Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shot dead.

Options
  • 11-10-2015 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

News just coming in that a Garda has been shot dead on Omeath, Co Louth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Rip to brave member

Ar dheis de go raibh a hanam

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Confirmed on the RTE News site here.
    Gardaí are investigating an incident in Co Louth this evening during which a member of the gardaí and at least one other person were shot dead.

The garda shot dead was a father of three, aged in his 30s. A second man was also shot dead.

The incident happened just after 6pm at an area known as The Bush, on the Cooley Peninsula near Carlingford in Co Louth.

It is understood the incident happened after gardaí responded to a domestic dispute at a house on the Cooley Peninsula.

Members from Omeath Garda Station arrived at the scene, shots were fired and a garda was fatally injured.

It is understood a woman shot at the scene has been taken to hospital where her condition is described as stable.

The scene has now been preserved pending a forensic examination and the arrival of a state pathologist.

May he RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

RIP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod note:

We're very aware that other boards.ie forums will have a similar thread about this awful incident, but a lot of ES personnel on here only visit the ES family of forums, and given that it's a serving Garda who lost his life, it warrants its own thread here.

Thanks.

-Shield.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RIP, and sincere condolences to their family and friends.

Always feel shocked when a member of our ES loses their life in the course of duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

Latest reports I read so far suggest the shooter was a dissident republican who shot an unarmed Garda who was questioning him, then shot his wife dead and then took his own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Where did you get that report from?
    Obviously rip to the poor guard involved and the other
    Two victims
    Latest reports I read so far suggest the shooter was a dissident republican who shot an unarmed Garda who was questioning him, then shot his wife dead and then took his own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

RIP to the Guard and others, however many. An absolute shame

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ODEON123

Awful stuff RIP

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

RIP. Two brave members losing their lives so near to each other and in such a short passage of time is a heavy burden. My sympathies to his family and to his colleagues in AGS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Rip, so sad, what a tragedy for his family and colleagues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

"Rule no 1, everyone comes home"

Condolences to his unit, friends and Family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Absolutely shocking. A fella doing his job. Nothing more. Nobody deserves that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

RIP to the Guard and others, however many. An absolute shame

RIP to the Garda.

His murderer can rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rip

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Rip that both families caught up in the tragedy . The only positive that can come from this is hoping the mother in hospital will pull through 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Devastating, such sad news, sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

• Advertisement

Devastating.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's a "book of condolences" on rip.ie if anyone wants to leave their sympathies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Its really really sad news. I can't stop thinking about him, his family and all of the people he worked with.
    My Dad was a Guard and while he suffered some injuries (riots in Portlaoise, etc) while at work he always made it home thankfully.
    My cousin was shot and killed in the line a number of years ago and it just devestated his family. It was such a sad and tragic event.

You never think when you go to work that its going to happen to you.

All of my thoughts are with his wife and children.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What more can be said, really?

000b3f9c-642.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

What more can be said, really?

000b3f9c-642.jpg

Nothing, it says it all. :(

Niall Carroll posted this on Facebook.

12068467_622544177887798_5398089331181567809_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Awesome turn out, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The least that could be done for the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

His colleagues certainly did him proud, RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Incredible scenes.

Advertisement