Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just doing main compound lifts

Options
  • 19-10-2015 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Ok so this guy goes to the gym the same time as me and I keep an eye onwhat hes doing mainly because he wears a hoody and tracksuit bottoms with converse runners.

So I noticed he spends a half a hour to 45mins on the squat rack just doing a high bar squat. After wards he spends the same amount of time just doing deadlift. Nothing else just squats and deadlifts and heads off home.

My question is this a good or a bad thing to do? Why doesnt everyone do this? Your working most of your muscles so why do we do isolation exercises? What would he be stronger at than some one who mixes isolation and compound lifts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Is there a possibility that he is doing a lower/upper split, but doing the upper on your off days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

deadybai wrote: »
    I keep an eye onwhat hes doing mainly because he wears a hoody and tracksuit bottoms with converse runners.

........?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

You could be talking abut me if I hadn't been training only at home this weather.

On a heavy squat day I like to take my time warming up, so that's around 20-30 minutes. Then 5 sets of 5 reps, 5 mins rest between sets is hitting around the hour mark. If I do deadlifts and press/bench-press and chins/rows to do a typical day's full-body session thats the guts of 2 hours.

(As suggested by someone else while i was writing this) the guy could be doing other work different days - or same day at a different time.
    My question is this a good or a bad thing to do?

Yes - IMO.

For me compounds are practical - they works lots of muscles at the one time, enjoyable , and they get results (gains in strength - increased muscle mass - feelings of well being).
    Why doesnt everyone do this?

I suppose it depends on who taught them, what they've learned, what they've read, and what their goals are.

Some people want big gunz and a six pack - others are obsessed with being strong and able to lift heavy weights*

*Disclaimer. These are not all possible goals. Desires for 6 pack, guns and incredible strength are not mutually exclusive.

I'm not so dogmatic to believe what i'm doing is the only way people should exercise. Unless somebody is posing an imminent risk to their life, or doing something really antisocial, I wouldn't presume to tell them they're wrong.
    Your working most of your muscles so why do we do isolation exercises?

There is no rule to say one can't train both,Though isolation exercises might help compound lifts (and so be considered assistance exercises) like tricep work might help increase bench press. But they're there to assist, so if compound lifts suffer because of assistance work, drop the assistance work.
    What would he be stronger at than some one who mixes isolation and compound lifts?

Who are the strongest guys in the gym? Powerlifters and weightlifters?

How are we going to measure who is stronger? Compound lifts.

How do the strongest train? Most (i imagine) train compound lifts with assistance exercises as required. Assistance exercises might be isolation, but could also be compound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭garrixfan

Nope,it sounds like someone on godmad, terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I keep an eye onwhat hes doing mainly because he wears a hoody and tracksuit bottoms with converse runners.
    Eh???
    So I noticed he spends a half a hour to 45mins on the squat rack just doing a high bar squat. After wards he spends the same amount of time just doing deadlift. Nothing else just squats and deadlifts and heads off home.

My question is this a good or a bad thing to do?
    Maybe he does upperbody at a different time. Maybe there's another reason. Can't really say without more info.
    Your working most of your muscles so why do we do isolation exercises?
    What would he be stronger at than some one who mixes isolation and compound lifts?
    Squats and deadlifts don't work most of your muscles. Most of your upper body is not worked.

Bench, pull ups, rows, presses etc are all compound exercises too. They's also be main lifts imo.

Just doing those main lifts is fine. And is a better plan than 90% of people in the gym. There are reasons to do isolation work, but that guy will probably be stronger than somebody who does isolation but doesn't know why he does it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Depends what program he is on.

Some advise you to do accessory work but it's not required. If he is on a decent program and diet he'll get stronger but probably won't look strong.

Everyone's goals are different so maybe he just wants to lift heavy things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

........?

Like he just looks like he walked in of the the street and started to pick up weights. He looks out of place in my gym

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Is there a possibility that he is doing a lower/upper split, but doing the upper on your off days?

I go to the gym six days a week and its closed on Sunday. I see him there everyday as he goes the same time as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I go to the gym six days a week and its closed on Sunday. I see him there everyday as he goes the same time as me.

Sounds excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

All I've ever done is squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press and pullups.

Arsing around with isolation takes too long IMO. I think he has the right idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Isolation has it's place if you're somewhat of a novice lifter, like me. My upper back was my weak point when starting out so I fit in some extra real delt or row variation at the end of an upper day. Recently, my bench has started lagging, so tricep and DB presses have been added. But if in doubt, I always target the upper back for isolation stuff for no other reason than being a professional desk jockey and needing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

He might have weights at home but no squat rack and not enough for deadlifting or no decent bar.

A pool near me had a "weights session and quick dip in the pool" deal. I was asking if I could do it in reverse, do some quick squats and deadlifts and have a proper swim.

Advertisement