Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivation in winter

Options
  • 15-10-2015 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, just wondering what hips/motivation people use to hit the gym in winter. Since it's started getting colder in the mornings it's a struggle to get out of my warm bed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have your bag packed and ready to go. Less time to make excuses for pussying out when you get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I drink half a pint of water just before bed, that way when my alarm goes off at half 5 I really need to pee so I have to get up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Go to bed earlier. I used to have massive trouble getting out of bed and it's mostly because I desperately wanted to go back to sleep. The room seems far less cold if you're actually done sleeping.

Also do you wear bed clothes? Much easier to get out of bed if you're not in the nip.

Also heating? Stop being so Irish and just use the heating enough to be warm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I find the heating like Zillah said is a big thing. If my room is warm it's easier to get up and I don't think about the cold until I go outside and by then it's too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Have your bag packed and ready to go. Less time to make excuses for pussying out when you get up.

This.
    And have it and your food (if you bring food) all prepared at near the hall door.
    Have your clothes/shoes laid out too.

Then just suck it up , I'll admit today was a "why the f am I doing this " kinda morning at 5.45 anyway.
    One you pee and brush your teeth you are wide awake then and getting back into bed has nothing to do with motivation only laziness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Alarm clock at opposite side of the room is the obvious one. Get up to turn it off, immediately go to bathroom and not back to bed. Easy.

There are ways to engineer things to make it easier to get up and go but if you don't want to train enough, then more often than not, you won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Retrain your brain to stop thinking of 'winter training' as this big black dog you have to fight with every day.
    So what that it's cold out? So what that you need gloves? So what that you're the only one awake?

Use the negatives and flip them around to feed the mindset that come spring when everyone else is just coming around to think about getting fit again, that you'll have 4-5 months of good solid work done and you'll be an animal with a huge head start ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

eire1 wrote: »
    Hey folks, just wondering what hips/motivation people use to hit the gym in winter. Since it's started getting colder in the mornings it's a struggle to get out of my warm bed.

Maybe consider working out at home. (if that's feasible for you)

You can set up a low budget home gym pretty easy if you're flexible about how you workout. :)

arayess wrote: »

Are you in hell?

I've never understood you morning workout freaks. I go at lunch or after work. Morning time is for coffee and hatred.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Morning time is for coffee and hatred.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

You'd fcuking HATE me :D

Also do you wear bed clothes?

Sorry that just reminded me of this!

duvet%2Bghosts.jpg

Having the stuff ready is the absolute key for me. Summer or Winter. If it's all (and I mean every single part of it) ready to go, you are far more likely to get up and get out the door.

Focus on the positives of it, you have the entire evening to yourself if you have your workout done before work. You're in much better form than most people in your job (this can be a bad thing if you encounter God-Zillah type creatures :D).

The first week while will be the most difficult, but eventually you'll get into a pattern, where you're asleep earlier in the evening and can wake up earlier in the morning as standard.

The first wee while will be the most difficult, but eventually you'll get into a pattern, where you're asleep earlier in the evening and can wake up earlier in the morning as standard.

I completely misread the context of that a couple of times.

I completely misread the context of that a couple of times.

Don't know what you're talking about >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Morning time is for coffee and hatred.

And these are exactly the 2 things that get me through morning sessions

And these are exactly the 2 things that get me through morning sessions

I did once see a guy actually grumbling "...fuck you..." at the barbell he was curling.

I did once see a guy actually grumbling "...fuck you..." at the barbell he was curling.

That sounds familiar, was he also shouting "hey Gravity, I win!" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

eire1 wrote: »

Set yourself some Goals & Targets!

That's what got me back going this week. Spent four-days from end last week, over week-end, smothered & barely eating. Only weak from not getting enough into me by Tuesday but otherwise cold was gone.
    One session back in the gym and by God was my appetite back. Was only a light session but the energy returned.

Setting Goals & Targets for yourself would keep your Motivation tip-top!

^^^ IT was the inner drive and focus for my Cycling plans for 2016 that got back back into my routine :)

Hope that helps,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Smelling salts beside the bed, big sniff of that will wake you up :)

JJayoo wrote: »
    Smelling salts beside the bed, big sniff of that will wake you up :)

I had a sniff of an old worn out bottle of nose torque one morning - yeah you're not rolling over for a snooze after you get that in your nostrils. I can't imagine it's great for the old frontal lobe though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I had a sniff of an old worn out bottle of nose torque one morning - yeah you're not rolling over for a snooze after you get that in your nostrils. I can't imagine it's great for the old frontal lobe though

lolol eat the fcuk out of that cereal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

take the extra hour or so in bed and go after work?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

take the extra hour or so in bed and go after work?

Here's my motivational technique, mostly mentioned before-

Have the bag packed. Towel, wash gear, hair gel, shoes, socks, underwear, the whole lot. Nothing to be packed after you get up.
    If you've any shakes or food to bring, prepared the night before. Everything near the door. Training clothes beside the bedroom door.

Into bed at least 7 hours before you have to get up.

Tell yourself how nice it's going to be to know you can come home and have a lovely evening in with the heating on and your favourite tv show, or you can go out or whatever.
    Think of how awake you'll be getting into work, how alert you'll be before you've even had a coffee.

And remember how horrible, sweaty, packed and downright nasty the gym is between 7 and 9 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

I find my neighbours dog barking at 6:30am is a great help to get me out of bed..........................and want to kill the little ..................:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I have a rival on a competitive circuit who I'd like to absolutely thrash in the next big meet. I practically jump out of bed to train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

i tell myself I am only getting up 60mins earlier than my non training days...its not a big thing

Advertisement