Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posture correction in the Cork area

Options
  • 23-10-2015 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I've been struggling with around 7 or 8 years now with bad posture with has been gradually getting worse.I'm only 28 which is worrying but i feel i still have time to sort myself out.I have been trying but it just seems to be a case of one step forward then two steps back.

I went to a few doctors about it a few years back and over shoulder pain and back pain i was getting and they all said they were certain the problem was neck related and that physio should sort it.So I started physio and have been going to the same guy with almost a year and a half now and while he has been good i just don't think he's doing enough and I'm at a dead end with him.He's more focused on manipulation and needling etc rather than working on my neck and posture issues.

I've tried all sorts of excersises he gave me and keeping my shoulders back etc but its not working.I'd just like to know if anyone here has had posture issues and could recommend someone in the cork area for posture correction?

I've been looking into it and seen places advertised like the Physio Company in the city doing Posture Rehabilitation Classes and Blackpool Physiotherapy offering similar services.Has anyone had an experience with these places?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Have you looked into Alexander technique at all? Google will provide info & links to teachers in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 The Goosey Gander

Aimeee wrote: »
    Have you looked into Alexander technique at all? Google will provide info & links to teachers in Cork.

Never even heard of it to be honest.But I'm looking into it now.Thanks for the input!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Never even heard of it to be honest.But I'm looking into it now.Thanks for the input!
    Hope it works for you. Always wanted to do it but no teacher near me. Always struck me as something we should all learn. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Hi,

I've been struggling with around 7 or 8 years now with bad posture with has been gradually getting worse.I'm only 28 which is worrying but i feel i still have time to sort myself out.I have been trying but it just seems to be a case of one step forward then two steps back.

I went to a few doctors about it a few years back and over shoulder pain and back pain i was getting and they all said they were certain the problem was neck related and that physio should sort it.So I started physio and have been going to the same guy with almost a year and a half now and while he has been good i just don't think he's doing enough and I'm at a dead end with him.He's more focused on manipulation and needling etc rather than working on my neck and posture issues.

I've tried all sorts of excersises he gave me and keeping my shoulders back etc but its not working.I'd just like to know if anyone here has had posture issues and could recommend someone in the cork area for posture correction?

I've been looking into it and seen places advertised like the Physio Company in the city doing Posture Rehabilitation Classes and Blackpool Physiotherapy offering similar services.Has anyone had an experience with these places?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Sounds like he is treating more the symptoms than the cause , but i am not to judge.

I had a similar issue here in dublin and i was fed up with appointments where i'd get a very low load excersises and some soft tissue massage almost just to run down the clock. Sometimes it just feel they were being too careful like i was an 80 year old women and not a 30 year old fairly active male.

I then went to a crowd who were physios but took a sort of personnal training approach to rehab, very much a sports clinic. They gave me tailor made workouts , showed me in the clinic and then had them to do at home. It was more full on that excersises i;d been previously given, there was very little massage or needling etc. It involved a lot of work on the mid,lower traps, lower back, glutes and opening up the hips. Ive definitely gotten results from a bit more full on approach and having someone to push and motivate me.
    I also found that even when the correct muscles were tight and fatigued from the works outs it actually pulled my body into a better position. I am saying this because a lot of the treatment for posture such as the alexandre method involves being mentally aware of your body position during day to day things , but it helps if your body is pulling you into a more correct position and not giving you much choice in the matter anyway.

I don't know who in Cork would be similar if there is anyone , but if you find someone that might fit the bill its very important that they are an actual qualified physio.

Ive been to the physio company in cork for another issue before and i found them good. There was a girl in there that had her own company dedicated to posture issues etc. I am not sure what they do in the class but if the sort of class that you can repeat at home it could be very good idea. I found that you really have stay on top of it, something you show upto say once a week is not enough.

But the thing is i was not in a lot of pain to begin with , just a lot of discomfort and stressed from it especailly sitting at a desk all day.
    If you think you are in too much pain to even consider this, don't. If you are still in pain and your current physio is spending most of his/her trying to manage that, you could be better off going back to a doctor etc getting a scan to figure whats up.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Take up pilates. Seriously. I had posture problems due to work where I'm seated for a lot of the day. had sharp pains in my hamstring all day and while physio helped it just wasn't enough and was costing a fortune. Took up reformer pilates with the missus about a year ago and within 6 wks (1 class per wk) the pain had vanished. Cannot recommend this enough. Well worth it

• Advertisement
Advertisement