Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you cycle up a one-way street?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Uh no. Any Irish motorist who does not expect cyclists coming the other way on a one-way street is living in a fantasy world of their own creation.

I agree. Cyclists have nothing but contempt for the law and will do what they like, since the law does nothing to enforce civilised behaviour on them. I'd like to think that law enforcement would start doing its job, but I wouldn't hold me breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

I agree. Cyclists have nothing but contempt for the law and will do what they like, since the law does nothing to enforce civilised behaviour on them. I'd like to think that law enforcement would start doing its job, but I wouldn't hold me breath.

You'd think the giant NO ENTRY sign would be hint on certain roads wouldn't you ?

Selfish f***s the lot of them.

dubscottie wrote: »
    What you say is true.. "motorists" Should still look out for cyclists as cyclists don't care about anyone but themselves.

But "I didn't know the rules have changed" is not an excuse. Signs are up and it is your duty as road users to look at them.

And WTF is a "link function"?? Sounds like someone got paid too much to come up with that phrase..

Dubscottie you can read that as "we used to do it one way, now it's illegal - but that does not match with what I want to do, so I'm ignoring the law".

Lets let them go the wrong way down a one way street, right into the path of an 18 wheeler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

ceannair06 wrote: »
    You'd think the giant NO ENTRY sign would be hint on certain roads wouldn't you ?

Selfish f***s the lot of them.

If you cycled would you cycle 2 or 3 kms out of your way to obey the road signs ? When you walk do you always walk to the pedestrian crossing and wait for the green man ?

Are the selfish ****s the ones who design the traffic system with only those driving motorised vehicles in mind ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Civility folks.

It's not an optional extra around here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cdebru wrote: »
    If you cycled would you cycle 2 or 3 kms out of your way to obey the road signs ? When you walk do you always walk to the pedestrian crossing and wait for the green man ?

Are the selfish ****s the ones who design the traffic system with only those driving motorised vehicles in mind ?

You don't get to pick and mix which traffic laws you follow: it's not a la carte. Sign says No Entry ?, then that's exactly what it means. ..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

galwaytt wrote: »
    You don't get to pick and mix which traffic laws you follow: it's not a la carte. Sign says No Entry ?, then that's exactly what it means. ..

The problem is that those who apply laws also have a duty to do so in a manner that does not bring the law into disrepute. The law is also a two-way street.

The officials who try to ban two-way cycling on one-way streets are clearly open to the accusation that they are trying to use the law to impose a particular cultural concept rather than for any reason of public safety or public benefit. (Unless you count pushing everyone into cars as a public benefit).

The other accusation that can be made is that they are penalising cyclists because they want to earn cash from car parking fees. So again we have public officials using the law to ban something for their own self interest rather than for any general public interest or benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

lxflyer wrote: »
    There's also a contra-flow cycle lane on Andrew Street between Suffolk Street and Trinity Street.
    You mean this one?

https://twitter.com/elainesnowden/status/654642128782557184

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

So just to be clear, you NEVER break a speed limit - ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

ScottStorm wrote: »
    That will never happen.
    Honestly whoever is telling you that is either an idiot or thinks you are.

Or both.

• Advertisement

And in case you haven't checked the traffic regs in a while (or read this thread) there is nothing inherently unlawful in two-way cycling on one-way streets. The law was changed in 1998 to provide for two-way cycling arrangements.

So for the last 17 years, the local authority officials who try to ban two-way cycling have been exercising personal choices. The have been personally choosing to use their powers to try and ban two-way cycling - other choices were available.

Trying to make this discussion exclusively about choices made by cyclists is a large over-simplification.

The problem is that those who apply laws also have a duty to do so in a manner that does not bring the law into disrepute. The law is also a two-way street.

The officials who try to ban two-way cycling on one-way streets are clearly open to the accusation that they are trying to use the law to impose a particular cultural concept rather than for any reason of public safety or public benefit. (Unless you count pushing everyone into cars as a public benefit).

The other accusation that can be made is that they are penalising cyclists because they want to earn cash from car parking fees. So again we have public officials using the law to ban something for their own self interest rather than for any general public interest or benefit.

What 'cultural concept'?

What 'cultural concept'?

An example would be the idea that any restriction that applies to cars must also be applied to cyclists. It is a cultural view or cultural concept it has nothing to do with logic or the law.

"Cultural concept" = "Particular mindset or view of the world"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

The problem is poor planning, and then expecting people to act completely illogically in line with the poor planning, like expecting someone on Clare Street to cycle around Lincoln place, down Westland row, on to pearse street all the way around Trinity college onto Grafton street, down Nassau Street to return their Dublin bike to the stand, instead of cycling straight up 200 metres against the flow of traffic.

Or you could walk that 200 metres??
    Just thinking outside the box here :rolleyes:

An example would be the idea that any restriction that applies to cars must also be applied to cyclists. It is a cultural view or cultural concept it has nothing to do with logic or the law.

Would traffic lights be considered a cultural concept? Or footpaths?

I've often heard that they're bringing in a law that says cyclists can go the wrong way up a one way street. Has that been brought in yet, or is it something we can expect to come in soon?

ARE YOU INSANE ????

Of COURSE you can't!!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

ARE YOU INSANE ????

Of COURSE you can't!!!!

Read the charter before posting again.

monument wrote: »
    Read the charter before posting again.

Apologies - but come on, it's like saying "can I steal from an OAP ?", "Can I fondle my dog on Grand Canal Square ?", "Can I have a kip in the beds in Arnott's ?". Ridiculous questions deserve contempt!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Apologies - but come on, it's like saying "can I steal from an OAP ?", "Can I fondle my dog on Grand Canal Square ?", "Can I have a kip in the beds in Arnott's ?". Ridiculous questions deserve contempt!

You might mention this to all the people in the Netherlands, France and many other countries that provide for contra-flow cycling on one-way streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

You might mention this to all the people in the Netherlands, France and many other countries that provide for contra-flow cycling on one-way streets.

The difference is it is legal in those countries, they can cycle the wrong way up a one way street without a contra flow lane, here you can't legally do that!

GM228

• Advertisement

Because something is legal in another country doesn't make it legal in yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..the reverse is also true: it is also a (construed) cultural concept that cycling is for everyone, that everyone is capable of it (responsibly), that it is suitable for everywhere, and that it must be accommodated at the expense of any other road user or indeed the principles of road safety. Cycling against oncoming traffic (short of a specific legal, marked route to do so) - quite apart from the ineptitude of the ability to comprehend plain English, is spectacularly stupid as well as feeding the view that they are lawless.

And I'm cyclist too btw.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

GM228 wrote: »
    The difference is it is legal in those countries, they can cycle the wrong way up a one way street without a contra flow lane, here you can't legally do that!

GM228

My reply was based on Ceannair06's reply to the post that suggested such a law was about to be brought in!

So to make it easier, in many countries it is legal to cycle contra-flow in one way streets, it is currently allowed for here as was mentioned earlier in the thread, many more should be brought in.

Ceannair06 is anti-cyclist and doesn't seem to realise that it's actually easier to see a cyclist coming towards you rather than from behind and thus safer for both driver and cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Because something is legal in another country doesn't make it ridiculous to ask if it is legal in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

But it is legal to cycle in the direction opposite to motor traffic on North Leinster st, and a few others in Phibsboro, Dublin.

So its a germane question

But it is legal to cycle in the direction opposite to motor traffic on North Leinster st, and a few others in Phibsboro, Dublin.

So its a germane question

That is correct, DCC introduced a few of them and wanted to expand the plans, and following a 20/20 split vote on the issue it was then blocked by Críona Ní Dhálaig, that may have something to do with the fact that they are not actually legal!

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

that may have something to do with the fact that they are not actually legal!

Link to the legislation banning them please?

Link to the legislation banning them please?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a28

S.I. No. 182/1997 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997-Section 28

"28. Where traffic sign number RRM 019 [No Entry Line] is provided across the entrance to a road, a driver shall not proceed beyond such sign so as to enter that road."

There are no exceptions to Section 28.

GM228

S.I. No. 182/1997 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997-Section 28

"28. Where traffic sign number RRM 019 [No Entry Line] is provided across the entrance to a road, a driver shall not proceed beyond such sign so as to enter that road."

GM228

The exceptions can easily be made by removing part of the no-entry marking -- see attached images for examples with different levels of segregation.

In most cases on the streets which the recent council vote was related to, the cycle path would have to be fully segregated. So, you're basically talking about a separate carriageway.

• Advertisement

GM228

See attached images.

Advertisement