Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Felix Jones forced to retire due to neck injury

Options
  • 28-10-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/21426.php#.VjD1AssnyHs

Very sad news of another premature retirement due to injury. All the best to Felix. He really stood out as a player who never shirked the physical side of the game despite sustaining many serious injuries during his time with Munster. In recent seasons he had become a rock of the backline and a leader on the pitch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/21426.php#.VjD1AssnyHs

Very sad news of another premature retirement due to injury. All the best to Felix.

FFS that's an absolute shocker!

Devastating for him.

All the best to him in his retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Really sad to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Really sad to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Just saw it on Facebook and was shocked, didn't even know he was injured. Very sad to see any player forced into retirement, hopefully he walks away with no long term damage though.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,276 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jesus thats out of the blue!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Sad news.

Who will we argue about now?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭tbm

Ah jaysus that's awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Bad news indeed, wishing him the very best in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

shocking news. I wish him all the best for the future.

I honestly didn't know much about him until Joe brought him through the Ireland setup. Anytime I saw him play he really impressed me. Had serious gas to beat his man...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Woah, that's terrible news.

Was it related to his old neck injury?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

.ak wrote: »
    Woah, that's terrible news.

Was it related to his old neck injury?

He injured his neck again against Glasgow last month.

He's the only FB listed on Munster Rugby's squad page. Will Zebo be fully converted to FB now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

He's the only FB listed on Munster Rugby's squad page. Will Zebo be fully converted to FB now?

You'd imagine he'll be there full-time now unless one of the Argies coming over is a 15.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Conway, Zebo and Hurley can play FB. I think Ronan O'Mahony has played there too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sad news, hope he has no long term damage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Awful news, hopefully (rugby aside) the injury doesn't hamper him and he has no lasting pain. Goes to show how fickle the sport can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Shocked to hear this. I wish him every good wish for the future, whatever it may hold.

Conway, Zebo and Hurley can play FB. I think Ronan O'Mahony has played there too.

You'd be looking at Conway or Zebo for the future though, Hurley is 31.

It's a shame for Ireland because after Kearney, Jones is the only "real" FB I can think of. If Kearney was to miss the 6 Nations, for example, Jones would have been the automatic replacement, don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

**** sake that's awful. We have had far too many early retirements recently, with Ferris, McLaughlin and now Jones. Really really sad. I never really suscribed to the idea that rugby needs big changes to keep players safe but it make you wonder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Terrible news, hopefully he can have a good life outside of Rugby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭phog

Terrible news for Jones. He was more than a FB for Munster as he had taken on a leadership role and had captained us a few times last season. He was also well liked by Joe.

Best of Luck to him in whatever his future holds for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭tbm

Yes, Jones would have almost certainly been the second choice 15 for Ireland. Schmidt is a fan.

As has been said, I just hope their nipping something in the bud and he's not in too much pain.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Well this news sucks. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Terrible news. Hopefully the injury isn't too bad and he makes a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Gutted for him. Always enjoyed watching him play in Blue, Red and Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Reading his statement is heartbreaking. I don't think he expected it himself. All the best to the guy, he deserves to be successful off the field, considering he gave everything on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

He did so well to comeback from the horror injury vs Connacht all those years ago...
    Did a documentary recently about wheelchair access in Ireland - with Shane Byrne and Jamie Heaslip (and I think David Wallace)

Am I mistaken to say he was in a band aswell when younger? Maybe he has a career in music?

Wish him all the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Puts the discussion on the Ireland thread in perspective. These guys aren't machines and this kind of thing is happening far too often to relatively young players.

As others have said, I hope this has no long term impact on his life after rugby.

90 caps for Munster says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Munster lost a fullback, Ireland lost a squad man, but my school just lost the only international we've produced in decades. Always been a huge fan of his. Sad tidings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

wp_rathead wrote: »
    He did so well to comeback from the horror injury vs Connacht all those years ago...
    Did a documentary recently about wheelchair access in Ireland - with Shane Byrne and Jamie Heaslip (and I think David Wallace)

Am I mistaken to say he was in a band aswell when younger? Maybe he has a career in music?

Wish him all the best

hermatige green, barry murphys band

Advertisement