Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peak travel restrictions for free travel passes

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Have I totally missed something, but when did fares increase for peak time travel only? Or when was there a cap on the number of people allowed to travel at peak hours?

Actually, LUAS charges different peak and off-peak LEAP fares.

Irish Rail offers off-peak fares for people travelling from stations on the Dundalk, Portlaoise, Longford and Athlone lines to/from Dublin after 09:30 Monday-Saturday and all day on Sunday.

Social welfare passes were invalid on city services in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford between 07:00 and 09:45 and between 16:30 and 18:30, until Seamus Brennan relaxed that restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

lxflyer wrote: »
    Actually, LUAS charges different peak and off-peak LEAP fares.
    I actually never knew that (mind you I have only ever been on the Luas twice).

Looking at their website children pay the same peak and off peak and adults and students are only 10c cheaper at off peak, providing they use Leap.

Is it strange that they define peak as 07.45-9.30 in the mornings? I would have thought that commuters would be at work by 9am. You pay off peak at 07.40 but peak at 9.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Is it strange that they define peak as 07.45-9.30 in the mornings? I would have thought that commuters would be at work by 9am. You pay off peak at 07.40 but peak at 9.20.
    It's not that strange. The 9-5 day is a stereotype. Many industrial workers start at 8, many shop workers and some office workers don't start until 10, restaurant workers until 11, while transport workers may have started at any time between 3 and 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

harr wrote: »
    I have a travel pass due to the fact I am a carer for my son who has special needs,we need to travel to city centre from the Midlands for various hospital appointments and different therapys the only way I can get to city is by train as my wife needs our car for work....all his appointments are early morning so need to get rush hour trains....
    I would give anything not to be in the position of needing a travel pass but to us it's vital ...and it's only me who travels free my son is not eligible for a pass till he turns 18 ..
    Pissed off with people taring everyone with a travel pass as wasters and freeloaders...
    I think that many people feel for your situation. However, by giving the FTP to so many people, the situation has arisen where other services are being cut so that people who have no requirement to have free travel get it automatically. If it was given to a smaller group on a needs basis, then that would be much more acceptable. The reality is that some people are denied a transport service (I can't board a bus between 07:45 and 08:15) because politicians want to buy off (some very well off) pensioners with a 'freebie'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Victor wrote: »
    I think that many people feel for your situation. However, by giving the FTP to so many people, the situation has arisen where other services are being cut so that people who have no requirement to have free travel get it automatically. If it was given to a smaller group on a needs basis, then that would be much more acceptable. The reality is that some people are denied a transport service (I can't board a bus between 07:45 and 08:15) because politicians want to buy off (some very well off) pensioners with a 'freebie'.
    I agree with you on this, I have seen the ftp used and abused by a lot of people be that with fake ones or as you said handing them out to people who don't need them...I have seen family's using the same one pass swapping it between them on different days...they are in process of changing the type of card with photos and the likes,not once have I never being asked for id to prove my ftp belongs to me.
    As you said about the pensioners,I have seen pensioners from my town using the ftp and these people are very very wealthy..
    I have seen them drive to the train station in there 152 mercs and use there ftp up to Dublin shopping for the day and returning with there expensive shopping.
    I have also seen scum bags from the town who rob and steel and are genuinely a menace to society use a ftp ,for the life of me I don't understand how these people are automatically handed a ftp?

• Advertisement
Advertisement