Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mumha Ulaidh Match Thread (Munster-Ulster for non-Gaels)

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

Full match, BBC coverage in English & HD

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

This is why it's important to have more than one player capable of kicking in your starting 15. Particularly when it comes to the Ireland squad

We do, in Stuart mcCloskey. Only, he could be in front of the posts and hit the corner flag or put out the flood light. The next he could get from half way...

You think I'm joking... I actually watched a kick in ravenspan of his reach the corner during practice haha.

Doak or ogara for kicking coach. Hmm?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

We do, in Stuart mcCloskey. Only, he could be in front of the posts and hit the corner flag or put out the flood light. The next he could get from half way...

You think I'm joking... I actually watched a kick in ravenspan of his reach the corner during practice haha.

Doak or ogara for kicking coach. Hmm?

Perhaps I should have said someone reliable for kicking :D

I meant more in terms of the Ireland team though. Jackson, Sexton and Madigan are the only ones you'd let kick and there's usually only one of them on at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

phog wrote: »
    Full match, BBC coverage in English & HD

How was this in HD when BBC2NI is SD? Also is TG4 not SD also?

TG4 has a HD channel but that's obviously not TG 4.

• Advertisement

Sorry, maybe it's not HD, I assumed it was as I thought the quality was much better than TG4

Out of curiosity, what channels do you people prefer to watch the games on?

As I just about understand English, never mind Irish, its only ever BBC for the league for me. Come the 6N I tend to watch RTE as its a bit more in depth than what the BBC can offer with sour bake Guscott and co. George Hook wont be missed by me anyway

edit - Sky Sports show the league, so of course Sky has to be watched and is a preference. Mainly due to a better overall 'experience'.... BBC only has 5 mins before and after KO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am likely to watch rugby (legally) on 10 broadcasters this season. This is how I rank them in terms of preference.

1: Sky Sports
    2: Rte
    3: BBC
    4: BT
    5: ITV
    6: Tv3
    7: BBC Wales
    8: S4c Red Button English
    9: Tg4
    10: BBC Alba

Sometimes it's nice to watch on TG4 and not completely understand what the commentators are saying.

The more of a sport you watch the more you realise that a lot of the commentary is basically the same thing every week. The Northern Irish guy on Sky Sports, for example, can be a massive pain depending on who is on with him. He was doing the Leinster match this past weekend and it was hard going for most of it.

Sometimes it's nice to watch on TG4 and not completely understand what the commentators are saying.

The more of a sport you watch the more you realise that a lot of the commentary is basically the same thing every week. The Northern Irish guy on Sky Sports, for example, can be a massive pain depending on who is on with him. He was doing the Leinster match this past weekend and it was hard going for most of it.

Is that Mark Robson? I completely forget his name. Tyrone Howe commentates at times but I would imagine you would know his voice

• Advertisement

Is that Mark Robson? I completely forget his name. Tyrone Howe commentates at times but I would imagine you would know his voice

Yeah, pretty sure it's Robson. It's like listening to a kid who nobody likes desperately trying to fit in with the cool kids and eventually resorting to insults in a last ditch attempt. Shocking.

Would you rather listen to.... Mark Robson or Jonathan Davies haha?

Would you rather listen to.... Mark Robson or Jonathan Davies haha?

Jonathan Davies was doing Rugby League commentary the other day. Has he switched sides or has he a foot in both camps?

Jonathan Davies was doing Rugby League commentary the other day. Has he switched sides or has he a foot in both camps?

I heard him commentate on league a number of years ago if I am not mistaken, so... Id imagine both camps (I dont know why I had league on, I genuinely don't like it ha)

He played league as well. Sure Andrew Cotter is primarily a golf commentator, what is that all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not sure who my favourite commentator is. I think Eddie Butler would be my favourite, but he is running out of games to commentate on these days. I quite like Alistair Eakin on BT but they all have their good points and bad points I suppose.

As far as the WC was concerned I think ITV excelled themselves, that was their best coverage to date.

errlloyd wrote: »
    He played league as well. Sure Andrew Cotter is primarily a golf commentator, what is that all about.

Also the Boat Race. Do not leave out the Boat Race :cool:

bilston wrote: »
    Not sure who my favourite commentator is. I think Eddie Butler would be my favourite, but he is running out of games to commentate on these days. I quite like Alistair Eakin on BT but they all have their good points and bad points I suppose.

As far as the WC was concerned I think ITV excelled themselves, that was their best coverage to date.

The issue with FTA/ ITV is the adverts and the drastically short analysis. I loves Skys build ups and the like

Andrew Cotter is actually my favourite though, his voice is so soothing, and his pacing really matches the contest. When the occasion demands I am also a fan of the old Corocoran on the Radio, any HD on the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If the same match was on ten different channels, I would pick TG4 first. I really like their commentator. Pundits are a different matter, wouldn't rate them, but I don't really listen to half-time analysis much anymore anyway.

• Advertisement

A bit later than normal - WTV's blog of the game.

Advertisement