Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Personal Trainer

Options
  • 30-10-2015 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Im interested in becoming a PT / Nutritionist and I was wondering what the best courses out there were in terms of qualifications and experience.
    Thanks 😀

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Use the search function.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

You just have to open an Instagram and Facebook page. Buy some coloured clothes and eat loads of quest bars. Say IIFYM a good bit in your posts and you are onto a winner.

You can probably get away with just being an online coach as well so you won't even have to leave your room.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tonto24

jive wrote: »
    You just have to open an Instagram and Facebook page. Buy some coloured clothes and eat loads of quest bars. Say IIFYM a good bit in your posts and you are onto a winner.

You can probably get away with just being an online coach as well so you won't even have to leave your room.

Why be such a douche?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

tonto24 wrote: »
    Why be such a douche?

A wild personal trainer appeared!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

tonto24 wrote: »
    Why be such a douche?

It's a pretty accurate assessment tbh.

Truth sometimes hurts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

daraghw wrote: »
    Im interested in becoming a PT / Nutritionist and I was wondering what the best courses out there were in terms of qualifications and experience.
    Thanks 😀

Loads of collages do sports nutrition courses. They'd give you a good grasp on the basics. You could go further with a sports science degree but that'd be a long way away.
    As for PT I'm not sure. Some courses do both. As for the best ones, maybe someone that's already qualified on here might guide you further

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I did the NCEF fitness instructor course.

It is recognised by the University of Limerick and gives you credits towards a degree should you choose to go down that line later on.

It is internationally recognised which is also a plus.

Educationally there is some good base knowledge there.

However some of the course information is extremely dated, as is the fitness instruction, there is mandatory Aerobics, exercising to music, step class routines that you have to do. I hated all of these as they were weighted heavily and in no way did I ever want to teach these types of classes. The science biology/science was very interesting, as was first aid and learning lifting form, and instruction methodology.

Over all i think it depends what you want to teach and what you are interested in. Additional courses are needed to qualify as a PT and from then on you will need to continue to do series of courses to qualify and get better knowledge in different areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

I did the NCEF fitness instructor course.

It is recognised by the University of Limerick and gives you credits towards a degree should you choose to go down that line later on.

It is internationally recognised which is also a plus.

Educationally there is some good base knowledge there.

However some of the course information is extremely dated, as is the fitness instruction, there is mandatory Aerobics, exercising to music, step class routines that you have to do. I hated all of these as they were weighted heavily and in no way did I ever want to teach these types of classes. The science biology/science was very interesting, as was first aid and learning lifting form, and instruction methodology.

Over all i think it depends what you want to teach and what you are interested in. Additional courses are needed to qualify as a PT and from then on you will need to continue to do series of courses to qualify and get better knowledge in different areas.

Three of my group of friends have did the same course and told me the exact same thing regarding the dated information. The fitness industry is constantly evolving and iam sure donning lycra and doing step aerobics will be in vogue in the not to distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CoachDivine

Make sure its internationality recognized.

Advertisement