Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

DNF

• 30-10-2015 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Decided to start this log as a way of motivating myself to keep a record of my training. I'm going into my second year as a junior and my second season of racing and training. My previous cycling experience was about 8 months of club cycles with riders of A4 level and below and one U16 race (which got me hooked). My first year as a junior didn't go as well as planned, got sick a couple of times over winter... A combination of poor nutrition, not getting enough sleep and training too hard once I started training again. As a result didn't end up finishing any of the Sunday races in the bunch... Usually I was dropped half way through, which then made me decide not to do the Junior Tour of Ireland, which was the main goal :/
    So this year I want to change all that, keeping training consistent but not ridiculous, sleeping and eating well and getting to all the races! I don't know if I'm aiming too high but I'd love to win a race this year, any race would do! :D and also most importantly do the junior tour, maybe try and finish in the top 30, but it's too early to be specific about that.
    Training wise it's 4 days a week, roughly 10 hours a week as follows
    Mon- OFF
    Tues- 3 hours
    We'd- OFF
    Thurs- 3 hours
    Fri- 45 min- 1hr on rollers or road.
    Sat-OFF
    Sun- Club ride plus some more of 3.5-4 hours (winter) which will be replaced by a race during the season.

The Tuesday and Thursday sessions increase in intensity as the season progresses, endurance pace for a few weeks before gradually adding in threshold efforts, then an anaerobic efforts will be added to these rides. Basically long really hard rides that simulate races and improve endurance :)
    Friday is cadence drills on rollers for now which will progress to sprints.
    My off days will have some upper body and core work.

I'll stick to this basic plan until my summer holiday anyways.

I've only been back training a bit more than a week now, I'll let you know how I'm getting along.
    Bye for now ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snoopytoop

First week done :) I was hoping to do 11 hours but the club being cancelled today due to bad weather meant I spent 9 1/2 hours in the saddle this week.
    I'll give an overview of the week:
    Mon- 45 mins easy on the rollers as I hadn't got out over the weekend as I was away.
    Tues- 3 hours z2/3 with 4x 30 sec standing starts. These gave me really tired legs for the next two days!
    Wed- 25 mins of upper body and core
    Thurs- 3 hours z1/2 as my legs were pretty tired
    Fri- 45 mins easy on roller with high cadence bursts
    Sat- rest
    Sun- 2 hours on turbo with 3x 20 min at sweet spot.

My HR monitor is broken so all these zones are estimates.
    Pretty satisfied with how the week went, I'm still pretty fresh now so that's good.
    I'll update this agin probably next week.
    Bye!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

^^^ That is pretty damn Good going for your first week! Wishing you the Very Best in your plans, training, fitness --> improvement, increse in general strength, health & well-being :)

Great Road ahead of you. Hopefully knowing this log is here will keep you motivated on those days we all get, when uuummmm, we might not 'push' ourselves that bit more ;)

Wishing you the Best,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement