Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we dead as a country?

Options
  • 09-10-2015 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭
    M

When less than a half of the country can afford a house and raise 2 kids on their average middle of the road salary it would to me equate that the country is dead in that it can't regenerate the individuals that existed in new births? Why does the government insist on supporting a rental/builder class that is actually killing the future sustainable existance of the country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Melodrama is alive and kicking anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

We just beat germany, we're alive and kicking i'd say. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭puckmymuskie

Whinge whinge ****in whinge as Chopper Reed might say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I think that thread title sums up why I hate the concept of nationhood, making out that people are some sort of single entity under a fleg and behind borders. Russell Brand agrees with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Sure tis grand, Edna is letting in loads of new people from dodgy countries and will pay for them to pop out loads of childer. In exactly 18 years from now theres going to be a huge campaign with free training and incentives for those now young adults to take up training for working in pallative care/care of the elderly.

Its like ordering take out but with workers.

Of course, none of them will take it up and will be getting the fup out of here in their droves.

So our eedjit gubberment will just ship some more people in and rinse and repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

When less than a half of the country can afford a house and raise 2 kids on their average middle of the road salary it would to me equate that the country is dead in that it can't regenerate the individuals that existed in new births? Why does the government insist on supporting a rental/builder class that is actually killing the future sustainable existance of the country?
    I dunno. We have higher home ownership rates than Sweden, Switzerland, the Netherlands, the UK or Germany, to name but a few, so I would have thought that not being able to afford to buy a home is not really a meaningful measure of national not-deadness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

So our eedjit gubberment will just ship some more people in and rinse and repeat.

Thats mass migration baby !

It's the new way of the world. Trick is to get up, get a degree or a good trade under your arse and gtfo.

Ask not what you can do for your country because it can do SFA for you.
    (unless you are an elected official, in which case enjoy the free lunches while they last and manage your own pension in an offshore haven for the love of god)

It's not just the Irish gooberment either. It's pretty much the same everywhere.

Look after no. 1.

Nobody wants to hear your nationalist whinging. It's an illusion, and the sooner you wise up to that, the better for you. Ireland is a tough place to live, but I suppose in one way or another, it always was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ireland is a tough place to live

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

Ireland is a tough place to live, but I suppose in one way or another, it always was.

You smoking something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

It's the new way of the world.
    Eh, migration is one of the oldest 'ways of the world'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

When less than a half of the country can afford a house and raise 2 kids on their average middle of the road salary it would to me equate that the country is dead in that it can't regenerate the individuals that existed in new births? Why does the government insist on supporting a rental/builder class that is actually ailling the future sustainable existance of the country?

Grow up FFS, life is not about owning a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think that thread title sums up why I hate the concept of nationhood, making out that people are some sort of single entity under a fleg and behind borders. Russell Brand agrees with me.
    Well, if bad country singers and idiots agree...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Aw it's all broken. Back to the emigration boats. Let's all go to Syria - I hear they have plenty of vacancies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Sure tis grand, Edna is letting in loads of new people from dodgy countries and will pay for them to pop out loads of childer. In exactly 18 years from now theres going to be a huge campaign with free training and incentives for those now young adults to take up training for working in pallative care/care of the elderly.

Its like ordering take out but with workers.

Of course, none of them will take it up and will be getting the fup out of here in their droves.

Wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

brand still believes in a community which is a nation of sorts so not sure the point ? you just hate flags ? ok.

brand is entertaining but apart from his robin hood mantra of giving the poor everything and sticking to fingers up to David Cameron types he doesn't really have in depth plans

But sorry ,
    I'm too hungover to argue with you but you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There's a lot wrong with and in this little bass-ackward vegetable patch, but I'd have to say that anyone who remembers the '80s would have to admit it's certainly struggling for life now as opposed to clinically dead per sé. Back then if the country was an oul' dag you'd shoot it out of kindness. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Did anyone mention white genocide yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Given Ireland has the second highest fertility rate in the EU (from CSO 2012 figures) I don't see any issue here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Russell Brand agrees
    Those words right there are an incredibly precise bullshít detector.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

If an OP could be a political pamphlet, it would be this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

It's the new way of the world. Trick is to get up, get a degree or a good trade under your arse and gtfo.

Ask not what you can do for your country because it can do SFA for you.
    (unless you are an elected official, in which case enjoy the free lunches while they last and manage your own pension in an offshore haven for the love of god)

It's not just the Irish gooberment either. It's pretty much the same everywhere.

Look after no. 1.

Nobody wants to hear your nationalist whinging. It's an illusion, and the sooner you wise up to that, the better for you. Ireland is a tough place to live, but I suppose in one way or another, it always was.
    First you tell us to get a degree or a trade and gtfo and then you tell us it's the same in every other country. Why should we leave then? People really need to start copping themselves on. Is this country dead? Ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

gandalf wrote: »
    Given Ireland has the second highest fertility rate in the EU (from CSO 2012 figures) I don't see any issue here.
    Well, that's not necessarily a good thing as EU fertility rates are overall quite low on a global scale.

Ireland has a birth rate of 2.1 children per woman. Worldwide the the total fertility rate at replacement was 2.33 children per woman, in 2003, and Ireland is below this - although being a wealthy country with a high life expectancy and low infant mortality rate, the Irish total fertility rate at replacement is likely to be much lower (but naturally would still have to be over 2).

Note also that 23% of births are by foreign mothers, so it is likely that the replacement rate of non-naturalized Irish is, as a result, not being met. Even without that, with 17.5% of non-naturalized Irish having emigrated, we're almost certain not to maintain the present population without replenishing it through immigration.

Overall, Ireland is in this regard in a much healthier state than most other EU, or even developed, countries, but this does not equate necessarily to being in a healthy state, so I'd think twice before using the rest of the EU as a measuring stick.

Yes but we can't blame this on the fact the Gubberment aren't providing cheap/free/affordable housing (delete as appropiate) though as per the OP's train of thought The Corinthian can we ;)

Also given the nature of workforce mobility throughout the EU just because someone is born in Ireland doesn't naturally equate to them remaining in that country for part or all of their adult life. You're a good example of that.

My son is half French, whilst we have currently no plans to move outside Ireland he very well could when he is an adult head to France.

Yes but we can't blame this on the fact the Gubberment aren't providing cheap/free/affordable housing (delete as appropiate) though as per the OP's train of thought The Corinthian can we ;)
    Didn't even touch that point - the EU comparison was plenty to keep my pedantry going ;)
    Also given the nature of workforce mobility throughout the EU just because someone is born in Ireland doesn't naturally equate to them remaining in that country for part or all of their adult life. You're a good example of that.
    I'm not; for a start I wasn't born in Ireland :p

I'm not; for a start I wasn't born in Ireland :p

Whoops my bad :)

But you have such lovely dulcet Irish tones :P

But you have such lovely dulcet Irish tones :P
    I'm glad someone notices. Here they all presume I'm English. Bizarrely it's the English that are most likely to presume this.

I'm glad someone notices. Here they all presume I'm English. Bizarrely it's the English that are most likely to presume this.

Feck it a lot of people think I am American!!

Feck it a lot of people think I am American!!
    That'll be your weight :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ireland is a tough place to live, but I suppose in one way or another, it always was.

No, it most certainly is not. Not when you look at it from a global perspective, anyway, that's for sure.

We are immensely privileged to be born in this country. It instantly puts you in the top 15%, if not higher, in terms of wealth, education, living standards, etc.

Perspective is completely lost if you think Ireland is a tough place to live.

On top of that, we don't even have things like dangerous animals or weather to worry about, for God sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the OP is anything to go by, all we have to do is figure out how to export exaggeration, self-loathing and hyperbole and the country would be set.

Advertisement