Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10k Goal Summer 2016

Options
  • 27-10-2015 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Getting some inspiration from the Marathon yesterday....

Aiming to run a 10k in sub 55mins by next July. Have done 44-46mins circa 4-6 years back.

Not in great shape at moment, 16st 7. Weak core. Swimming is only exercise at moment.

The long lead time for the goal is that I really need to strengthen core/gluts/hammers.

Planning on a more consistent regime of swimming and pilates and diet to get me back to a weight that I can run at as right now I couldn't run more than a few hundred metres.

Andy advice on starting from such a low base?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Jack0125 wrote: »
    Getting some inspiration from the Marathon yesterday....

Aiming to run a 10k in sub 55mins by next July. Have done 44-46mins circa 4-6 years back.

Not in great shape at moment, 16st 7. Weak core. Swimming is only exercise at moment.

The long lead time for the goal is that I really need to strengthen core/gluts/hammers.

Planning on a more consistent regime of swimming and pilates and diet to get me back to a weight that I can run at as right now I couldn't run more than a few hundred metres.

Andy advice on starting from such a low base?

Follow a Couch to 5k plan such as the NHS's, and then move on to a 10k Novice program such as:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

The Athletics/Running training log forum is a good place to track running progress and get feedback - large numbers of folks have graduated from C25k plans on there: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1139

Best of luck!

Advertisement