Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent value Kettlebells? Good sizes?

Options
  • 14-10-2015 5:29pm

Howdy folks.

A while back on Adverts I picked up a set of three kettlebells. They were originally bought in Argos under the "Davina" range (you know the brightly coloured plastic ones). The weights are something like 3kg, 5kg and 8kg. I've used the 8kg on and off but not overly challenged by it (unless I do loads of reps).

The other two (think it's 3 and 5 kg, could be wrong) are more for decoration. They've never been used, really.

So I'm looking to pick up a bit of a heavier bell. I've Googled around and searched amazon and such, and Argos seem to be the best value with their Men's Health bells:

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=men%27s+health+kettlebell&authToken=

They have a 'buy one, get one 1/2 price' offer running, too, which helps.

They have 8, 10, 12, 15 and 20kg bells. Obviously 8 would be a waste as I have an 8 already, and I'm not sure if 10kg would be much of a step up?

So I was thinking of picking up a 12kg and 20kg bell (works out around €88 for both).

Would this seem like the logical thing to do? I wouldn't be very strong in the upper body, so my thinking was that I could use the 12kg for exercises that the 20kg would be too heavy for, and vice versa?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

20kg is probably a good starting place for a heavy-ish KB. 15kg would prob be a better bridge between 8kg and 20kg than the 12kg. But on the other hand, if you'll never use the 8kg again. Then the 12kg+20kg is probably more versatile range.
    Depends on the movements you want to do. For example, For Turkish Get-Ups you would probably start with the 12kg

My GF has an 8kg and found it very light once she got used to it.
    I managed to get a set for free in work last week to widen the range. 12-16-20-24kg.

Mellor wrote: »
    20kg is probably a good starting place for a heavy-ish KB. 15kg would prob be a better bridge between 8kg and 20kg than the 12kg. But on the other hand, if you'll never use the 8kg again. Then the 12kg+20kg is probably more versatile range.
    Depends on the movements you want to do. For example, For Turkish Get-Ups you would probably start with the 12kg

My GF has an 8kg and found it very light once she got used to it.
    I managed to get a set for free in work last week to widen the range. 12-16-20-24kg.

Cheers Mellor. :)

Following on from my Argos mooching, I noticed that D8 had better bells and a better price (surprisingly enough - I expected them to be a fair bit pricier for some reason, but anyway..)

Does anyone have any comment to make on what kind of bell would be better to use from them?

These ones:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReovPsVS3J7-fq5U5Oa_U9gtIt3EhEwW0Ca3UsekqlzA4gRgbACw

or these ones:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0fEK81Sm9gOlL9m4sM4okdprTT01rMpKWq_CeA3sDIeGdMy-Hlw

Prices seem to be the same for both. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Top ones are better. All sizes being the same allows you to use consistent form for rack position, presses etc. And I also prefer the grip on those ones. Feels better for snatches and high rep stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah, top ones. I'm no kettlebell expert but I've used both and the handles on the competition ones are just much better for different grips for doing different exercises with them.

Cheers for that, gents. I'll be in Dublin over the weekend or possibly Monday and 'swing' in (har har... no?.. okay.. :o ).

Is it advisable to ring in advance? It says on the site they have them in stock but not sure if D8 keep their stock at the shop or elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

No harm ringing ahead if you're travelling. Shouldn't be a problem but no harm all the same.

Makes sense, I suppose.

Cheers again gents :)

Advertisement