Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist remark at work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

I'm a HR Manager and I have intervened several times informally where racist remarks were made usually in the guise of 'joking'. It is a very multi-cultural workplace so I'd give a verbal rap on the knuckles and usually that would be the end of it.

I'd let it go this time but if it happens again, let HR know.

I'm a HR Manager and I have intervened several times informally where racist remarks were made usually in the guise of 'joking'. It is a very multi-cultural workplace so I'd give a verbal rap on the knuckles and usually that would be the end of it.

I'd let it go this time but if it happens again, let HR know.
    Thanks for your reply.

I have no problem letting it go to be honest as long as they have mentioned it to him about remarks like that. As far as I gathered from my manager the Co worker in question thinks I complained about his offensive language and shouting, rather than the racial comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

Well he shouldn't be using offensive language and shouting at a colleague either. I think (maybe I'm wrong) in a more male dominated workplace things like this have a blind eye turned to them.

From a HR perspective, I would intervene if a staff member came to me and told me what you told me and I would just have an informal chat. I also recommend to line managers that they have brief meetings with their teams and just say to everyone about how they talk to each other. Small things but it often does the trick.

Advertisement