Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Feminists

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

silverharp wrote: »
    ..I couldnt have got the name more wrong, I meant Humans , it was based off a Swedish TV show , Im curious to watch the Swedish version now to see if it brings up any issues around men and feminism in Sweden?

Yep, that's the one whose Wikipedia article I linked to. I've only seen one episode of the UK version. Seemed somewhat plain.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I spotted this on Facebook, just now. Seriously, when did feminism change from a movement about liberty for women, to a pseudo cult intent on wiping out individual thought? Does everything have to be labeled like this? Where is the logical conclusion of all this, its like they want newspeak to become reality...

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/12/focusing-on-her-pleasure/?utm_content=buffer93209

• Registered Users Posts: 24,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

..I couldnt have got the name more wrong, I meant Humans , it was based off a Swedish TV show , Im curious to watch the Swedish version now to see if it brings up any issues around men and feminism in Sweden?
    I watched the Channel 4 version but I'm not sure what relevance it had to equality issues? The mother of the family seemed to be the primary earner whilst the father did more of the kids stuff and there were definitely some themes explored around the mother not being able to be as close to her young daughter as she wanted (due to having a high pressure career) but I'm not sure I see much relevance to Feminism in the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

This seemed fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Saipanne wrote: »
    This seemed fitting.

Who teaches those things to be fair? I was never thought to be any of those things or not to cry etc. Its just natural. I do have a sensitive/caring side and it has been noticed.

*walks down to the hall door to see if a queue of ladies is forming...*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sleepy wrote: »
    I watched the Channel 4 version but I'm not sure what relevance it had to equality issues? The mother of the family seemed to be the primary earner whilst the father did more of the kids stuff and there were definitely some themes explored around the mother not being able to be as close to her young daughter as she wanted (due to having a high pressure career) but I'm not sure I see much relevance to Feminism in the show?
    In terms of the alleged "sexodus" and feminists losing their sh1t over sex robots and wanting them banned. ie if robots were as good as suggested would men start throwing in the towel and go with the robot over the real thing. In the UK version they had robot brothels and the husband and teenage son having or wanting to have sex with the robot character Anita.
    So given that Sweden is the supposed feminist capital of the world might the show delve into the issue a bit more and either take the feminist position or hint that men might be getting p1ssed off and will turn to alternatives?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

py2006 wrote: »
    Who teaches those things to be fair? I was never thought to be any of those things or not to cry etc.
    That's a far more American based thing IMH Py. As much of the "gender war" guff is. The whole US jock culture sorta thing. Add in ivory tower "leftie" feminism and we are where we are, or more they are.
    So given that Sweden is the supposed feminist capital of the world might the show delve into the issue a bit more and either take the feminist position or hint that men might be getting p1ssed off and will turn to alternatives?
    From what I recall of the original Swedish version it examined all sorts of philosophical and psychological aspects of the idea of robot humans, but nothing I recall with any feminism stuff along for the ride. If anything the UK version had more of that going on and even then it was minimal enough. IMH the Swedish version(Real Humans) was superior and went beyond just one family and examined more around the subject of identity and humanity. Their androids were (mostly) less human and more obviously artificial than the UK androids.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

py2006 wrote: »
    Who teaches those things to be fair? I was never thought to be any of those things or not to cry etc. Its just natural. I do have a sensitive/caring side and it has been noticed.

*walks down to the hall door to see if a queue of ladies is forming...*

It depends on how sensitive you mean. I have heard that there is a phycological barrier, where too sensitive is seen as weak by women. That it doesn't suit their traditional expectations of men and it is something they are not even aware of. Unconcious bias is not easy to prove one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Potatoeman wrote: »
    It depends on how sensitive you mean. I have heard that there is a phycological barrier, where too sensitive is seen as weak by women. That it doesn't suit their traditional expectations of men and it is something they are not even aware of. Unconcious bias is not easy to prove one way or the other.

"thou goest to women?do not forget thy whip" - nietzsche

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Potatoeman wrote: »

At the end of the day you are who you are, but I think some guys make the mistake of thinking that being right on with women's issues or trying to feminise themselves will get them more attention from women which is mostly incorrect.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
Advertisement