Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Factual Correction

Options
  • 30-10-2015 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Let me start my first post on boards by saying I’m not trying to hide my identity, I think all posters should identify themselves. Many of you will guess from my handle that I am Gerry Graham and the reason for this post is simple. Colm Daly has brought back the irishchessunion.net site as, wait for it, “Not the Irish Chess Union” web site. He had retired the site after the AGM, and re-directed it to the official ICU site, but sometime in the past few days, he’s started it up again.

I am not here to debate any points he’s making there, I am not here to defend anyone he’s commenting on in his prolixious article entitled :

New ICU Executive Retire IRISHCHESSUNION.NET Website Resource.

I am simply here to correct one major piece of incorrect information that the article claims about me. In the article, he says that I am, and I quote “currently before a Fide disciplinary committee”

This is not true, I am not, nor have I ever been, involved in any disciplinary action by FIDE in any way. I have checked with FIDE, in case this is true without my knowledge. FIDE informs me that it is not and they also went on to say that, should anyone find themselves a subject of any sort of disciplinary action by them, that person is immediately informed of this action.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tedjennings

And BTW neither am I as sugested at the AGM

Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ballynafeigh Chess

That's good to hear Ted, losing Gerry is managable sure we always have Paul and Brian to fall back on, Brian with the bigger beard and Paul with the more colourful shirts. However losing you would be a disaster Ted especially with christmas so close, the reindeers fed and watered and your lovely red suit all laid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phnompenhchess

I can confirm that IA Graham is in good standing with the Phnom Penh chess club. We will also buy him a glass of fine wine if he ever pitches up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tedjennings

I noticed that Colm Daly recently claimed that Gerry's comments were “Boloney”.
    However he (Colm) does not say which part of Gerry’s comments are in fact incorrect!
    Perhaps Colm might give some evidence that his (Colm’s) assertions are correct.
    As both Gerry and myself have only Colm’s authority hanging over us in this matter, we are as you can imagine “trembling in our boots” waiting for Colm’s pardon to continue with our lives.
    Ted Jennings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

I note Colm has hijacked an ICU resource. If the ICU choose to retire the web domain, it is to be left vacant until it expiries and then anyone can purchase it (registered on the 8-Jan-2015 so it expires on 8-Jan-2016 and has a month grace period - so the earliest it can be utilised by non-ICU business is the 8-Feb-2016). Either A. the last executive lied about the true nature of the Irish Chess Union . net site (It was just advertising for Colm's personal site - which would explain why he never changed the owner name on the domain)

or

B. Colm has hijacked an ICU resource to bad mouth chess players.

If it's B, Colm should be happy with a 5 year ban as standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Is it an ICU resource though? I remember seeing a post here that showed Colm Daly has the registered domain owner?

http://www.irishchessunion.net/?p=1261
    Colm Daly wrote:
    Accordingly as the person who actually facilitated the creation and hosting of this web resource at no cost to the ICU and made it clear that while I had registered the domain name, and enabled free hosting, both the domain name and the website where not in any way owned by me, and were the resource of the ICU alone, to do with whatever they wished. I was happy to be of help but gave full control and ownership to the ICU. Though that never stopped the lie peddled time after time to the contrary.
    The above paragraph seems to be contradicted by...
    Colm Daly wrote:
    However rather than just delete everything and “turn off” the website I have decided to leave it as it was, pending any further suggestions from anyone with any interest in this website and resource themselves.
    I don’t intend using it myself, and can’t even be bothered to do much of anything with http://www.irishchesscogitations.com/blog/ that I do actually own and am the admin for. (For now)

Given that we are heading into a very dark and difficult time for Irish chess and the ICU in particular, it seems perhaps still worthwhile to keep this web resource alive as a potential future useful tool for informing ICU members of developments and keeping a record of what goes on over the coming year?
    If he is able to make the decision to keep the resource alive and the ICU have explicitly stated that they are not responsible for the site, surely that would point towards Colm Daly having ownership and control of the website?

But it's a mute really I think. A site such as that will only keep on going so long as it has an audience. This forum is the target audience for the site. I think after many, many years of providing an audience for such a maverick character posts such as that are best left ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Couldn't agree more.

I did specifically ask the ICU exec at the AGM whether they had control over irishchessunion.net and it was made clear the ICU do. It is clear that is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

I did specifically ask the ICU exec at the AGM whether they had control over irishchessunion.net and it was made clear the ICU do. It is clear that is not the case.
    The 2014/15 Exec or the recently appointed Exec?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

The 2014/15 exec.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bunrattyman

Colm Daly, has taken over the irishchessunion,net site and is posting his own blend of mis-information and propaganda, and I'm normally not too concerned about such things, except when he's claiming that I am under some sort of FIDE disciplinary investigation. I am not, and the minutes of the FIDE Arbiter's commission meeting in Abu Dhabi, 2nd of September show exactly what was decided in relation to the Pete Morriss FA application. They were published on the FIDE website yesterday but I can't link to them.

No further action, save what these minutes show, was considered.

In any case, given the following points, I'm at a loss to think what FIDE could possibly investigate me for;

1. The Rating Officer Signature ? - I never sent this to FIDE, only to the rating officer in Ireland and so, as FIDE have advised me, this is an internal ICU matter, not for FIDE to consider.

2. The Irish Championship Norm 2014 ? - FIDE have already rejected this norm and Pete Morriss has replaced it with another norm instead. I was not the supervising arbiter for the rejected norm ( I was not even at the event, except for half of the final round ) so, again, what could FIDE be investigating me for in relation to that.

I look forward to Colm clarifying exactly what he thinks is "baloney" about my initial psot on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭2bts

I look forward to Colm clarifying exactly what he thinks is "baloney" about my initial psot on this thread.
    He had retired the site after the AGM, and re-directed it to the official ICU site, but sometime in the past few days, he’s started it up again.

The site was retired by the ICU to be a redirect to the ICU.ie site. Colm then took over the domain. So your "baloney" is that he retired the site, that was the ICU executive's decision.

Starting up again is also baloney as he has hijacked it as his personal blog. The ICU have never started it up again.

We can see now why he never changed the domain register to the ICU (as I've pointed out numerous times) so he could hijack it after he left office.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

2bts wrote: »
    Relevant item is under paragraph 11.

Can't really copy and paste and the minutes seem to be scanned rather than pdf-ed. But basically -

> First norm application turned down as only 5 of 9 rounds were attended - so invalid
    > Second norm application described as "valid" sent in by Pete Morriss himself, not the ICU. Application on hold pending more information, and a final decision will be sent to the next FIDE Presidential Board. Noted in the list at the end as "On hold"; "Investigation according to art 5.4"

The relevant article can be seen here and just means that the individual has submitted their own application after the federation refused to. So the investigation is to see why the ICU refused to submit the application.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Chess_Coach

Hello all ,

Pete have sent another application as the first one was rejected ( another tournament ) .Lets clear that .
    2. The Irish Championship Norm 2014 ? - FIDE have already rejected this norm and Pete Morriss has replaced it with another norm instead. I was not the supervising arbiter for the rejected norm ( I was not even at the event, except for half of the final round ) so, again, what could FIDE be investigating me for in relation to that.

At the start you were claiming that this norm is pending not rejected . You even wrote that some other documents should be sent however that was never the case it was rejected because someone was lying in this application . The application should never been sent on the first place as Ted knew it that Pete Morriss was not there 9 days . *snip*

I state here that
    The case of Pete Morris's wrong norm for his title application has been sent to the Disciplinary Subcommittee of the FIDE Arbiters' Commission.It will be discussed at the very next meeting . *snip* This email was sent to ICU EC in September 2015 . The simple email from ICU Secretary to FIDE will give us truth . Do they know that ? What has to be punished here is bad intention by applicant sending the IA Norm while knowing that he does not deserve that ? *snip*

Hello

Hi. I see you are back from your previous ban. Do not post attacks or name-calling. Attack a post not the poster and certainly do not post allegations without proof.

*mod snip* proof for what really?

*mod snip* proof for what really?

Mod note: Please do not post insults to people here. This is now a warning to cease insulting posters here. Provide proof for ANY and ALL accusations you are making. Please read the forum charter.

It was prooved that ia norm was rejected <modsnip>

It was prooved that ia norm was rejected <modsnip>

It was a FA norm and the norm for the Irish championships 2014 was not accepted (note: no mention of wrongdoing - i.e. no "bad intentions").

It then states Pete submitted a valid norm but the ICU would not submit it. That norm is on hold to get more details - again it does not indicate wrongdoing by the ICU or by Pete.

It can determine the norm to be valid - that would be wrongdoing by the ICU to reject a valid application. They can determine the norm to be invalid which again does not indicate bad intentions from Pete as FIDE determine if a norm is suitable or not.

The norm was rejected because Pete was there only 5 days. The bad intention was to send application anyways. Chancers job. I will leave it with FIDE now as from email sent to ICU EC.is clear that this is not finished yet. The email was sent on 30th September to Then ICU Chairman. We will know more soon.

• Advertisement

The main confusion is that the first application for Irish 2014 was rejected. There is nothing that can be added there. It is over. This is what FIDE will look into again. All process.

the FIDe AC observed the Pete FA title application in Dubai, 7-9 and decided that his norm from 2014 Irish Seniors Championships is not acceptable because he was not present in the four (4) of the nine (9) rounds of the event

So that one is gone and Pete have chance to submit ANOTHER valid norm for the FA title in his title application. Another means from different tournament and has nothing with 2014 !

The 2014 was rejected end of story !

Why in which name you want to hide this simple fact here .

In fact TJ was informed about this by email in August 2015. So sending this application in my view is bad intention and Chancer job ! So can Bunratty man answer am I correct Yes or No ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Lecale

For me, given how much corruption there is in FIDE, given the type of man who it elected president, why would anyone be particularly bothered about an incorrect application for a tournament arbiter position?

All this business of handing over money and paperwork to write out a wee note that says that Mr Somebody knows how to apply the rules in the FIDE handbook... isn't that already all a joke anyway?

If you want to take morality out and wave it around in the air, should you not be calling for withdrawing the ICU's membership of FIDE / boycotting fees? Or do we support the big lad tripping off to Libya to shake hands with Gaddafi, jaunting off to Syria to shake hands with Assad. No, let us face it, paperwork is more important right, especially when it comes down to writing the chess moves in the correct format.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Have you considered taking a case for defamation?

The biggest corruption in any sporting organization was under Presidency of Western man . The FIFA. If only FIFA had transparent accounts as FIDE. Lecale please find me accounts of FIFA or any Other sport organization online in next 24 hours . FIDE has them in cent at fide.com and what West have done from all those countries is very evident.

This is a chess forum, so why would I fish out details of FIFA here? Corruption is worldwide, absolutely worldwide, and I haven't said anything to the contrary here on this board. Do you want to address my original post, or do you plan to ask my opinion on Fly Fishing next?

So should FAI egzit the FIFA? Do you have indeed and proof of Corruption in FIDE please. The only proven case was Kasparov Leong contract at this stage. Sorry what was the Question? I am just proving your double standards and I do indeed ask you to prove corruption. KIRSAN was multi milioner when elected to Fide. 800 mil dolars plus . The Fide budget might be 20 mil . Tell me now what is that he can take from there please ? He gave 3 mil of his own money to Kasparov. He gave more then 20 to Fide in the past 10 years. Filatov the Russian CF president is one of the richest people in Russia. So this corruption claims of Fide are total nonsense. Filatov is richer then Chelsea owner Abramovich. Pls guys dont just spread informations around. Would you like to see ICU out of FiDE ? It is dificult to engage here as you all hide your indentity so you can write whatever you want imagining to be someone you want to be.

I don't care about football.
    You are complaining that somebody submitted an application form wrongly.
    Okay, very naughty!
    What about the organisation they submitted it to? Do you complain about that, or is it okay because they are in charge and we want to go to world tournaments and keep our mouths shut.
    Everyone knows how the president of FIDE came into power in his country, how he got his money, and how he kept it.

Sorry I dont know how lots of lies written on both side. Russia and West. However Fide didnt know about fake application and we will see how Fide will react. I hope they will act fast and punish all involved

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

However Fide didnt know about fake application and we will see how Fide will react.
    Can you provide proof the application was fake?

You seem to throw this accusation around a lot, saying you have proof, but never actually offering any.

Unsubstantiated allegations such as this are not allowed on boards.ie. If you're accusing named individuals of faking documents, you need to show some proof.

• Advertisement

I have seen signed application by officer which was not endorsed by EC

Advertisement