Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we dead as a country?

• 09-10-2015 1:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,898 ✭✭✭✭
    M

When less than a half of the country can afford a house and raise 2 kids on their average middle of the road salary it would to me equate that the country is dead in that it can't regenerate the individuals that existed in new births? Why does the government insist on supporting a rental/builder class that is actually killing the future sustainable existance of the country?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,374 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Melodrama is alive and kicking anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

We just beat germany, we're alive and kicking i'd say. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭puckmymuskie

Whinge whinge ****in whinge as Chopper Reed might say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I think that thread title sums up why I hate the concept of nationhood, making out that people are some sort of single entity under a fleg and behind borders. Russell Brand agrees with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Sure tis grand, Edna is letting in loads of new people from dodgy countries and will pay for them to pop out loads of childer. In exactly 18 years from now theres going to be a huge campaign with free training and incentives for those now young adults to take up training for working in pallative care/care of the elderly.

Its like ordering take out but with workers.

Of course, none of them will take it up and will be getting the fup out of here in their droves.

So our eedjit gubberment will just ship some more people in and rinse and repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,813 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

When less than a half of the country can afford a house and raise 2 kids on their average middle of the road salary it would to me equate that the country is dead in that it can't regenerate the individuals that existed in new births? Why does the government insist on supporting a rental/builder class that is actually killing the future sustainable existance of the country?
    I dunno. We have higher home ownership rates than Sweden, Switzerland, the Netherlands, the UK or Germany, to name but a few, so I would have thought that not being able to afford to buy a home is not really a meaningful measure of national not-deadness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

So our eedjit gubberment will just ship some more people in and rinse and repeat.

Thats mass migration baby !

It's the new way of the world. Trick is to get up, get a degree or a good trade under your arse and gtfo.

Ask not what you can do for your country because it can do SFA for you.
    (unless you are an elected official, in which case enjoy the free lunches while they last and manage your own pension in an offshore haven for the love of god)

It's not just the Irish gooberment either. It's pretty much the same everywhere.

Look after no. 1.

Nobody wants to hear your nationalist whinging. It's an illusion, and the sooner you wise up to that, the better for you. Ireland is a tough place to live, but I suppose in one way or another, it always was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ireland is a tough place to live

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

Ireland is a tough place to live, but I suppose in one way or another, it always was.

You smoking something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

It's the new way of the world.
    Eh, migration is one of the oldest 'ways of the world'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

When less than a half of the country can afford a house and raise 2 kids on their average middle of the road salary it would to me equate that the country is dead in that it can't regenerate the individuals that existed in new births? Why does the government insist on supporting a rental/builder class that is actually ailling the future sustainable existance of the country?

Grow up FFS, life is not about owning a house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,374 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think that thread title sums up why I hate the concept of nationhood, making out that people are some sort of single entity under a fleg and behind borders. Russell Brand agrees with me.
    Well, if bad country singers and idiots agree...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Aw it's all broken. Back to the emigration boats. Let's all go to Syria - I hear they have plenty of vacancies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Sure tis grand, Edna is letting in loads of new people from dodgy countries and will pay for them to pop out loads of childer. In exactly 18 years from now theres going to be a huge campaign with free training and incentives for those now young adults to take up training for working in pallative care/care of the elderly.

Its like ordering take out but with workers.

Of course, none of them will take it up and will be getting the fup out of here in their droves.

Wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

brand still believes in a community which is a nation of sorts so not sure the point ? you just hate flags ? ok.

brand is entertaining but apart from his robin hood mantra of giving the poor everything and sticking to fingers up to David Cameron types he doesn't really have in depth plans

But sorry ,
    I'm too hungover to argue with you but you are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There's a lot wrong with and in this little bass-ackward vegetable patch, but I'd have to say that anyone who remembers the '80s would have to admit it's certainly struggling for life now as opposed to clinically dead per sé. Back then if the country was an oul' dag you'd shoot it out of kindness. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Did anyone mention white genocide yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Given Ireland has the second highest fertility rate in the EU (from CSO 2012 figures) I don't see any issue here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Russell Brand agrees
    Those words right there are an incredibly precise bullshít detector.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

If an OP could be a political pamphlet, it would be this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

It's the new way of the world. Trick is to get up, get a degree or a good trade under your arse and gtfo.

Ask not what you can do for your country because it can do SFA for you.
    (unless you are an elected official, in which case enjoy the free lunches while they last and manage your own pension in an offshore haven for the love of god)

It's not just the Irish gooberment either. It's pretty much the same everywhere.

Look after no. 1.

Nobody wants to hear your nationalist whinging. It's an illusion, and the sooner you wise up to that, the better for you. Ireland is a tough place to live, but I suppose in one way or another, it always was.
    First you tell us to get a degree or a trade and gtfo and then you tell us it's the same in every other country. Why should we leave then? People really need to start copping themselves on. Is this country dead? Ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

gandalf wrote: »
    Given Ireland has the second highest fertility rate in the EU (from CSO 2012 figures) I don't see any issue here.
    Well, that's not necessarily a good thing as EU fertility rates are overall quite low on a global scale.

Ireland has a birth rate of 2.1 children per woman. Worldwide the the total fertility rate at replacement was 2.33 children per woman, in 2003, and Ireland is below this - although being a wealthy country with a high life expectancy and low infant mortality rate, the Irish total fertility rate at replacement is likely to be much lower (but naturally would still have to be over 2).

Note also that 23% of births are by foreign mothers, so it is likely that the replacement rate of non-naturalized Irish is, as a result, not being met. Even without that, with 17.5% of non-naturalized Irish having emigrated, we're almost certain not to maintain the present population without replenishing it through immigration.

Overall, Ireland is in this regard in a much healthier state than most other EU, or even developed, countries, but this does not equate necessarily to being in a healthy state, so I'd think twice before using the rest of the EU as a measuring stick.

Yes but we can't blame this on the fact the Gubberment aren't providing cheap/free/affordable housing (delete as appropiate) though as per the OP's train of thought The Corinthian can we ;)

Also given the nature of workforce mobility throughout the EU just because someone is born in Ireland doesn't naturally equate to them remaining in that country for part or all of their adult life. You're a good example of that.

My son is half French, whilst we have currently no plans to move outside Ireland he very well could when he is an adult head to France.

Yes but we can't blame this on the fact the Gubberment aren't providing cheap/free/affordable housing (delete as appropiate) though as per the OP's train of thought The Corinthian can we ;)
    Didn't even touch that point - the EU comparison was plenty to keep my pedantry going ;)
    Also given the nature of workforce mobility throughout the EU just because someone is born in Ireland doesn't naturally equate to them remaining in that country for part or all of their adult life. You're a good example of that.
    I'm not; for a start I wasn't born in Ireland :p

I'm not; for a start I wasn't born in Ireland :p

Whoops my bad :)

But you have such lovely dulcet Irish tones :P

But you have such lovely dulcet Irish tones :P
    I'm glad someone notices. Here they all presume I'm English. Bizarrely it's the English that are most likely to presume this.

I'm glad someone notices. Here they all presume I'm English. Bizarrely it's the English that are most likely to presume this.

Feck it a lot of people think I am American!!

Feck it a lot of people think I am American!!
    That'll be your weight :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ireland is a tough place to live, but I suppose in one way or another, it always was.

No, it most certainly is not. Not when you look at it from a global perspective, anyway, that's for sure.

We are immensely privileged to be born in this country. It instantly puts you in the top 15%, if not higher, in terms of wealth, education, living standards, etc.

Perspective is completely lost if you think Ireland is a tough place to live.

On top of that, we don't even have things like dangerous animals or weather to worry about, for God sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the OP is anything to go by, all we have to do is figure out how to export exaggeration, self-loathing and hyperbole and the country would be set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

seamus wrote: »
    If the OP is anything to go by, all we have to do is figure out how to export exaggeration, self-loathing and hyperbole and the country would be set.

Add begrudgery to that, and we'd blow the Celtic Tiger out of the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Breeding like rabbits we are. We're mad for the sex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I would think that birth rates are linked to an extent to home ownership and cost of living. Thinking logically if you can afford a home (excluding countries where renting is the norm and there is far more protection for renters) and a decent standard of living on one income then its easier to reproduce. If you are living in rented accommodation and both parents have to work then having 3, 4 or 5 kids just isn't really possible. Nursery fees are extortionate and the pressure on parents who are both working is just too much to make it a realistic aspiration.

I imagine a lot of immigrant families still have more traditional family roles where a woman raises children and the man works hence why they have more children. The crucial thing is though that many immigrants are prepared to put up with less 'material' comforts in order to have more children. There is a different set of priorities and immigrants don't tend be as immersed in consumer culture like we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Playboy wrote: »
    I would think that birth rates are linked to an extent to home ownership and cost of living. Thinking logically if you can afford a home (excluding countries where renting is the norm and there is far more protection for renters) and a decent standard of living on one income then its easier to reproduce. If you are living in rented accommodation and both parents have to work then having 3, 4 or 5 kids just isn't really possible. Nursery fees are extortionate and the pressure on parents who are both working is just too much to make it a realistic aspiration.

I imagine a lot of immigrant families still have more traditional family roles where a woman raises children and the man works hence why they have more children. The crucial thing is though that many immigrants are prepared to put up with less 'material' comforts in order to have more children. There is a different set of priorities and immigrants don't tend be as immersed in consumer culture like we are.
    You're overanalysing it here. Birth rates are inversely related to income levels, the world over. The richer people are, the less children they have.

It's not about people being "prepared" to put up less material things in order to have more children. Less educated people lack the skills and foresight to practice family planning and so just breed like rabbits and figure it out as they go.
    People with more education recognise that their personal resources (i.e. people and time) are restricted and so practice family planning that suits those resources and/or their personal preferences.

Part of the problem here is that economic and political systems are traditionally structured in a way that discourages educated people from having children and encourages less educated people to have them. We need to restructure taxation and education in order to allow educated people to have more children at less cost and to discourage less educated people from having children through improved education and limiting the benefits of large families for those on low incomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I don't know why people still persist in pretending that Ireland is on the edge of a meltdown and is akin to most Third World countries when the truth couldn't be farther from that.

Yes some are struggling, yes some are corrupt, yes some have had to leave in recent years to find work but like it or not we have a very high standard of living here and the economy is in fact on the way back up. There are plenty of jobs if people would stop limiting themselves and assuming that 'no jobs in my preferred sector' equals ' no jobs full stop'.

Our government isn't actually that bad but because they can't click their fingers and make our problems disappear just like that everyone has decided to hate them. It took 20 years to get into the Recession, we're not going to get better in 3 or 4 years. They were dealt a horrible hand and naturally have to make some tough decisions to fix the mess they were left with. I defy any one of the whingers and moaners to do better in the same circumstance.

Of course there is room for improvement....but that is true of every country.

Not to mention there are no wars, no terrorists/extremist groups, no extreme weather, no major disease epidemics etc.

A little less doom-and-gloom would go along way tbh. The OP is grossly exaggerating our situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

^^*
    Whingers will always whinge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I don't know why people still persist in pretending that Ireland is on the edge of a meltdown and is akin to most Third World countries when the truth couldn't be farther from that.

Yes some are struggling, yes some are corrupt, yes some have had to leave in recent years to find work but like it or not we have a very high standard of living here and the economy is in fact on the way back up. There are plenty of jobs if people would stop limiting themselves and assuming that 'no jobs in my preferred sector' equals ' no jobs full stop'.

Our government isn't actually that bad but because they can't click their fingers and make our problems disappear just like that everyone has decided to hate them. It took 20 years to get into the Recession, we're not going to get better in 3 or 4 years. They were dealt a horrible hand and naturally have to make some tough decisions to fix the mess they were left with. I defy any one of the whingers and moaners to do better in the same circumstance.

Of course there is room for improvement....but that is true of every country.

Not to mention there are no wars, no terrorists/extremist groups, no extreme weather, no major disease epidemics etc.

A little less doom-and-gloom would go along way tbh. The OP is grossly exaggerating our situation.
    This post ends the argument for me. Agree 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

C'mon OP even leaving aside all the good arguments above, you have to admit that the country is in a much better state than a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Are we dead as a country?

If this question was asked anytime up until about 1985 I would have said YES.

This country is doing very well these days, and its not perfect, but its doing alright...

What a peculiar question to ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Clueless post, go back to the 80s for a time when we struggled. Standard of living is vastly higher than at any other time in the state.(quality of housing, heating, food affordability). You would swear we were a 3rd world country.

Rental/Builder needs incentives to build otherwise housing market will stagnate, rental/builders getting crucified with taxes/charges so are getting out of the market.

I say this as a non renter/builder

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

In Ireland we live under multiple flegs. The Starry Plough , The Republicans Flag, The Scottish National Flag, The Northern Ireland Flag, The Four Provinces Flags, The Starry Plough version 2.0, The Ulsters Volunteers flag etc... .

You feel better now don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

we are exporting enough of that already! why just this week Hyperbole exports have shot up by 20,000%!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I wrote to the UN over human rights abuse because the local shop didn't stock Tayto Smokey Bacon crisps.

We're not going to see the end of the decade at this rate! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

You're overanalysing it here. Birth rates are inversely related to income levels, the world over. The richer people are, the less children they have.

It's not about people being "prepared" to put up less material things in order to have more children. Less educated people lack the skills and foresight to practice family planning and so just breed like rabbits and figure it out as they go.
    People with more education recognise that their personal resources (i.e. people and time) are restricted and so practice family planning that suits those resources and/or their personal preferences.

Part of the problem here is that economic and political systems are traditionally structured in a way that discourages educated people from having children and encourages less educated people to have them. We need to restructure taxation and education in order to allow educated people to have more children at less cost and to discourage less educated people from having children through improved education and limiting the benefits of large families for those on low incomes.

I'm aware of the relationship between income and birth rates but isn't that a very simplistic way of looking at things. Why does more income mean less children? You mention family planning and recognition of limited resources and I don't disagree. My own experience is that people with middle class incomes would prefer to have more children but more children = bigger house, bigger car, more nursery fees, more challenging to continue with two working parents and maintain the same standard of living etc. To an extent middle class people sacrifice a bigger family in order that they can avoid the pressures I describe above and to an extent that's the decision that I'm personally facing. Giving up the comforts of my life for another child doesnt really seem worth it but if you speak to people from less developed countries/economies children are king. They are prepared to sacrifice more in order to have more and prepared to make do with less. I dont think we can just put it down to poor family planning. I think we are doing low income/immigrant a family a disservice when we describe them as just breeding without any forethought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

We're with o leary in his grave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Why do you end a statement with a question mark?
    Have you ever been in a sit-down protest on O'Connell Bridge?

arayess wrote: »
    brand still believes in a community which is a nation of sorts so not sure the point ? you just hate flags ? ok.

brand is entertaining but apart from his robin hood mantra of giving the poor everything and sticking to fingers up to David Cameron types he doesn't really have in depth plans

But sorry ,
    I'm too hungover to argue with you but you are wrong.

Last time I listened to Brand he was making fun of Canadian prime minister who was standing behind his fleg and making fun of phrases like "we as a nation"

You can feel free to keep believing that strangers down the road from you are your brethren if you wish.

In Ireland we live under multiple flegs. The Starry Plough , The Republicans Flag, The Scottish National Flag, The Northern Ireland Flag, The Four Provinces Flags, The Starry Plough version 2.0, The Ulsters Volunteers flag etc... .

You feel better now don't you?

There is no Northern Ireland flag, maybe you are referring to the patricks saltire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Eh, migration is one of the oldest 'ways of the world'.

Migration into heavily populated areas isn't one of the oldest ways of the world. In fact, one could argue that it only began in the late 20th century.

The migration you are thinking of was into empty undeveloped lands. Which is fine. But that game is over.

Ireland is a tough place to live

Let me guess.. You had to skip a few luxuries to tax the car, yea? Missed the pints with the lads? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement