Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edenderry looses planning permission

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Very interesting comment especially the last point you make re cost of objections. For a house it's 20 bills to object to the council and this rises to 220 bills for the privelege to object to An Bord Pleanala. Indeed a modest sized businesses that I'm aware of had to fork out 1500 bills plus for the same privilege. Costs of planning applications are very low but appeal to An Bord Pleanala are a burden that I would say is unreasonable. How long is a piece of string is not a reasonable way of determining the scope of an EIA so a reasonable balance that passes the test of court judgements must be found and promptly. Same goes for an appropriate assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

djpbarry wrote: »
    Somewhat off-topic, but I think what you’re referring to is the removal/reduction of subsidies for sugar production by the EU, which lead to sugar production in Ireland becoming unprofitable. No “dismantling” necessary.

Bear in mind that the industry and farmers benefitted from >€100m in compensation.

I can see the merit in Ireland retaining some strategic capacity to produce certain goods (electricity, wheat, livestock, etc) in the event of a prolonged interruption in global trade.

Sugar is not of strategic importance however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Bray Head wrote: »
    Bear in mind that the industry and farmers benefitted from >€100m in compensation.

I can see the merit in Ireland retaining some strategic capacity to produce certain goods (electricity, wheat, livestock, etc) in the event of a prolonged interruption in global trade.

Sugar is not of strategic importance however.

No, but ethanol is.

Advertisement