Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Die Hard 6 "both a prequel and a sequel at the same time"

Options
  • 16-10-2015 12:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Not liking what I'm hearing about Die Hard 6. Word is they are going to get Len Wiseman to direct another Die Hard.

I wish they would bring back John McTiernan becuase hes the only director who knows how to make a proper Die Hard film.

IMO Die Hard 4 and 5 and not even Die Hard films.

A sixth film in the Die Hard franchise is in the works, according to a Thursday report from Deadline. This one will be both a prequel and a sequel.
    Tentatively titled Die Hard: Year One, it will see Bruce Willis, 60, reprise the role he has played five times before

However much of the story will be set in 1979, before the events at the Nakatomi Plaza in the 1988 action classic that made the actor one of the biggest movie stars on the planet.
    Presumably the film will be in the form of a flashback, with the older veteran telling his story to another character.
    This means Fox is on the hunt for a young actor to play the New York cop before he became the hero.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

FFS it went past it's sell by date after 3. Just leave it alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Why not just make a good 70's style cop movie, ala Dirty Harry, French Connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Mackman wrote: »
    Why not just make a good 70's style cop movie, ala Dirty Harry, French Connection?

This is surprisingly easy and very possible to do ie. make a film today and set it in a genre of the past. I thought Narc in 2002 might have ignited a resurgence of those kinda gritty cop drama thrillers but it didn't really.

House of the Devil was a decent attempt at an early 80s horror. Didn't ignite anything but showed that it is more than possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

My money is on it both being a piece of sh*t and stinking of piss at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I thought 4 was terrible, couldn't even bring myself to watch 5.

6 being a Sequel/Prequel thing, sounds just awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

Die Hard surely now challenging Transformers for title of film franchise with most rubbish and unnecessary sequels (and now prequels!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I thought 4 was ok, well watchable. I have not seen 5 , based on how terrible everyone says it was. Even see Bruce Willis doing an interview on the BBC looking very embarrassed while talking about the film and being told how great it is :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This franchise needs to die. It's become nothing more than a licence to produce action comedies that could not possibly be more generic.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Die Hard 4 for me was actually a pretty solid and entertaining action movie but wasn't even close to being a Die Hard film, it could've been an action vehicle for a number of different actors. 16 Blocks actually felt more like a Die Hard film to me.

McClane's catchphrase being censored was an absolute middle-finger to the franchise. The "unedited" version was funny; "Let's add more digital blood here and there and have random swear words appear off-screen and sound out-of-place to the rest of the dialogue."

Die Hard 5 was just................wow............I put it off for so long and then watched it to see what the fuss was about. It's mind-boggingly terrible, I mean really really terrible and turned McClane into an utterly unlikeable dickhead. It was such an ugly sterile looking film, too, with Joel Schumacher-esque colours to it.

How can they even do a Die Hard prequel? The whole premise of Die Hard 1 was that he was an ordinary, boring, run-of-the-mill cop in an extraordinary situation.

Should be called Eat Shít and Die Hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Duggy747 wrote: »

Should be called Eat Shít and Die Hard!

I'm sorry I can only thank this post once.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

The only way they can save the Die Hard franchise is to bring back John McTiernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Simon2015 wrote: »
    The only way they can save the Die Hard franchise is to bring back John McTiernan.

The only way they can save the franchise is to stop making them.

A Die Hard sequel? Sounds like only die hard fans will go see this ...

*cough*

A Die Hard sequel? Sounds like only die hard fans will go see this ...

*cough*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Die Hard 6, for what? What did McClane do before he joined the NYPD and took down Hans Gruber at the Nakatomi Plaza?

Was he the fuppin' architect of said building?

Die Hard 6, for what? What did McClane do before he joined the NYPD and took down Hans Gruber at the Nakatomi Plaza?

Shut up, they have a backstory to ruin here!! :mad:

The whole point of McClane in Die Hard is that he was just an ordinary, run-of-the-mill guy with nothing spectacular of note up until then, was it not? This whole plot (and all the movies since With a Vengeance) just make me think of...

south-park-indy2.jpg?w=970

He was Moonlighting as a private investigator

• Registered Users Posts: 12,331 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

forget that! just bring back John McClane who we haven't seen since the 3rd film

John McTiernan only got out of prison last year. Can't see him getting a big gig like Die Hard again tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭OU812

No, no, no no NO!

This can't happen, not as a movie anyway.

A gritty set in 70s NYC cop show with McClane as a rookie cop would be worth watching. Particularly if done by Netflix or Amazon or even HBO, I want violence, drama, swearing, but he doesn't get to say YKYMF unit the last episode.

Joseph Gorden Levitt being the obvious choice to play him, but that won't happen. Maybe Michael Angarano? He kind of has that Cocky broody look going on.

Michael%20Angarano-ALO-010669.jpg

For my money, 16 Blocks and White House Down (cut the first 20 minutes & substitute it with John McClane is on vacation in Washington & visiting the Whitehouse when it's taken over), should have been Die Hard movies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

DH 6 should be just Sgt. Al Powell putting a round in McClane's head to put him out of his misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I actually liked the 4th but the 5th was a travesty. They gave it to an absolute hack of a director.

The premise to this one sounds poor, as others said, John did nothing special before Die Hard 1

Unearthly wrote: »
    I actually liked the 4th but the 5th was a travesty. They gave it to an absolute hack of a director.

The premise to this one sounds poor, as others said, John did nothing special before Die Hard 1

Just looked into his filmography... Behind Enemy Lines? Jaysus, that was beyond God awful, don't know how it didn't get panned so much more than it was. I also didn't know he was from Dundalk!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Confirmed by the man himself in Die Hard 1 when he talks to Argyle in the limo at the start about how he's a New York Cop with a 6 month backlog of New York scumbags he's trying to put away.

Die Hard 6: Paperwork just got real!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,441 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jai Courtney as the son Jack was bad in 5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jai Courtney as the son Jack was bad in 5

Yes I've only seen him in that and the latest Terminator. Stop killing my childhood Jai

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

It'll be more like Tommy Tiernan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ironically the original Die Hard is kind of a sequel to the Frank Sinatra 60's flick, The Detective. They wanted Sinatra to reprise the role, he said no, then out popped the Die Hard we know as a result.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Just looked into his filmography... Behind Enemy Lines? Jaysus, that was beyond God awful, don't know how it didn't get panned so much more than it was. I also didn't know he was from Dundalk!

John Moore is one of those awful "directors for hire" that exhibit absolutely no passion in filmmaking. He shows up, says action and cut then collects his pay. From Ireland btw.

Nice work if you can get it.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    Ironically the original Die Hard is kind of a sequel to the Frank Sinatra 60's flick, The Detective. They wanted Sinatra to reprise the role, he said no, then out popped the Die Hard we know as a result.

Sort of. He was offered the role per a contractual arrangement. Sinatra was way too old to play an action role and films had changed greatly by the late 80s after Spielberg and Lucas blockbusters as well as Mad Max, Lethal Weapon etc

Advertisement