Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

samsung UE43J5600 TV wont connect to internet

Options
  • 31-10-2015 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Just bought one of these and I cant get it to connect to the internet. Its connecting to my smartphone hotspot but wont connect to the internet. I found this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94451877

Does anyone know what the fix was? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

Have you tried setting static IP, Gateway & DNS settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭king2

wandererz wrote: »
    Have you tried setting static IP, Gateway & DNS settings?

I just tried setting the DNS to different settings I saw online while searching the problem to no avail. Can you explain static settings?, thanks

king2 wrote: »
    I just tried setting the DNS to different settings I saw online while searching the problem to no avail. Can you explain static settings?, thanks

In case your wireless router isn't handing out correct settings you can set one manually.

If you have a Windows laptop connected to the wireless then do the following :
    Open a command prompt window and type in ipconfig

This should show you the IP settings for the laptop.
    The fields you need to take note of are:
    - IP Address
    - Subnet Mask
    - Default Gateway
    - DNS

Of the above, the only one you need to change for the TV is the IP Address as it needs to be a unique address for each device.

To find a free address, take the IP Address that shows on your laptop and increment it by one.
    e.g. 192.168.10.2 -->192.168.10.3

To check that it is unused by another device you need to ping the address.
    Open another command prompt and ping the address.

C:\Users\User1>ping 102.168.10.3

Pinging 102.168.10.3 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 102.168.10.3:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

If it shows "Request timed out" and "100% loss" as above then the address can be used. If not, then increment the number until you see the above.

Then, on your TV, go to Network Status, IP Settings.
    Change from DHCP to Manual and enter your settings.

Remember, when you enter the settings the only value that changes is the IP Address, all other values remain the same.
    If you do need to try another DNS address then a common one to try is Google's DNS server which is 8.8.8.8

If you have a new TV then it may be running the Tizen Operating System rather than the previous one. So the Menu may be labelled differently.

If that does not work.
    Check the version of firmware/software thats on your TV.

Then check if there is a newer version available for download from Samsungs website.
    It may be possible to download onto a USB key and upgrade that way.

Thanks for that wandererz. I tried updating the firmware already, I'll try changing the IP

• Advertisement

Well no luck with that either I'm afraid. Seems to be some kind of problem at samsungs end....
    http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/samsung-smart-tv-unable-to-connect-to-internet-suddenly-637012/6/

To eliminate any incompatibility with your wifi, perhaps try turning on the wifi hotspot on your phone, if you have decent 4G coverage, and connect the TV to that to see if it connects.

It connects fine to the phone hotspot, I have good 3G coverage, Its not a 4G phone

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Can you plug it in via Ethernet ? is it close to the Router. Ive had the same issues with 2 samsung TVs, just gave up in the end and plugged in direct. Have not looked back since.

Nah,I dont have fixed Broadband, I just tether the PC, laptop and tablet off the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

king2 wrote: »
    Nah,I dont have fixed Broadband, I just tether the PC, laptop and tablet off the phone.

Got ya,

not sure what you may gain then from tethering a TV to the net though.

Netflix and RTE Player will murder your monthly allowance,

And apps like facebook etc you already have on the phone / laptop.

Yip thats true, Its probably something I wont use much, Id just like to see it working

:confused:

It started working for no apparent reason. Very hungry on data though, seems to be downloading constantly even when you're not using internet features. not really usable without fixed broadband

Advertisement