Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Meaning of Life next week

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This.

A disproportionate chunk of the criticism/ire he attracts arises from his tweets.

Twitter is great for proclaiming how much you loved Daniel on strictly last night.

Twitter is awful for debating complex and controversial theories.

If you're forced to summarize your opinion into 1 sentence then you're not doing the topic or your argument any justice. It's simply the wrong medium to be discussing something as complex as where we came from.

But it reaches the masses and also helps book sales...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

seamus wrote: »
    Granny crying into her sherry while your mother tells you that you've ruined the day.

I'm glad they sent a poet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It may be "unnecessary", but it's probably desirable if you hope to win people over to your view, rather than alienate them from it.
    Who says he wants to win people over?
    That may be a religious preacher's prime objective, but not necessarily an atheist's.
    I presume Gaybo will pay him appearance money, and Dawkins will also have negotiated for an opportunity during the programme to plug his new book.

Of course, if he can persuade a few more people over to his way of thinking while he's at it, that's all good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

recedite wrote: »
    Who says he wants to win people over?
    That may be a religious preacher's prime objective, but not necessarily an atheist's.
    I presume Gaybo will pay him appearance money, and Dawkins will also have negotiated for an opportunity during the programme to plug his new book.

Of course, if he can persuade a few more people over to his way of thinking while he's at it, that's all good too.
    That pretty much sounds like he'll be trying to win people over as book purchasers at very least then?

I like his books, I'll assuredly buy the next one and the one after that, but as a media personality I have to say I think Gaybo, love him or loathe him, is a consummate professional and way outclasses Dawkins. Which I think means we'll see an interesting interview, more because because of the host's ability to sell than the guest's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I'm sure some of his adversaries and detractors have also purchased his books at times.
    They say there is no such thing as bad publicity. So in that sense, his tweets probably don't harm his sales at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

What's the betting Richard will start talking in circles and going off topic when asked his opinion of how the world began. He usually mentions the 'Big Bang' and then more or less says that there is no point in trying to explain the big bang as we wouldn't understand.

Quite a lot of people wouldn't, especially when there are people who think it was done by magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What's the betting Richard will start talking in circles and going off topic when asked his opinion of how the world began. He usually mentions the 'Big Bang' and then more or less says that there is no point in trying to explain the big bang as we wouldn't understand.

Hard to believe, but Dawkins was an even bigger crock of nonsense than I expected him to be. At this stage does he even know himself what he is talking about? Complete naval gazing bluffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Hard to believe, but Dawkins was an even bigger crock of nonsense than I expected him to be. At this stage does he even know himself what he is talking about? Complete naval gazing bluffer.

On what points in particular did you find yourself in disagreement with the good professor, Dan?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Hard to believe, but Dawkins was an even bigger crock of nonsense than I expected him to be.
    Would you care to put us right on the matter of the good Professor?

robindch wrote: »
    Would you care to put us right on the matter of the good Professor?

Perhaps Dan was angry because even though Dawkins was sometimes looking right at him from the Magic Picture Box, he didn't reply to any of the things Dan was shouting.

Good professor? Bad professor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just watched it on the RTE player, it was better than I expected i.e. Gaybo was not deliberately being annoying/belligerent

Dan you didn't disappoint in that you did not allow the content of the programme to influence your response to it in any way :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

pauldla wrote: »
    On what points in particular did you find yourself in disagreement with the good professor, Dan?

It's gas the way so many folk are in awe of 'professors' nowadays. I wouldn't mind but getting a doctorate or becoming a professor in something or other was never easier, spend long enough in school and write enough modules and you are all set to go out and impress those shallow enough to fawn all over you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

All hail lord Dawkins. Let us give thanks to thee.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,341 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's gas the way so many folk are in awe of 'professors' nowadays. I wouldn't mind but getting a doctorate or becoming a professor in something or other was never easier, spend long enough in school and write enough modules and you are all set to go out and impress those shallow enough to fawn all over you.

It's gas the way so many folk used to be in awe of priests and call them 'father'. I wouldn't mind but entering the priesthood was incredibly easy. Spend long enough in a seminary and pray enough times and you are all set to go out and demand everyone call you Father while you tell them they're going to burn in Hell.

I find your tenacity at seeing 'how the world began' as a 'checkmate, atheist!' argument strangely endearing.

And I find the atheist view that human beings are on a par with Shep the dog and Daisy the cow to be a little sad.

Penn wrote: »
    It's gas the way so many folk used to be in awe of priests and call them 'father'. I wouldn't mind but entering the priesthood was incredibly easy. Spend long enough in a seminary and pray enough times and you are all set to go out and demand everyone call you Father while you tell them they're going to burn in Hell.
    And it's GASSER the way atheists, all 0.08% of the population,never are able to answer the hard questions and respond with 'but whatabout...'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

And I find the atheist view that human beings are on a par with Shep the dog and Daisy the cow to be a little sad.
    And do you really, really believe that us atheist and agnostic types think that humans are "on a par" with dogs and cows?

Or are you just saying that in a failed attempt to score a juvenile debating point?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,175 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Gosh, this thread is going well, isn't it?

Does anybody have anything to say about Dawkins and Gaybo? I haven't seen it myself; anyone think it would be worth my while?

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I think you're confusing atheists with cannibals :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,341 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And it's GASSER the way atheists, all 0.08% of the population,never are able to answer the hard questions and respond with 'but whatabout...'.

The irony between your two posts is so much gasser that it could be labelled a gas explosion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Gosh, this thread is going well, isn't it?

Does anybody have anything to say about Dawkins and Gaybo? I haven't seen it myself; anyone think it would be worth my while?

That's why I looked this thread up too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Just watched it on RTE player now and I thought Dawkins did really well in conversation with Gaybo. I've never been his greatest fan (in fact, I actively dislike his lack of "graciousness", as Gaybo put it so well), but he came across as very straight forward and with a complete lack of bullsh1t. Very interesting and worth a look.

robindch wrote: »
    And do you really, really believe that us atheist and agnostic types think that humans are "on a par" with dogs and cows?

Or are you just saying that in a failed attempt to score a juvenile debating point?

Ah cmon now Robin you can't have it every way! If as an atheist/agnostic you don't believe that humans have a soul, spirit or a destiny then you are equating them with Shep and Daisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually being atheist or agnostic does not preclude one from believing in a "soul"

/pedant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's gassier that you think atheists only make up 0.08% of the population.

Ah cmon now Robin you can't have it every way! If as an atheist/agnostic you don't believe that humans have a soul, spirit or a destiny then you are equating them with Shep and Daisy.

Not really. It doesn't follow at all that not having a soul/spirit/destiny takes away from our top of the food chain position in terms of consciousness, problem solving and inventiveness. Although of course we don't know, for example, whether whales are far more highly developed than us......

seamus wrote: »
    Actually being atheist or agnostic does not preclude one from believing in a "soul"

/pedant

It precludes me, in fairness! I see no evidence of a "soul".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

It's gas the way so many folk are in awe of 'professors' nowadays.

Its gas the way you replied to that users post, but managed to completely and utterly avoid and dodge the direct question within it.

Check the mirror before you so blatantly misrepresent others. The only person on this thread dodging the questions is you. You even replied to a post just above and entirely ignored the question in it.

I think it entirely possible to be honest about the fact that humans are animals too, and equate them at that level, while still acknowledging the differences between them.

I equate cars with planes as they are both vehicles, but clearly despite that classification there is a multitude of differences between them too.

Similarly we are mammals and animals. We fit every definition of what those words mean. So do sheep. So you can equate them on that level. But doing so does not mean we are comparing them 1:1 on everything. There are vast differences and relevancy that we can explore and acknowledge. And NONE of them require we subscribe to nonsense on insufficient evidence, like "souls" or "gods" in order to do so.

Not really. It was a very tame interview from both sides. Cordial and with nothing even remotely new that anyone who has any existing knowledge of Dawkins and his work would not likely know in depth already.

Many questions he could have gone into in depth he gave cursory answers to because the format of the interview is one of "Short questions, short answers" so no real meat to get into.

The entire interview is best suited for people who have heard the name "Dawkins" but know little else about who he is.

Well he was out by about 9 billion in his last attempt at reckoning; maybe maths isn't his strong point. :)

• Advertisement

Well he was out by about 9 billion in his last attempt at reckoning; maybe maths isn't his strong point. :)

You do know of course that non practicing does not mean that those people are atheist, don't you?

Advertisement