Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lessons from the RWC

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

Just while we're (loosely) on the topic of reform of international competition in Europe, here's a bit of a mad suggestion.

Europe's top eight teams play in a single tournament over two years. The teams are divided into two groups of four. Each team plays everyone in their group on a home and away basis, while also playing the teams in the other group just once. So for example, if the groups were to look like this . . .

Group A
    England
    France
    Ireland
    Wales

Group B
    Georgia
    Italy
    Romania
    Scotland

Ireland would play England, France and Wales home and away over two years. (These games taking place during the international window reserved for the 6 Nations.) Ireland would also play Georgia, Italy, Romania and Scotland once, with two of these games at home and two away.

At the end of group play the top three teams in Group A along with the Group B winner advance to the semi-finals. So the draw for this stage of the competition would look like . . .

Group A winner V Group B winner
    Group A runner-up V Group A 3rd place team

The final would take place in a pre-determined location. With the winners being declared champions of Europe.

There's an opportunity for teams to move up from Group B to Group A. If the winner of Group B finishes with a higher points total then the last place team in Group A, the Group B winner is promoted to Group A for the next tournament.

It'd never happen. I know, I know, why on earth would the Scots or Italians vote for that format of competition? But that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it. The idea of one big final to decide the champion of Europe every two years is mad exciting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does anyone enjoy the three test tours of the Sanzar countries? I find them tedious. I'd much rather play Japan, Fiji and Tonga than the Boks three times in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I really can't help but feel that it'd be great for rugby to have a 2nd tier knockout stages for the world cup. I know a lot of people disagree with that idea but I just think it'd be so good for developing the game in the countries and taking maximum advantage of the exposure the competition brings to the sport in smaller countries.

Have it between the 3rd/4th place group finishers and match them up the same way. We had 20 million viewers in Japan for the Samoa game, that'd be a brilliant way to give them something further to watch and even some silverware to play for. I don't see why it wouldn't work, even if you just had 4 teams progressing to it.

https://twitter.com/brianmoore666/status/656844352250073088

He's only gone and bloody stole my idea! I just want to make sure that if we see this happen that I get 100% of the credit and the trophy is named after me, is that too much to ask?

I would have loved it so much if we'd seen that this time around. Fingers crossed for 2019 I guess, maybe completely unreasonable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

QF 1: Japan v Fiji
    QF 2: Georgia v Romania
    QF 3: Italy v Tonga
    QF 4: England v Samoa

SF 1: QF 1 v QF 2
    SF 2: QF 3 v QF 4

Not a bad line up in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    QF 1: Japan v Fiji
    QF 2: Georgia v Romania
    QF 3: Italy v Tonga
    QF 4: England v Samoa

SF 1: QF 1 v QF 2
    SF 2: QF 3 v QF 4

Not a bad line up in fairness

The quality of the games would be great. It would be more games for the smaller venues. It can be played mid week as well. Imagine looking forward to these games on the Wednesday/Thursday nights of the Quarters/Semis weeks. It'd be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 otoolepw

Northern hemisphere is 2nd tier rugby unfortunately

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The quality of the games would be great. It would be more games for the smaller venues. It can be played mid week as well. Imagine looking forward to these games on the Wednesday/Thursday nights of the Quarters/Semis weeks. It'd be great.

Some teams would have a short turnaround as they'd need the Plate QF to be played before the Cup QF or the Plate Final would be a few days after the Cup Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

https://twitter.com/brianmoore666/status/656844352250073088

He's only gone and bloody stole my idea! I just want to make sure that if we see this happen that I get 100% of the credit and the trophy is named after me, is that too much to ask?

I would have loved it so much if we'd seen that this time around. Fingers crossed for 2019 I guess, maybe completely unreasonable.

The RWC IBF Plate? Rolls off the tongue....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

It's a brilliant idea. The tier 2 nations would really buy into it and give everything to win it. Also, it will provide another chance of humiliation for England tier one teams.

• Advertisement
Advertisement