Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Joe’s & Bros look to be opening their third spot by the looks of their Instagram. Going into the Winthrop Arcade I’d say taking up another spot. Different offerings this time- have a picture of sushi rice up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Joe’s & Bros look to be opening their third spot by the looks of their Instagram. Going into the Winthrop Arcade I’d say taking up another spot. Different offerings this time- have a picture of sushi rice up.

Were they not there already / in the past? Would they have closed it during the height of the lockdowns to consolidate to one/two locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Were they not there already / in the past? Would they have closed it during the height of the lockdowns to consolidate to one/two locations?

By the looks of it they're taking on another unit again across from Cocoa chocolate cafe. That would make three units in the arcade I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Gardner

anyone know where you can get refills for Sodastream? Have about 6 cylinders and I wouldn't mind exchanging them instead of throwing them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Acosta

InitialG wrote: »
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40295345.html

Plans submitted to turn the green area next to Voxpro in Mahon into over 200 apartments.

Yay, more traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Gardner wrote: »
    anyone know where you can get refills for Sodastream? Have about 6 cylinders and I wouldn't mind exchanging them instead of throwing them out.

The Range used to do them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Acosta wrote: »
    Yay, more traffic

Given the record of large apartment schemes over the last few years, the chances of this being built must be close to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Any update on Aldi in Douglas?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

snotboogie wrote: »
    Given the record of large apartment schemes over the last few years, the chances of this being built must be close to zero.

If it's even given permission due to the zoning of that land... and
    Yay, more traffic

On the flip side, could be 200+ City Gate workers living there and 200 less cars on the road or 200 less seats occupied on the bus. Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

marno21 wrote: »
    On the flip side, could be 200+ City Gate workers living there and 200 less cars on the road or 200 less seats occupied on the bus. Swings and roundabouts.

Obviously that's the ideal scenario, commercial developments tied with residential developments so there's no commute, no traffic. Sounds perfect.

But I'd wonder how it works in reality? If there's a major shortage of accommodation, people will take apartments wherever they get them. So lots of these apartments could well be taken by workers from other areas of the city. Then you end up in a worst scenario: City Gate workers are commuting from a distance because they can't find anything near; and the residents of these apartments might be commuting to work elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

who_me wrote: »
    Obviously that's the ideal scenario, commercial developments tied with residential developments so there's no commute, no traffic. Sounds perfect.

But I'd wonder how it works in reality? If there's a major shortage of accommodation, people will take apartments wherever they get them. So lots of these apartments could well be taken by workers from other areas of the city. Then you end up in a worst scenario: City Gate workers are commuting from a distance because they can't find anything near; and the residents of these apartments might be commuting to work elsewhere.

Homes are better than less traffic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Yay, more traffic

Great access to the Greenway and cycle routes nearby, good bus corridor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

Gardner wrote: »
    Argos (have to pre-order online) and The Range. But The Range were out of them last time I went, so best check ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

The lads from Clancy’s after buying The Grafton and are refurbishing it at present with works going on in the lane also that id imagine will be for the outdoor area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

dulpit wrote: »
    Homes are better than less traffic though.

Oh, definitely. I'm not saying the homes shouldn't be built.

I'm just not sure how well the "build offices and apartments together, so less commuting is required" model actually works in reality, in terms of reducing traffic and commute times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Yay, more traffic

Maybe less as voxpro people can live next by and don't need to drive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Calvin Klein are recruiting for an assistant manager for Opera Lane. https://careers.pvh.com/global/en/job/R22598/Assistant-Manager-Calvin-Klein-Cork-Opera

The Sunday Times reported last week that Calvin Klein were looking to open a store on Grafton Street.

Could they be opening a store in the former Only outlet on Opera Lane, or is this for nearby Tommy Hilfiger store? Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein are owner by PVH group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭opus

A few of the vacant units on Shandon St have been tidied up and are up for rent & sale on both sides of the pizza place (Oregano Leaf). One was a vape shop, the next one an Indian style grocery shop & then the largest was a suit hire place. Just down the road the really ugly building that the owner won't tidy up has been for sale for a while as well. Hopefully things will start to move there now that restrictions are starting to ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,229 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

satanta99 wrote: »
    Calvin Klein are recruiting for an assistant manager for Opera Lane. https://careers.pvh.com/global/en/job/R22598/Assistant-Manager-Calvin-Klein-Cork-Opera

The Sunday Times reported last week that Calvin Klein were looking to open a store on Grafton Street.

Could they be opening a store in the former Only outlet on Opera Lane, or is this for nearby Tommy Hilfiger store? Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein are owner by PVH group.

It’s hard to know.
    I take it the Topshop/Topman unit is available also but that’s very big.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭ofcork

The lads from Clancy’s after buying The Grafton and are refurbishing it at present with works going on in the lane also that id imagine will be for the outdoor area

I heard that had been bought by benny mccabe,not a great lane for outdoor overshadowed and used by winos/junkies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

I think Grafton Street was part of the pedestrianised streets so nice to see it being used. it is currently a dead end alley

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I think Grafton Street was part of the pedestrianised streets so nice to see it being used. it is currently a dead end alley

That explains why Grafton St was included in the list! Montgomery must have made them add it. That'll become a private lane now.

ofcork wrote: »
    I heard that had been bought by benny mccabe,not a great lane for outdoor overshadowed and used by winos/junkies.

No it’s Monty and the lads. Once that’s open patrols in the lane will be beefed up I’d imagine and heard of additional CCTV getting installed. I was in that alley Saturday and the amount of Heroin paraphernalia strewn around was incredible. Iirc The Grafton had quite a large out door area in it so the works in the lane were most likely modifications to that as opposed sitting in the lane

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

No it’s Monty and the lads. Once that’s open patrols in the lane will be beefed up I’d imagine and heard of additional CCTV getting installed. I was in that alley Saturday and the amount of Heroin paraphernalia strewn around was incredible. Iirc The Grafton had quite a large out door area in it so the works in the lane were most likely modifications to that as opposed sitting in the lane

I've heard the lane will be a part of the beer garden from a guy I know that's working on the building. Place is getting complete refurb

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

opus wrote: »
    A few of the vacant units on Shandon St have been tidied up and are up for rent & sale on both sides of the pizza place (Oregano Leaf). One was a vape shop, the next one an Indian style grocery shop & then the largest was a suit hire place. Just down the road the really ugly building that the owner won't tidy up has been for sale for a while as well. Hopefully things will start to move there now that restrictions are starting to ease.

Would be nice to see, nothing seems to last long there though with the exception of Oregano Leaf who've been doing well for a good few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I've heard the lane will be a part of the beer garden from a guy I know that's working on the building. Place is getting complete refurb

Wouldn't think that lane gets much sun so doesn't seem the best location for outdoor area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Why would patrols be beefed up cos of monty?

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Why would patrols be beefed up cos of monty?

This is a fella who got roads in cork closed to expand his bar. I’m sure contacts with a few sergeants will see extra guarda in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Saw a sign in Douglas confirming the Aldi is opening in June. I can't remember the exact date, it was 20-something. So a couple of weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

24th at 9.00am i think

Advertisement