Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Curran stepping down as RTE DG

Options
  • 20-10-2015 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Who do you think will replace him ? Willie O Reilly would be my guess, If not Kevin Backhurst or Dan Healy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mary Curtis, head of UTV Ireland, she might be looking for a job by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone with an arts degree from the left centre/left and possibly a beard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brilliant - RTE report on RTE news about RTE suffers SNAFU. Sums the place up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Sports Bra wrote: »
    Who do you think will replace him ? Willie O Reilly would be my guess, If not Kevin Backhurst or Dan Healy.

A few reasons that Kevin Backhurst should not get the job: -

1. Yes he's an Enlishman, but he doesn't actually reside in Ireland. Choosing to travel for the job between his English home and his Irish job.
    2. He never had a real connection to Ireland and the fact that he still lives a different country. There are plenty brilliantly qualified people residing in Ireland from many different countries, they are preferable.
    3. While he took over at RTE following 2 journalistic scandals, he left his job in the BBC as part of a team of executive unwilling to broadcast Jimmy Saville's fall from "grace", we have too many of those types in Ireland, COWARDS.

• Advertisement

The upcoming Director General's vacancy is being advertised in the SBP today

http://www.merc.ie/current-opportunities/director-general-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Be very surprised if Conor Hayes doesn't get it this time around.

STB. wrote: »
    Be very surprised if Conor Hayes doesn't get it this time around.

There's a name from the past we haven't heard from since he left RTÉ back in 2012 and haven't seen his name linked to the job to date.

I see he continues as Chairman of the RTESA Trust (RTÉ's Superannuation Scheme) with assets close to €1bn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I didn't even know he way gone!

Did he retire ? Wouldn't have thought he was old enough.

STB. wrote: »
    Did he retire ? Wouldn't have thought he was old enough.
    Early retirement with six-figure lump sum in Sept 2012 - http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/chief-costcutter-in-rte-opts-for-early-retirement-26881224.html

• Advertisement

Interviewing of candidates for the position of director general of RTÉ starts next week, applicants can apply up to Jan 17th

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/michael-heney-the-next-director-general-of-rte-may-not-be-a-journalist-1.2485939

First round interviews underway according to a piece in the Sunday Times today

Speculating on names in the mix, Kevin Bakhurst, head of TV Glen Killane, group commercial director Willie O'Reilly, chief digital officer Muirne Laffan, md of corporate development Brian Dalton, Rory Coveney, brother of Minister Simon Coveney and strategic adviser to the current DG.

Outside of RTÉ former TV3 boss David McRedmond and Steve Carson, husband of Miriam O'Callaghan.

Another name doing the rounds is Lucy Gaffney, chair of DOB's Communicorp and director of Digicel and former board member of INM. A DOB insider running RTÉ?

A reduced second round of interviews will be before an RTÉ Board sub-committee including Moya Doherty.

The Cush wrote: »
    First round interviews underway according to a piece in the Sunday Times today

Speculating on names in the mix, Kevin Bakhurst, head of TV Glen Killane, group commercial director Willie O'Reilly, chief digital officer Muirne Laffan, md of corporate development Brian Dalton.

Outside of RTÉ Rory Coveney, brother of Minister Simon Coveney and special advisor adviser to the current DG. Former TV3 boss David McRedmond and Simon Carson, husband of Miriam O'Callaghan.

Another name doing the rounds is Lucy Gaffney, chair of DOB's Communicorp and director of Digicel and former board member of INM. A DOB insider running RTÉ?

A reduced second round of interviews will be before an RTÉ Board sub-committee including Moya Doherty.

Another one to add to my list of a definite no

Lucy Gaffney

How is Rory Coveney outside RTÉ as adviser to the DG?

Steve Carson is the name not Simon (He was in RTÉ at one stage)

Lucy Gaffney, Kevin Bankhurst and David McRedmond (RTÉ connection? Daddy was their from the start) don't have enough experience in terms of Irish Public Service Broadcasting.

Elmo wrote: »
    How is Rory Coveney outside RTÉ as adviser to the DG?

Steve Carson is the name not Simon (He was in RTÉ at one stage)

Post updated.

First round interviews completed over a week ago. Successful candidates believed to have been informed in the past week.

Deputy Director-General Kevin Bakhurst and head of TV Glen Killane reported as having made it to the next round of interviews. A number of external candidates will also be interviewed by a 5 person interview sub-committee chaired by Moya Doherty of the RTÉ Board.

TV3's former boss David McRedmond is reported as out of the running.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/Business/article1667684.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2016_02_13

It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

I think it's Kevin Bakhurst's to lose as he is widely tipped . I know some people have different issues with him getting job time will tell .

brick man wrote: »
    I think it's Kevin Bakhurst's to lose as he is widely tipped . I know some people have different issues with him getting job time will tell .

Major issue surrounding his time in the BBC as head of the news channel, also is he actually living in Ireland? I know he travelled back to England for family at weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

Is Dan Healy not a contender at all ?

First round interviews completed over a week ago. Successful candidates believed to have been informed in the past week.

Deputy Director-General Kevin Bakhurst and head of TV Glen Killane reported as having made it to the next round of interviews. A number of external candidates will also be interviewed by a 5 person interview sub-committee chaired by Moya Doherty of the RTÉ Board.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/Business/article1667684.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2016_02_13

Article in the latest issue of the Phoenix magazine poking a bit of fun at the Irish Independent and an article they published about the conclusion of first round of interviews. In the Indo article the speculation that Lucy Gaffney, chair of DOB's Communicorp and director of Digicel and former board member of INM was interested in the position of RTÉ DG was rubbished.

The Phoenix article pointed out that the Indo omitted from its article INM group editor in chief Stephen Rae, "O'Brien's top man in his media empire", applied for the job months ago and is through to the second round of interviews.

Others through to the next round of interviews Mary Curtis ex-UTV Ireland/RTÉ and Steve Carson.

Rory Coveney hasn't made the second round.

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/usual-suspects-dark-horses-and-wild-cards-vie-for-rte-throne-34430087.html

• Advertisement

Others through to the next round of interviews Mary Curtis ex-UTV Ireland/RTÉ

Where is Mary Curtis coming from AFAIK she's taking a few years sabbatical.

Elmo wrote: »
    Where is Mary Curtis coming from AFAIK she's taking a few years sabbatical.

The Phoenix refers to her as the gender quota candidate in the second round of interviews and doesn't believe she'll be rewarded with the top job.

Others through to the next round of interviews Mary Curtis ex-UTV Ireland/RTÉ and Steve Carson.[/url]

According to Miriam O'Callaghan her husband Steve Carson has not applied for the job

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/my-hubby-doesnt-want-rte-top-job-says-miriam-ocallaghan-34510867.html

well I am happy if Dee Forbes gets the job, I don't know her but the list of possibilities just got shredded as they should have been long ago, I could only see 1 or maybe 2 good possibilities from the lists of suggestions.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/dee-forbes-expected-to-be-next-director-general-of-rt%C3%A9-1.2595208

https://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2016/0401/778907-rte-appoints-dee-forbes-as-director-general-rte/
    Following a rigorous recruitment process overseen by its Board, RTÉ has today appointed Dee Forbes as Director-General. This appointment is subject to the Government’s consent under Section 89 of the Broadcasting Act 2009.

Ms Forbes is currently President & Managing Director of Discovery Networks Northern Europe, and will leave the role to become Director General of Ireland’s National Public Service Media. Having joined Discovery in 2010 as Head of the UK/Ireland operation, Ms Forbes progressively grew her responsibilities to eventually lead the Northern Europe region, which also includes Benelux and the Nordic countries, and has a wide mix of channels, both free-to-air and subscription. Ms Forbes will assume her new role later this year after a transition period.

Moya Doherty, Chair of the Board, RTÉ, said: “The appointment of Dee Forbes stands to mark a significant moment in the development of RTÉ. Not only is this the first Director-General in almost fifty years to be appointed externally, but she will also be the first female to hold the role. RTÉ is at a pivotal moment, one where the future shape and financing of public service broadcasting is being re-imagined. I am delighted to have someone with such a breadth of industry experience, such a creative and visionary understanding of the global broadcasting market, and a proven management record.”

Ms Forbes said: “Although it was a tough professional decision to leave Discovery, the personal decision to return to Ireland and lead its biggest broadcaster, RTÉ, is an opportunity of a lifetime."

Before joining Discovery, Dee Forbes led Turner Broadcasting’s business in the UK and Ireland, which consisted of seven entertainment channels, including Cartoon Network, Boomerang and TCM. She spent several years working at Turner in a variety of commercial roles including General Manager for the Nordic/Central and Eastern Europe and EMA regions and Head of Advertising Sales for Europe.

Good luck to her. Could be wise choice when it come to awarding of Irish terrestrial rights to the 2020/24 Olympic Games with Discovery Channel holding the pan-European rights - http://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2015/0715/714850-ryle-nugent_rte/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is nice to see RTE sticking with D 4.

It is nice to see RTE sticking with D 4.
    Haha, I thought the exact same when I heard it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Irish Times - [URL="httphttp://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/dee-forbes-is-switching-sides-in-a-brutal-tv-sports-rights-game-1.2600283://"]Dee Forbes is switching sides in a brutal TV sports rights game[/URL]
    RTÉ must negotiate with its new DG’s old employer if it wants to show Olympics

• Advertisement
Advertisement