Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas TV Thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Nigella's Christmas special is on Monday at 8 in BBC2. It's her current series so it's a new one.

James Martin has a Christmas special on every day on BBC1 at 3.40 if anyone is at home at that time or wants to record it. There have been 3 on already. Tomorrow's episode has F1 hottie Mark Webber as the special guest. He does a bit of Christmas cooking, sends a reporter to Austria to cook something traditional, cooks at home with a celebrity guest and has a really interesting bit about Christmas food from years ago.

World's Most Expensive Christmas is on Channel 4 on Tuesday at 9. Might be worth a look.

The Cats Does Countdown Christmas special was on last night so that will be available on demand now I presume.

The 8 Out of 10 Cats (regular series, not Countdown) Christmas special is on Christmas Eve and the end of year special is on the 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Loughc wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten this year's RTé Christmas Guide yet?

Got it this evening but haven't looked at it yet!

And I hate Mrs Brown's Boys too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Anyone seen double Radio Times yet? Think it came out on Tuesday, but not seen it in my local supermarkets - maybe RTE Guide has a monopoly in Dunnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

iguana wrote: »
    Great I'll set the recorder. He's just been begging me to put it on for him and I've tried to explain that it won't be on for a few days and he just can't get his head around it. He listened then told me to find it on the MBOX (my android box) as he's so used to me being able to play whatever, whenever. He's never had to wait for something like this before.:D

Awh bless haha that's adorable ! what would we do without those phones that just magic up a programme lol my little guy is the same with peppa. Waiting now for the episode with santy pig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Really enjoyed Professor Branestawn last Christmas and I thought I heard there was to be second installment this Christmas. Has anyone spotted it in the listings or was it my imagination ?

• Advertisement

Has anyone gotten this year's RTé Christmas Guide yet?

I have finally broken free from the Christmas RTE Guide! I picked it up earlier while we were shopping and ended up putting it back when I saw the price of it. It didn't seem as thick as previous years. My mother buys it so I can flick through hers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I always get the Christmas TV Now. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Picked up a paper (Mirror?) on Saturday with free TV guide. A bit heavy on the soaps, but it covers the basics for me. Found about half a dozen Christmas specials to record over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Yikes a lot of Soaps on over Christmas. :-(

As for the RTE Christmas Guide due to tradition I have to buy it. It wouldn't be Christmas without a copy in the sitting room and each marked with programmes to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Christmas TV has been poor for many years now. I guess with streaming services and the likes you can't really complain but there's something deadly about chilling with the family and watching something on BBC/RTE knowing that tons of others around the country are watching it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Posy wrote:
    I always get the Christmas TV Now.

Me, too!

amen wrote: »
    Yikes a lot of Soaps on over Christmas. :-(

As for the RTE Christmas Guide due to tradition I have to buy it. It wouldn't be Christmas without a copy in the sitting room and each marked with programmes to watch.

The tradition in our house is that we buy it well before Christmas and I may give it the odd flick through. Then round about the day before the listings kick in it disappears. It might turn up around about 28/29th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

amen wrote:

It is a tradition. A Christmas one!

Also, love to grab a highlighter and circle all the favourites that I wish to watch over the holidays.
    It's getting close, let the circling begin!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I love doing the movie quiz!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I love doing the movie quiz!

Me too and the crosswords.

greendom wrote: »
    Really enjoyed Professor Branestawn last Christmas and I thought I heard there was to be second installment this Christmas. Has anyone spotted it in the listings or was it my imagination ?

From checking the listings (before they go missing!) I see its on at 5.20 on Christmas Eve. Great fun!

We watched A Very Murray Christmas tonight. I know people here said it was rubbish but I thought we'd give it a go. It was truly awful. :D That version of Fairytale of New York was worse than Ronan Keating's version. Poor George Clooney should not have agreed to appear in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I see RTE are continuing their tradition of playing Airplane! on Christmas night/Stephen's morning.

Seriously, what the hell!?

I am certain it was on in 2012, 2013, and maybe 2014...and sure enough, it's on again.

It must be some long-term trolling!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Anything good due on the telly coming up for the rest of the week? Or does anyone recommendations on something I can binge on?

8 Out Of 10 Cats end of the year special was on tonight so that will be on demand.

I just checked my scheduled recordings for the next few days and it's slim pickings!

• Advertisement

8 Out Of 10 Cats end of the year special was on tonight so that will be on demand.

I just checked my scheduled recordings for the next few days and it's slim pickings!

I did the same with my recordings. Very slim pickings.

I do like 8 out of 10 cats tho so thank you :D

I did the same with my recordings. Very slim pickings.

I do like 8 out of 10 cats tho so thank you :D

Did you watch the Christmas special? It was on Christmas Eve. Carrot in a box was brilliant.

Did you watch the Christmas special? It was on Christmas Eve. Carrot in a box was brilliant.

I seen it. Yea it was brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Did Anybody think this years christmas tv the worst ever I know its been declining over the past number of years

But this Christmas has been atrocius and it must have been hard for anyone who only have irish / english stations to watch

I heard the ads before xmas with " Christmas starts with the RTE guide"

I dont think so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I totally agree. Every time I switched on to watch something I couldn't find anything decent. Definitely the worst year ever.

I think the problem is with all the on demand and streaming options available traditional tv is suffering to the point it really seemed like this year they weren't even trying.

Did anyone watch Dr Branestawm? It was very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

That was hilarious, but was watching The Big Quiz & had only watched the first hour, as it was descending into anarchy, more than usual!
    bob50 wrote: »
    Did Anybody think this years christmas tv the worst ever I know its been declining over the past number of years

But this Christmas has been atrocius and it must have been hard for anyone who only have irish / english stations to watch

I heard the ads before xmas with " Christmas starts with the RTE guide"

I dont think so

It's full of repeats & as someone has said they've stopped caring, as with OnDemand, as they have the annual Indy+Back to the Future screening

My sister in law's mum had noticed the vast difference btwn the 'RTE guide' & one you get free in the paper, 'overpriced+full of knitting patterns+ads' she put it

I see that RTE have The Quiet Man for New Year's Day, so i see it's not just for Christmas as well as St Patrick's Day:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Senior TV executive scratches his head "what will we show this xmas?"

I know!! Indiana Jones, Superman, James Bond, Back to the Future, Willy Wonka, ET

Junior executive "but thats the same as last year"

Senior executive "ah they'll never notice"

• Advertisement

In their defence 12 months is a long time :P

Advertisement