Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Quarter Final: New Zealand Vs France; Sat Oct 17th 8pm

Options
  • 16-10-2015 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Teams

New Zealand
    CRaGAzfUAAASYq6.png

France
    CRaGA02UwAAbUE8.png

Preview
    Throughout the latter stages of the week, after the Papé/O'Brien incident was dealt with, there's been talk of "La Révolution" in Les Bleus ranks. In truth, it may take the sort of effort of storming the Bastille for France to win this match. After so much talk of a France team that was the fittest and best prepared before the Ireland game, a rather limp display instead unfolded. Considering Ireland lost their talismatic captain O'Connell, their playmaker Sexton and their best performer on the day O'Mahony before the 55th minute of last weeks contest, France were abject and the intensity levels weren't near the levels they needed to be for such a pivitol match. Luckily for France though, the sight of the famous All-Black jersey in a World Cup tends to bring them to another level. 2007 at this stadium and at this very stadium springs to mind.

However with only three survivors from that day on the Kiwi's side (McCaw, Mealamu and Carter) this shouldn't have much bearing on the game. Although not as accurate against minnows in their group as Steve Hansen would have demanded, the final 20 minutes against Argentina shows when they need to, the All-Blacks can turn it up another gear which no side left in the competition can live with.

CRI4B5JWEAAARsL.jpg

How they line out
    France make three changes from last week with the more rounded game of Morgan Parra preferred to Tillous Borde. Elsewhere, Dumoulin replaces Bastereaud at outside-centre with perhaps Saint-Andre (whatever power he still possesses over the dressing room) learning from Les Bleus test match series a couple of summers ago that Conrad Smith and Nonu negated his ball carrying ability. Another change is in the Backrow with Le Roux preferred to Damien Chouly.

For New Zealand, they've made five changes after last weeks comprehensive win with Ma'a Nonu, Milner-Skudder, McCaw and Savea coming in. Such is the depth the AB's have, whatever team they put out would match any of the other top-tier nations

Predictions
    Will supposed mutiny inspire France to an upset against New Zealand? If you were a France fan then you wouldn't have been boosted by the fact Freddie Michalak gave his team a 2 percent chance. Maybe this is a ploy for Les Bleus (it probably is) writing themselves off and hoping everyone else will do it? Or maybe this is to put pressure on the AB's to remind them they're overwhelming favourites? Despite this, even an inspired and brilliant French performance will struggle to beat New Zealand who are red hot favourites with the bookmakers. I for one wouldn't touch this game betting wise with those odds but if there's one thing that's an ever presence in World Rugby, it's never write of France in a World Cup against the AB's.

Fun Fact: Richie McCaw will become the joint record holder for most caps as captain at the RWC this weekend with 11 appearances.

New Zealand 26 - 15 France

Photo Credits: Rugby World Cup twitter account.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I can't see All Blacks losing this one. I predict a thumping win for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

France by 12

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Teams

CRI4B5JWEAAARsL.jpg

At this point I would like to point out that the copyright of posting up silly photo's and Youtube videos in a match preview thread belongs to me :D

Great write up, BTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I've been a nervous wreck all week thinking about this game. I keep fluctuating between an AB win of 20+ to a French ambush and heartbreak for kiwis every where.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Tradition, history and romance suggests that France will win this.

I am a traditionalist, a historian and a romantic. France will win this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Can't see NZ losing this one. France just don't look good enough to threaten them. NZ by 15 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

NZ win by 15+. Hopefully I'm wrong and France do a number on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Aside from the French ability to raise themselves for games versus the Kiwi's, I have not been impressed by the AB's to the point where I'd believe that they are RWC winners elect. I'm not going out to predict a France win here but it can't see it being the dominant win that the form guide would ordinarily predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Going to this one for the craic. Will be cheering on the All Blacks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The All Blacks have only been Very Good thus far, not Very Very Good, so surely they will lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

They may be my least favourite 6 Nations side but C'MON FRANCE

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Time for the French to pull a freak game out of the bag, they will need to because NZ have been simmering just below the boil for weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I think France are going to get smashed,hoping for a French win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Heading into the match!

Come on Morgan and Les Blues!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Parra on the pitch could be a massive difference, if 10 mins to go and if its a one score game NZ will start to get very jittery which could be great viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

NZ by at least 12. I think the days of "we don't know what France will turn up" are past now. They've been consistently poor for the last few years and have shown nothing to suggest they can beat NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I can't see past a Kiwi win here. If there has been a révolution in the French camp, heaven only knows what they will do, and it might take NZ a while to figure them out. But they won't let France beat them IMO.

I am still pissed off with the way France hammered into us last week, but I think I will always shout for the NH team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

NZ by 20
    Smashed em bro

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GunnerBlue

molloyjh wrote: »
    NZ by at least 12. I think the days of "we don't know what France will turn up" are past now. They've been consistently poor for the last few years and have shown nothing to suggest they can beat NZ.

Agree with this. Will still be cheering for France all the same.

Though, as a Scot, I think it's fair to say that whoever wins it won't have any impact on us :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

the real question is will france have a 'response' to the haka this time around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,360 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

NZ by 20
    Smashed em bro

New Zealand won't underestimate france, thereby massively overestimating them and cruise to an unassailable lead before half time. Ireland vs NZ in the world Cup Final with Ireland to win by a converted try in the 83rd minute. We won't even need to be given a second go at the conversion :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭MJI

I think the Southern Hemisphere could complete a clean sweep. in these 1/4 finals

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You can't see past a New Zealand win here. Better players. An actual coach. Form.

Positive move with Parra on the field from the start, but not enough. Much as I'd love a French win, sadly not...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What's the NZ scrum like?

I thought I heard it mentioned that it was just ok, that could be an area that the French cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What's the NZ scrum like?

I thought I heard it mentioned that it was just ok, that could be an area that the French cause problems.

I thought our scrum as "ok" and yet we creamed the French scrum. So no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm torn, would usually want a French win but feic 'em for their evidence at SOB's hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Williams just claimed that NZ were definitely poisoned in 95, I thought they had climbed down from that position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

laugh wrote: »
    Williams just claimed that NZ were definitely poisoned in 95, I thought they had climbed down from that position?

I don't think so. I heard plenty of discussion, from non NZ sources, that seem to be accepting this as fact.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Is it wrong of me to hope for the Kapa o Pango haka tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

will NZ choke ???

Advertisement