ever.

You are naive, but probably fine. But only guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What part of the country are you in? Your GP can do it, or if you have a local GUM clinic you can get tested there for free. It's pretty simple and it's good practice now that you're sexually active to go 2/3 times a year as condoms don't cover everything! Also you should wait about a week as things don't screen immediately.

If you talk to him and discover you need PEP, don't even finish the conversation, go to A&E immediately. Not all GPs are licenced to prescribe it.

Enjoy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

ninty9er wrote: »
    Also you should wait about a week as things don't screen immediately.

"PEP must begin within 72 hours of exposure"

https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/prevention/reduce-your-risk/post-exposure-prophylaxis/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Read the whole post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Should I get tested/ a pep?

That is up to you. Your GP can do it, there are also numerous clinics around the country that will do it for free. You can have a look at the resources sticky at the top of this forum if you are still worried.

For sexual health information, including information on free STI testing and PEP, this is a useful site www.man2man.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AshfieldM10

Im back from a house party, I snuck off and had sex with a guy(it was more romantic/innocent than it reads)...he didn't wear a condom. It was both our first times, so we should be okay, right? As in nothing there to give each other? I told my sister (had to, fair obvious something had happened)(she picked me up) and she says I need to get a pep straight away in the morning(?)
    What should I do? We're both clean so it should be fine, but the more she talks the more worried I get :(

I'm happy for you your first time was special for both of you

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Actually it's the other way 'round. The lining of the anus is far more hospitable to STI's therefore the penetrater is at a far higher risk.

Nope. Receptive intercourse carries a higher infection incidence than insertive. Receiving partner is at greater risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

You really need to start it ASAP, as in within 24 hours. Leaving it until 24 hours is too long.

How do you know its the guys first time? If he has lube going to guess it's not his first time. You should always have condoms in your wallet(I know it's not the best place to store them, but it's better than none).

• Advertisement

newacc2015 wrote:
    How do you know its the guys first time? If he has lube going to guess it's not his first time. You should always have condoms in your wallet(I know it's not the best place to store them, but it's better than none).
    He didn't have lube... neither of us came to the party with the idea of it happening, it just sort of did. I brought it up again today and he says it was his first time too, and I believe him, so I don't think I will get a pep. I don't intend to sleep with any other guys so I think ill be alright for a while.
    I know some of you might think im stupid but I do trust him... Thanks for all the advice, I definitely need to know these things

• Registered Users Posts: 40,986 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He didn't have lube... neither of us came to the party with the idea of it happening, it just sort of did. I brought it up again today and he says it was his first time too, and I believe him, so I don't think I will get a pep. I don't intend to sleep with any other guys so I think ill be alright for a while.
    I know some of you might think im stupid but I do trust him... Thanks for all the advice, I definitely need to know these things

You should both get tested and if you are having sex inf future make sure it is always protected.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

A quick word of warning for your friend OP; if he penetrated you without a condom then he might be at risk of getting a urinary tract infection. So if he notices something amiss "down there", tell him to go to a GP asap. UTIs aren't very serious, and a week-long course of antibiotics is generally enough to get rid of them, but they're still rather unpleasant and can come as a shock if it happens after your first time.

Also be aware that PEP, for all its usefulness, isn't something to be taken lightly. It is a harsh treatment and can have side effects. In all probability, you and your friend will both be fine, just be more careful in future. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

So you meet a "friend" you both have UNPROTECTED sex, but its ok because you trust him.
    Seriously in this day and age, one would have thought that people would kop the F**k on.
    People are still contacting HIV and it is continuing to go up despite, the warnings.
    I am sure those that contacted HIV didn't have unprotected with the full knowledge that the other guy was infected, they probably TRUSTED him!

You owe it to yourself to go and get tested this week.

Trusting someone and having unprotected sex is in my opinion foolish and stupid.
    I am sorry there is NO excuse to have unprotected sex with anyone.

Mr.Frame wrote:
    So you meet a "friend" you both have UNPROTECTED sex, but its ok because you trust him. Seriously in this day and age, one would have thought that people would kop the F**k on. People are still contacting HIV and it is continuing to go up despite, the warnings. I am sure those that contacted HIV didn't have unprotected with the full knowledge that the other guy was infected, they probably TRUSTED him!
    Trust. So? Whats the world without it?He is my friend and ive known him years. It wasn't as black and white as hooking up with some randomer. I understand there is risks but you can't live your life always fearing them blindly. We assessed the situation and decided to go for it - I wouldn't go back and undo it. It was special, thanks to trust.
    Mr.Frame wrote:
    Trusting someone and having unprotected sex is in my opinion foolish and stupid. I am sorry there is NO excuse to have unprotected sex with anyone.
    I understand where youre coming from and I appreciate that. But I think sometimes you just have to grab life by the balls, as the phrase goes. Im not saying people should be reckless, im just saying that sometimes you have to be in the moment and live.
    I don't think im really conveying my point well. I know unsafe sex is dangerous(hence the "unsafe"), but I believe that in the right low risk situations its okay to go for it. Maybe im just naive to the world...

I think the hostile attitude towards the op is unnecessary. He has asked about the risks and has been given several opinions (unqualified) and provided with information to look up if he so wishes, in order to make an informed choice, which he has duely done.

mattP with that in mind I think it's pertinent you understand why you are going to be on the receiving end of some barbed comments, STIs affect the gay/bi community in a completely disproportionate way when compared to heterosexual statistics, it is actually scary when you really get right into the numbers. As an example, there is a thread about the 2014 HIV statistics. 2 key points to take from that thread is that the average age has gone down (ie, more younger guys are getting infected) and MSM (Men who have sex with men) is once again, for the 10th year in a row, the fastest growing category. This is not to alarm you, just to give you the facts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057447154

Look you have known your friend for a long time, and trust him implicitly, and that's good enough for you, I understand your logic.

The only piece of advice that I have to offer here, and the crux of the negative tone of this thread, is that your way of thinking will have to change in the future, when you hit college for example. Unprotected sex at that stage is simply a foolish endeavor and the more you do it the higher the probability it will end badly. Posters who have told you to always have safe sex, and to get tested as appropriate, are doing so because it's simply best practice and common sense. We are not new to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    So you meet a "friend" you both have UNPROTECTED sex, but its ok because you trust him.
    Seriously in this day and age, one would have thought that people would kop the F**k on.
    People are still contacting HIV and it is continuing to go up despite, the warnings.
    I am sure those that contacted HIV didn't have unprotected with the full knowledge that the other guy was infected, they probably TRUSTED him!

You owe it to yourself to go and get tested this week.

Trusting someone and having unprotected sex is in my opinion foolish and stupid.
    I am sorry there is NO excuse to have unprotected sex with anyone.

Eh? You might want to read up on HIV testing. Even the most advanced testing can't pick HIV up for about 10 days. The general testing is Irish hospitals (the 4th gen Elisa) is pretty accurate after 28 days and conclusive from seek 6-12 depending on the organisations opinion.

OP always use water based lube for anal sex(oil based eg Vaseline damage condom's). If you don't use lube there is a risk of anal bleeding and higher risk of sti infection

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Labreya

OP, from now on you should probably keep some lube and condoms handy on you in the event that something like this happens again. It's easy to get caught up in the moment.

I'd recommend getting tested, whether you think your friend is clean or not. Get into a habit of getting tested if you're sexually active. It just makes sense. It's much better to do it and not have needed it, than to need it and not have done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Trust. So? Whats the world without it?He is my friend and ive known him years. It wasn't as black and white as hooking up with some randomer. I understand there is risks but you can't live your life always fearing them blindly. We assessed the situation and decided to go for it - I wouldn't go back and undo it. It was special, thanks to trust.

I understand where youre coming from and I appreciate that. But I think sometimes you just have to grab life by the balls, as the phrase goes. Im not saying people should be reckless, im just saying that sometimes you have to be in the moment and live.
    I don't think im really conveying my point well. I know unsafe sex is dangerous(hence the "unsafe"), but I believe that in the right low risk situations its okay to go for it. Maybe im just naive to the world...

You are.

I know personally several young gay people in their twenties, including high profile gays who have been infected with HIV.

People don't look like they have HIV, people who have cautious limited sex lives can be infected. It can happen to anyone and as a young gay man who is bottoming unprotected you are especially at risk. I am not trying to scare you but this is the reality.

Get tested, carry condoms and use them in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

The last sentence in your reply is the only "sensible" thing you have said .
    "Maybe 'I'm just naive to the world",
    Yes you are, completely and utterly.

I make no excuses for being harsh on you.
    I have had some dealings with people (young and old) who had unprotected sex , because they "trusted" the other guy and he said he was "clean", but these people are now HIV.

I'll say it again, when it comes to sex, you MUST ALWAYS play safe, regardless of how drunk you are, how friendly you are with this other guy, or because hes a friend or because you trust him .

Advertisement