Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back belt for table tennis

Options
  • 12-10-2015 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

My other half seems to have a reoccurring injury in his lower back. Due to his resistance to having it checked by a GP and x-rayed or MRIed, we don't know the exact nature, he assumes it's muscles or tendons. While I'd refrain from commenting on the second sentence as boards.ie ban bad language, I'm trying to find some advice on what he could do to support his back and posture while playing. He's heard about back belts, any advice on what back belts would be best to support his back while not impairing the mobility he needs during a game?
    Any advice appreciated in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

Assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups - tell him to cop on and get checked out a belt will do nothing to sort out the underlying problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A belt of any description might offer support but a lack of support might not be the issue.

Sounds like I'd be preaching to the converted to say any belt is only going to mask an underlying issue that won't get better unless it's identified and addressed...

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

COH wrote: »
    Assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups - tell him to cop on and get checked out a belt will do nothing to sort out the underlying problem.

He was told - several times. The problem with grown-ups is, the same scenario with a child would result in: I'm your Mum, I know better. With your other half it ends up in a heated argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

haminka wrote: »
    He was told - several times. The problem with grown-ups is, the same scenario with a child would result in: I'm your Mum, I know better. With your other half it ends up in a heated argument.

Kinda sounds like a child tbh. A medical professional is the only way to go; a belt won't do anything long-term.

Kinda sounds like a child tbh. A medical professional is the only way to go; a belt won't do anything long-term.

I know but tbh, I don't want this thread to become a rant, so just asking for advice on back belts. I am pretty much aware it's just a supportive aid and not a real solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I know but tbh, I don't want this thread to become a rant, so just asking for advice on back belts. I am pretty much aware it's just a supportive aid and not a real solution.

And it's possible support might not even improve the situation.

And it's possible support might not even improve the situation.

Yep, that's certainly a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Yep, that's certainly a possibility.

It's also possible that the use of a supportive belt will exacerbate the problem i.e. if he feels short-term relief and pushes himself more because he's not experiencing pain, he could do himself even more damage.

I don't mean to labour the point; it'd just be a pity if the situation deteriorated further is all.

Aside from that, I have no really helpful advice about the belts so I'll bow out now. Best of luck to your partner OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A belt will either help the problem, or exacerbate the problem. Depending.

That's the extent of the information available to you.

endacl wrote: »
    A belt will either help the problem, or exacerbate the problem. Depending.

That's the extent of the information available to you.

Yep, I know. I'll just have to return to being the nagging partner. My father is a certified physiotherapist and he managed to damage a disc purely by stepping up a stair, a rather scary thing to experience. No joking with your back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

COH wrote: »

Mod note: This really. This thread is asking for advice in lieu of actual medical advice. So I'm going to have to lock it. Any questions, PM me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement