Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upper body Workout

Options
  • 14-10-2015 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

What would you say would be the best 2/3 day split per week of Upper body exercises to bulk up your chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders and back.

Would appreciate it if you could specific :p thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you just planning to ignore legs entirely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Mellor wrote: »
    Are you just planning to ignore legs entirely?

I'm going to be training my legs outside the gym in my training for football. In the gym I want to focus primarily on upper body

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm going to be training my legs outside the gym in my training for football. In the gym I want to focus primarily on upper body

That leg work at training won't necessarily make your legs stronger. Definitely worth getting in leg work in the gym to add strength to supplement your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

You won't build your legs training for football and if you only work your upper body in the gym you'll end up top-heavy.

For a 3 day split, Starting Strength or stronglifts 5x5 would be a good program to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Most likely that isn't the same kind of training for your legs. It's comparable with exercuses bulking up upper body.

• Advertisement

Geez don't know why you guys care so much about legs :p

So away from my legs anyone got any advice on the original question

Geez don't know why you guys care so much about legs :p

So away from my legs anyone got any advice on the original question

chicken-legs-2.jpg

That's why.

Also, I suggested stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength, but to be honest, if you're going to ignore us and think that football will build your legs, you might aswell not bother working out at all. At least you'll look better that way imo.

chicken-legs-2.jpg

That's why.

Also, I suggested stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength, but to be honest, if you're going to ignore us and think that football will build your legs, you might aswell not bother working out at all. At least you'll look better that way imo.

Alright then guys I will work out my legs as well. :P Is Stronglifts 5x5 suitable for a someone trying to put on muscle and weight rather than lose weight?

Alright then guys I will work out my legs as well. :P Is Stronglifts 5x5 suitable for a someone trying to put on muscle and weight rather than lose weight?

It's a weights program, although it's designed for beginners who want to get bigger and stronger, but you can absolutely lose weight on it. A calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight.

Personally, I wouldn't advise you going on a deficit unless you are quite fat (anything above 20%). Otherwise maintenance calories if you're between 15-20% or even a slight surplus.

When I started I was the definition of skinny fat (5'7 60kg 15%bf) and 9months later I'd put on 10kg and was actually a little leaner. That's the beauty of newb gains.

But if you are 20%+ then a surplus probably isn't a good idea, but this program will help you regardless of your physique goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭garrixfan

OP don't get hung up on legs, a lot of people advocate them and then can't wear jeans right. Big legs don't look that good either. Smaller legs will make your physique stand out. Don't neglect them but once every couple of weeks lash out a few sets of leg curls and that be that

garrixfan wrote: »
    OP don't get hung up on legs, a lot of people advocate them and then can't wear jeans right. Big legs don't look that good either. Smaller legs will make your physique stand out. Don't neglect them but once every couple of weeks lash out a few sets of leg curls and that be that

Smaller legs will make the fact you've smaller legs stand out.

Physique isn't from the waist up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

This has got to be a troll!

Blacktie. wrote: »
    This has got to be a troll!

They don't.

Zac Efron is a good example of someone with a killer physique, I doubt he's on GOMAD

zac-efron-inline-3.jpg

The 'do u even squat' crowd is so tiresome, legs only look bad if you have genetically skinny ass legs with a big upper body.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

*sigh*

Welcome back to boards.ie

They don't.

Zac Efron is a good example of someone with a killer physique, I doubt he's on GOMAD

zac-efron-inline-3.jpg

The 'do u even squat' crowd is so tiresome, legs only look bad if you have genetically skinny ass legs with a big upper body.

Sorry but that's not a 'killer physique', and even though he has a bit of size on his upper body, you can see he has some quads aswell. Blasting out a few sets of leg curls every so often will not get you any sort of size in your legs and you're on a one way ticket to top-heavy city.

The 'you don't need legs to look good' crowd is even more tiresome. Your leg muscles are there for a reason. If you want to get bigger, then you should get all of your major muscles bigger, not just the biceps and chest.

Also, saying 'genetically skinny ass legs' is just a little excuse to make you feel better about your tiny legs. Anyone can build up their legs just like they build their upper body. Stop making excuses and start squatting.

Sorry but that's not a 'killer physique', and even though he has a bit of size on his upper body, you can see he has some quads aswell. Blasting out a few sets of leg curls every so often will not get you any sort of size in your legs and you're on a one way ticket to top-heavy city.

The 'you don't need legs to look good' crowd is even more tiresome. Your leg muscles are there for a reason. If you want to get bigger, then you should get all of your major muscles bigger, not just the biceps and chest.

Also, saying 'genetically skinny ass legs' is just a little excuse to make you feel better about your tiny legs. Anyone can build up their legs just like they build their upper body. Stop making excuses and start squatting.

I bet he looks far better than you.

Also nah your fine, I don't want to look like some rugby duck ass playing imbecile

I bet he looks far better than you.

Also nah your fine, I don't want to look like some rugby duck ass playing imbecile

I suppose that's why he's a semi-famous actor and I'm not.

What does a 'rugby duck ass playing imbecile' look like? If by that so-called insult you mean a person who's physique is in proportion and they don't have chicken legs, then yes, I want to look like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Sorry but that's as silly as "I don't want muscle I just want to look toned"

Gym work will build different type of strength, plus one on incorporating leg work in your routine

I did New rules of lifting (for women), overall strength programme, 5*5 might suit you better

• Advertisement

Boardies seem to really take legs seriously. People taking their thoughts on legs to other threads now lol.

And it all started from me.... :p:p:p

Boardies seem to really take legs seriously. People taking their thoughts on legs to other threads now lol.

Explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I think a stronger back is more important or to be even more (less?) specific a strong posterior chain.

No point having massive legs if you fold like a scissors with weight on your back. Granted you'll be working while squatting but a strong core/back will get you far.

Ian Rush says if you don't do legs, when you grow up you'll only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley.

Exakkkkly.

Caliden wrote: »
    I think a stronger back is more important or to be even more (less?) specific a strong posterior chain.

No point having massive legs if you fold like a scissors with weight on your back. Granted you'll be working while squatting but a strong core/back will get you far.

How about build a strong everything doing squats, bench and deadlifts?

How about build a strong everything doing squats, bench and deadlifts?

Because that might be hard.

Advertisement