Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River (BBC One)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Hadar I thought but the fella out of game of thrones would have been just as good.

Easier to write his lines too "Hodor" and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Heckler wrote:
    I'd watch Skarsgard reading the phone book.

He has that screen presence where he keeps your attention without opening his mouth. Then when he does speak I'm absolutely glued.

I just watched the first 3 episodes, saving number 4 until tonight.

Usually I would stay away from English detective series, but after Luther I've softened.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

He has that screen presence where he keeps your attention without opening his mouth. Then when he does speak I'm absolutely glued.

I just watched the first 3 episodes, saving number 4 until tonight.

Usually I would stay away from English detective series, but after Luther I've softened.

There's just so bloody many of them. Police series in general need to take a break. There's one on ITV at the moment with yer woman that plays Stevie in River. There's the one with Anne Marie Duff in it. There's Cuffs, I think it's called. And that's just off the top of my head. ITV are also working on a new one with Anna Friel, written by the writer of The Bridge series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

There's just so bloody many of them. Police series in general need to take a break. There's one on ITV at the moment with yer woman that plays Stevie in River. There's the one with Anne Marie Duff in it. There's Cuffs, I think it's called. And that's just off the top of my head. ITV are also working on a new one with Anna Friel, written by the writer of The Bridge series.

Unforgotten is excellent (Trevor Eve, Tom Courtenay, Cherie Lunghi among others along with Nicola Walker).
    The Duff thing was unwatchably dull rubbish (1.5 hours I'm not getting back before I walked on it). No idea about Cuffs.
    We used to have 30 minute episodes of The Bill which is where the writing and jogging / acting talent of Duff et al. belong . Now we have these hugely flagged dramas than can't hold the attention of a gnat.
    Thankfully, the likes of Happy Valley, River and Unforgotten still get made. I find following the actors works best as a quality filter- Sarah Lancashire, Tom Courtenay and Nicola Walker do not fetch up in any old rubbish.

Unforgotten is excellent (Trevor Eve, Tom Courtenay, Cherie Lunghi among others along with Nicola Walker).
    The Duff thing was unwatchably dull rubbish (1.5 hours I'm not getting back before I walked on it). No idea about Cuffs.
    We used to have 30 minute episodes of The Bill which is where the writing and jogging / acting talent of Duff et al. belong . Now we have these hugely flagged dramas than can't hold the attention of a gnat.
    Thankfully, the likes of Happy Valley, River and Unforgotten still get made. I find following the actors works best as a quality filter- Sarah Lancashire, Tom Courtenay and Nicola Walker do not fetch up in any old rubbish.

Would agree with most of that apart from I'd consider Ann Marie Duff an excellent actor, that's what made From Darkness disappointing.

• Advertisement

Would agree with most of that apart from I'd consider Ann Marie Duff an excellent actor, that's what made From Darkness disappointing.

Agreed. She's usually very good. I watched the first episode of From Darkness and could barely make it to the end. Didn't catch my interest at all.

Nichola Walker was also in Scott & Bailey, although the series she was in was one of the weaker ones, in my opinion. It's a series that varies greatly in quality from one to the next.

I always looked at Scott & Bailey as more of a comedic soap opera than a full blown police procedural. Watching Suranne Jones as the degenerate detective is a laugh. Hope there's more of that to come - I know if I saw her as my GP, I'd look to score some Valium and then get a grown-up to do proper doctoring (rock on Doctor Foster).

I always looked at Scott & Bailey as more of a comedic soap opera than a full blown police procedural. Watching Suranne Jones as the degenerate detective is a laugh. Hope there's more of that to come - I know if I saw her as my GP, I'd look to score some Valium and then get a grown-up to do proper doctoring (rock on Doctor Foster).

Oh, God! Doctor Foster was abysmal.

I've enjoyed Scott & Bailey over the years but it's not exactly hard hitting. That one series (ft. Walker) was their attempt at doing a series long case and it didn't really work, for me anyway. I enjoy it much more when it's week by week cases and Rachel is drinking wine with her cornflakes and punching lampposts.

I enjoy it much more when it's week by week cases and Rachel is drinking wine with her cornflakes and punching lampposts.

...before she goes home with someone else's husband. Or gets off with a schoolboy. My kind of classy lady.

Just caught up on this week's episode. It's all coming together a bit now.

I reckon Bishop Brennan was involved in it all too. Maybe even killed Stevie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Yeah definitely looks like Bishop Len Brennan is the bad guy we've been looking for.

Great series. Acting tour-de-force from Stellan Skarsgard and Eddie Marsan.

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Yeah definitely looks like Bishop Len Brennan is the bad guy we've been looking for.

Great series. Acting tour-de-force from Stellan Skarsgard and Eddie Marsan.

I couldn't help laughing at the bit where Marsan was running with the football guys. He looked so tiny behind them.

Well... there we have it.

They were all in on it!

Have to say River is easily the best drama the BBC have done since Happy Valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

The best drama series I've seen in a long time.

Superb stuff from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Just watched. ...was bawling 😢..felt so sorry for him.

Loved it, I had something in my eye once or twice too. Would love a 2nd series but don't really know where they could go to with it.

Loved it, I had something in my eye once or twice too. Would love a 2nd series but don't really know where they could to with it.

Yeah, the Stevie stuff was kind of the heart of it. Without her he's just a crazy guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Just finished this tonight and I'm going back to episode 1 opening scene -watching it again and again -checking out Tina Charles on Spotify - can't stop playing the song.

Advertisement