Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, city (particular Patricks Steet to North Main Street) need more reasons to actually go in there. Unless you're going to a certain few shops in that area (Penneys, TKMaxx, Brown Thomas etc), there's not much that's really bringing people in there that they can't go to Mahon Point etc for.

Council should really just go and target trying to revitalise North Main Street, Paul Street and Merchants Quay shopping centres and try to bring the rest of the city centre up by doing that. Create a new Marina Market style option (or just move Marina Market over as you get a lot more parking and it's right in the city then) in one of them, use another as an activity/artist centre etc. More greenspace and trees would be nice too (the city is very grey)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

That's upon request from the Council who have strict signage requirements on the likes of Grafton etc. CCC here on the other hand pick and choose when to apply those rules. Some of the signage on Pana and OPS is awful and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Ya…. That’s the exact point of the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Maxi Zoo advertising for staff at Turners cross ? didnt know they had a store there

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Did we hear any more about that new sandwich place that was supposed to be going in on Patrick's St?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Newly opened, we were at Woodies at the weekend and noticed everyone bringing their dogs to the opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Did I hear C. Nash has landed herself a posh position in the Old Head Golf Club? No more need to deal with the plebs. Hope her staff too had lined up a new position for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Poor Claire.

Jesus lads talk about vitriol. Not everyone cup of tea, but Claire was a hard working business person who created a niche business. She was hugely active in Long Table and gave great promotion to Cork as a food capital over many years. I worked with her, my daughter worked for her and tough boss but got great training which served her really well. Yes she was firm, unique and not to everyone's like. Beware ex staff comments from unsubstantiated sources. Are we really shooting down Cork restaurateurs after 31 years in business employing 20 staff.

Princes Street is high rent, staff were paid well. The fact that clientel were maybe solicitors or bankers that paid a higher price, so what. That was the niche.

My daughter will quote her as the best training she ever got and was one of the first to message her when she heard the news.

Stop with the elitist digs, Clancy, Electric, both closed and staff on statutory. Nash looked after their staff and all got personal calls.

Sorry to rant but Nash was an institution, like or not, she did a huge amount for Cork as a food capital

• Advertisement

Virtiol? Really?

I've heard too much from credible sources to have a iota of sympathy for this person. My sympathies go not only to the staff but to the creditors no doubt left on the hook - the same small and local suppliers that she was so vocal about championing!

Sorry, but being hard working is not a virtue in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

Respectfully how do you know that the comments aren't genuine? After all the same could be said about yours. Yes the food was nice but I didn't like how she treated some people better than others. I also thought it strange that out the back floor space was given to art pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Chemist Warehouse are opening in the Cornmarket Centre

Creditors ? I'd like to know who as any market trader will tell you she was one of the few to not trade on long credit.

I totally respect your comments as well. I'm speaking from my own interaction and that of my daughter and her friends who worked there up until.closure. Some liked the place, some didn't. I didn't think it was fair to castegate her. I know a lot of staff who worked there and hearing no complaints about how it was handled. Maybe some here or you have first hand comments to differ, again respect their/your comments. Mine was to respect what she had done for Cork food. You will very few Cork traders with negative comments.

Maybe I'm wrong but 27 years connected with the trade in Cork and industry vibe is sympathy and gratitude

When Clancys collapsed I was heavily on social and national media for the rights of the staff.

How about Electric ? Not much posted about lack of staff rights here

Sorry I don't mean to sound like a moan, but let's not fall out Beer, I just maybe have another side.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes and no. It’s called Cornmarket Street. Coal Quay is a quay along the river to the west of Paul Street car park. However, since most people don’t know that and call Cornmarket Street “the coal quay”, yes 🤣 I’m being pedantic I know, I just find it funny how people in Cork use the wrong name for things. Such as the N40 Ring Road being called The Link (I do this too but the N27 is technically The Link, not the N40), Bishop Lucey Park being called Peace Park (Peace Park is next to Electric), etc. But in reality, yes, there :)

All I said was, "Poor Claire" 😉 Hardly vitriol.

Yours points are well made. CN was different things to different people - which is part of the problem people have, I think.

I'm not privy to what is owed to creditors but I do know that a creditors meeting was called so someone is owed something.

Trust me, I have my own views about Electric, too, but it hasn't come up conversationally here.

I don't believe I made any comments on how the closure was handled regarding staff. Most comments here and in online reviews refer to her treatment of staff in front of customers.

I won't go on, but I don't believe I, in any post displayed vitriol, nor did I castigate her. I merely, have no sympathy for her as I've never liked the cut of her jib, so to speak. Also, I suspect that she needs no sympathy as, no doubt, she paid herself well all these years and now, it seems, she has found a new job. That was where my, "Poor Claire", comment came from (which I thought was quite funny 😊).

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭shawki

Yeah I’m sure her creditors love her.

“Liquidators have been appointed to her company, Mac Man Ltd, which was trading as Nash 19, and creditors have been notified of a creditor’s meeting early next month.

The latest accounts show that the company had liabilities of more than €250,000 at the end of 2022.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-41307766.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

she has creditiors owed, I spoke to one her creditors the other day, they got caught for a handy sum. Which is grand, its part of doing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I consider where TK Maxx and Lidl is that street, the coal quay 😉

• Advertisement

I'm not entirely sure where exactly, or even if there is a Coal Quay. You have Lavitt's Quay and Kyrl's Quay. Where would The Coal Quay be in relation to these?

But, yeah, Cornmarket Street is commonly and incorrectly referred to as The Coal Quay.

Coal Quay is in between the two, there is a street sign for it. It’s between Kyrl’s Quay (east of Bridewell) and west of Paul Street car park. Given the street is so wide, I would imagine it was at one point a river and maybe it was the quay then

It's not grand for business really, surprised and sad to hear but I stand corrected if that's the case.

They should be ok as i believe her house was up as collateral to support the business

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Any business involuntary liquidated has creditors owed, the largest is generally revenue.

Anyway this is getting a bit personal now for a public forum talking about her house, leave it at that

I agree this is getting too personal and I would have huge sympathy for anyone losing their home (within reason).

On a general note, though. Someone's home could only be security on a particular loan, not against the business, generally, so wouldn't likely to be of any use to most of the creditors.

And it's certainly none of my business whether this is the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭scrotist

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MindBent

Anyone know if Decathlon will be coming to Cork anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

Hope so, but not Patrick St.

Hope it does, but not on or near Patrick St. Enough sports shops there.

Also, I would expect decathlon would make the sports shop industry very competitive in Cork, especially people who may be not aware of its online presence and be surprised at the quality and price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Did the Perry Street deli open at all?

• Advertisement

Chemist Warehouse fit out only starting so not sure when it will open. I think Mannix on Washington Street should be a building like The Capitol with retail below and apartments above. Decathalon would be a good brand to get on the street to bring retail over

Advertisement