Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Not sure it it's been posted but Here's Health going into Liam Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Monsoon/Accessorize re-opening in Mahon Point.

Not sure it it's been posted but Here's Health going into Liam Russell

Will it be a 4th store for them or are they leaving Patrick Street?
    Great to see a local business thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

from the plans here's health looks more like a big coffee shop for the most part and small retail, i wouldnt be surprised if they both stayed. also yes to cork coffee roasters when i passed it looked ready to open

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

from the plans here's health looks more like a big coffee shop for the most part and small retail, i wouldnt be surprised if they both stayed. also yes to cork coffee roasters when i passed it looked ready to open

In some ways, I feel it's a pity that HH are going in to the premises, they seem like money grabbers tbh. But best of luck to them anyway.

Just thought the street could do with something novel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

SISU taking up a new location in Douglas. South Douglas road I believe.

Interesting little traders argument in Ballinlough, Silver Key has resurfaced the car park and is putting a barrier up to make it customers only....that leaves about 5 spots for the row of shops. The bookies use most of those and Ross's say it will badly hit their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Interesting little traders argument in Ballinlough, Silver Key has resurfaced the car park and is putting a barrier up to make it customers only....that leaves about 5 spots for the row of shops. The bookies use most of those and Ross's say it will badly hit their business.

Theres always a row of cars on the cycle lane on the left before your turn into that square, I cant see that stopping anytime soon based on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

UK retailer opening new store in Wilton according to this job advert - Yours Clothing

https://www.retailchoice.com/job/sales-adviser/yours-clothing-job90699073

Edit: The also look to be opening a store in Douglas Court too.

https://www.retailchoice.com/job/key-holder/yours-clothing-job90698822

i wonder if theyd open in town. Looking at their website they're always in shopping centres, even the two Dublin ones (Tallaght and ilac centre off O COnnell Street). I wonder if Merchant's Quay would suit them? One of the upstairs units. Born fit in there well

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Theres always a row of cars on the cycle lane on the left before your turn into that square, I cant see that stopping anytime soon based on this.

If the Silver Key own the car park then it's a case of tough sh1t for anyone else really. Little grounds for an argument.

Is Daunts Square McDonalds closed? I haven't seen it open in weeks, all signs direct to Winthrop Street and i now cant find it on Google Maps, just Winthrop street and the ones outside the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

Mentioned that a few weeks ago don't know what is going on there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's a franchise... Financial difficulties?

ofcork wrote: »
    Mentioned that a few weeks ago don't know what is going on there.

I suspect its down to the design of the place, very difficult to socially distance in there & now way to introduce a one way system especially for upstairs. The limit that would put on customers & the queues outside, I'd say just easier to stay closed for now.

I can't see they would have repainted the place if they were closing permanently

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭whatever76

Wow that looks nice - must try that out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Uneeda Bookshop on Oliver Plunkett St have announced they'll be closing soon.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/sadness-one-corks-oldest-quirkiest-19028787

Very sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I loved the Uneeda bookshop and its a shame to see it close.

But I am not surprised. Books piled up inside in no real order with a load of books turned so you cant even see the spine. The biggest thing is the front door was always closed and you would think it was closed. A small thing of having to open the door can put people off.

If the books were laid out alphabetically or by genre it would have a chance.

In saying all the negatives, it was a great shop and I bought loads of rare books that I never saw anywhere else. Most I have not read yet! John was always very friendly and its a rare thing now for someone to chat to you as you came in.

Sad to see it shut down as I love bookshops.

But I am not surprised. Books piled up inside in no real order with a load of books turned so you cant even see the spine. The biggest thing is the front door was always closed and you would think it was closed. A small thing of having to open the door can put people off.

In saying all the negatives, it was a great shop and I bought loads of rare books that I never saw anywhere else. Most I have not read yet! John was always very friendly and its a rare thing now for someone to chat to you as you came in.

Sad to see it shut down as I love bookshops.

In fairness is not lack of trade, he's 88 and having run it for 53 years wants to retire. Interestingly he says that trade in vinyl has been really good recently but its time to take it easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

Always wondered why it was called uneeda didnt realise it was u need a put together!!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Just outside the city in Carrigtwohill, Nicholas Roche of Tour De France fame has opened a new bike/sports shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Almost no bookshops left in Cork now. We've recently lost Liam Ruiseal and the Time Traveller's Bookshop and Easons are moving or possibly closing.

Vibes & Scribes and Waterstones are the only ones left I think. Any others?

Almost no bookshops left in Cork now. We've recently lost Liam Ruiseal and the Time Traveller's Bookshop and Easons are moving or possibly closing.

I had only heard of the Time travellers bookshop when it closed down! Never was in there.

I think there are no places to buy new books other than Vibes and Waterstones and Easons but there are a few second hand places that I use all the time.

The Irish Cancer shop on castle street and down the back of the Gorta shop on North Main Street. My favourite place is the Down Syndrome shop upstairs in Merchants Quay. I give all my books in there. They get loads of surplus stock from Easons so you get new stuff really cheap. Usually only 2 euro and 3 for 5 euro. Everyone should go there!

If anyone remembers Rebel Reads on Father Matthew Quay, they are going to be reopening in the coming months in the Marina Commercial park. Not town as they lost their lease on that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Why do people search for negativity?

Pity you didn't read the article.

Over FIFTY years successfully in business.

How long does a business have to be successful to warrant a positive comment.

I lived in ballincolig for about a year. I had been told about this shop by colleagues especially as I wanted specific books (just simple liam o Flaherty short story books) and I found them there.

Yeah it was a bit jumbled, but that was the wonder of it.

50+ successful years - a well earned retirement.

Relax, just gave my thoughts on the shop. Was a great shop that I used all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nearly had a weakness at the prices the TTB were charging. No wonder they're gone.

I do miss the place on Paul St and Ruiseal's. Cancer Society get good books but annoyingly have them on "window sale" on a date when I'm never around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Uneeda was a great shop in the day for some metal LP bargins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

saw a new shop opening in Douglas (church road) called crazy monkey....

looked them up and found these:

https://www.crazymonkey.ie/

Crazy Monkey Facebook page

i hope they do well, its nice to see a non food shop opening in Douglas...and a bike shop is needed these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'd love a bookshop in Cork like the The Book Centre in Waterford. A good bookshop with a lovely cafe set amongst the books.

Advertisement