Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Knot 1000

Options
  • 14-10-2015 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

The Celtic Knot will run again next July. It will be a 1000km event with about 7000m of climbing. Entries will be limited to 26. Entry fee will be about 120 euro.

https://www.facebook.com/CelticKnot1000

More details to follow..

12108296_1670368039847869_3714971413248160274_n.jpg?oh=4a4a4fa1948c1a7a9679921dfce2df90&oe=56C6A141

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

12087940_1670366543181352_2178386061625947656_o.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I am looking for something somewhat absurd (to my mind) to do for my 30th, and maybe (though highly unlikely) this could be it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Weepsie wrote: »
    I am looking for something somewhat absurd (to my mind) to do for my 30th, and maybe (though highly unlikely) this could be it!

Based on the pictures on facebook you will need to be a good bit older to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Yeah maybe, but those guys will still be able to kick your butt up a hill even after 900km!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Yeah maybe, but those guys will still be able to kick your butt up a hill even after 900km!

Thats a given

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Whats the time limit for this one?

75 hours. It will start on Fri July 29th 6:00 am, and you have until Monday 9.00 am to complete ( whilst getting through the controls within the specified time limits ).

Its not as hard as it sounds. The first leg is 360km, so you could be back at the start by 12:00/ 1:00 am, then sleep for a few hours, then out on the next leg (340Km ), back by 12:00/ 1:00 am on Sat night. Then, if you get up at 6:00 am again for the final 300km you have 27 hours to complete that.

Or you could sleep minimally and get it all done by Sunday afternoon.

Price includes a bed for up to 4 nights for as long as you need one and all meals at the center from where it is based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Is there a reason it is limited to 26?

There is - thats all the beds the Center has, and I dont think we could cook meals for more than 26 people for 3 full days.

I don't really think I can prepare until June. Done 300+, but never even 200 and then 200 the next day... Maybe when I grow up a bit ;)

• Advertisement

As they say, the best way to prepare for one is to do one.

But yeah you'll need to start shaving first. Then ask your mum for permission. :pac:

Edit - its more doable than you might think. With a decent group theres a good chance you'll have company for the whole thing. Theres only a handful of small climbs, its not that bad, more undulating than anything. 75 hours is plenty.

I'm not afraid of the distance (physically) or climbs, I am quite confident I can handle this, but more about my head vs so many long, long hours in the saddle... This is what I find really challenging.

Shaving... I guess I could use some indeed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Alek wrote: »
    I'm not afraid of the distance (physically) or climbs, I am quite confident I can handle this, but more about my head vs so many long, long hours in the saddle... This is what I find really challenging.

Shaving... I guess I could use some indeed ;)

He's talking about your face Alek.

That aspect of it is a challenge. After taking a wrong turn at the end of the second leg, I ended up by myself for the last 300km on this years event. Had a few difficult moments alright.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Nice site.
    Inspiring well written write ups.....I'd love to do something like this..... but hey....
    Have to do a 300 first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

First loop is a 300*...

*Well, 360 but you can have the extra 60 for free...

Only about 11 places left...

Down to 1 now.

C'mon Weepsie, get the finger out ( and your chequebook ).

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Any way to enter this online? I was sort of planning to do this, didnt; realise entries would go so quickly.

• Advertisement

Yes, you can register for your place here:

http://www.celticknot1000.com/contact.html

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Yes, you can register for your place here:

http://www.celticknot1000.com/contact.html

Thanks. I sent my details as directed, looks like I still need to fill out an actual entry form and pay, so hopefully I'll be able to get a place sorted.

Koobcam wrote: »
    Thanks. I sent my details as directed, looks like I still need to fill out an actual entry form and pay, so hopefully I'll be able to get a place sorted.

Yep, entry and payment details will be sent on in due course. I'll send you an email confirming your place shortly.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Down to 1 now.

C'mon Weepsie, get the finger out ( and your chequebook ).

Is there a reserve list? My own fault. Shoudlve just signed up for it, needed the kick up the arse rather than the fear

Is there a reserve list? My own fault. Shoudlve just signed up for it, needed the kick up the arse rather than the fear

Yep, I'll stick you down. Just use the contact form linked above and I'll send you an email with your waiting list number.

We had one guy pull out so I stuck you in. Email sent.

Cheers, I will get all sent back this week I hope. Then I'll need to panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Anyone ever do this or have any thoughts on it? looks like an epic cycle, how would you train for something like this, i expect nutrition and pace and time management would be of the utmost importance. any thoughts ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Merged threads :)

• Advertisement

ciaeim wrote: »
    Anyone ever do this or have any thoughts on it? looks like an epic cycle, how would you train for something like this, i expect nutrition and pace and time management would be of the utmost importance. any thoughts ?

Yes you're right, they are all important.
    Real food in the form of balanced meals should form the majority of your strategy for the ride, with simple carbs in small amounts - the 80/20 rule. Keep high fibre foods to a minimum beforehand.
    Pace is very important.
    Time management - plan your stops and stick to the plan. This won't always be possible. Again, the 80/20 rule.

http://www.celticknot1000.com/faqs.html

Advertisement