Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets talk about indie games.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

HLD is well worth it, thoroughly fantastic game. ;)

So, something I'm rather interested in and hope to pick up in the Steam Sale if there's a decent enough discount is Shrouded in Sanity. It looks just like a 2D pixelart Bloodborne, and that's got me pretty interested, because these indie Souls clones are doing some pretty cool things. This fact this one seems more akin to Bloodborne with it's Victorian setting.

It is interesting just how From Software have pretty much sparked a whole new subgenre, the 'Soulslike', and how the Dark Souls gameplay is inspiring a lot of indie games. There's quite a few upcoming games that I've got my eye on that are very inspired by the Souls games, namely Death's Gambit and Eitr:

And another that's meant to be quite good, if you can't get enough Souls in your life is Darkmaus:

Furi is just out now. I think this'll be one I'll pick up in a sale eventually, looks terrific, and I love the idea of nothing but boss battles.

Necropolis is out on the 12th then, looking really cool. Again, something I'll pick up in a sale eventually.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Links234 wrote: »
    Furi is just out now. I think this'll be one I'll pick up in a sale eventually, looks terrific, and I love the idea of nothing but boss battles.

If boss battle games are your thing then there's none better than Shadow of the Colossus, a proper classic that game. :)

Furi looks pretty good, TB has a video showing the second boss - combat looks slick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

I think Inside has set a new bar for Indie games. I can't recommend it enough.

Zombie Night Terror is out now, looks fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

If anyone's interested, PC Gamer have a new special issue out about indie games. There's a few interviews and articles as well as reviews of upcoming games and the big titles from the past couple of years. It's well worth a look at.

Read a very good interview with the developers of Brigador: What Happens After An Indie Game Fails On Steam

It's interesting, Brigador has been on my radar for a while now, it looks great but after pouring 5 years of hard work into it, it hasn't really sold very well at all. However, it has to be said that personally I think it's remiss to call a game a failure, because I think that often a game can take a while to find it's audience. Right now for the bulk of nearly 20 euro, it might not find too many folks biting, but it could well find it's footing in sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm not sure what the issue is. Indie games aren't a single community - every tier of games have had both rubbish and perfect games released. As long as there's a Fez or a La-Mulana for every Call of Duty or Fifa produced, I have no problems whatsoever, and people who think they're mechanically simple can enjoy whatever else they want to play and miss out on the games.

Sometimes though, a game can fail if it tries to overshoot - Hero Siege is such a promising game that has been shot down by badly put together updates and a poor attempt to monetise the game further. Space Engineers still feels like it's way too big to ever see a finish line.

Ghost of a Tale is out in Early Access now, and... I'll just let the trailer speak for itself:

Look at the little mouse guy! LOOK AT HIM! :D He's got a little lute and everything! Oh my god! :D That's the most delightful thing I've ever seen! :D I want this game.

Aaaaaand, We Happy Few is now available on Early Access! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ghost of a Tale is out in Early Access now, and... I'll just let the trailer speak for itself:

Look at the little mouse guy! LOOK AT HIM! :D He's got a little lute and everything! Oh my god! :D That's the most delightful thing I've ever seen! :D I want this game.

That looks really cool.

Jim Sterling having a look at We Happy Few:

It's definitely one I'm going to wait and see before getting.

Another games that's just out (and that's a full release, not Early Access) that's piqued my interest is Headlander

That looks really cool.

So I can say for sure, it is. It's really, really cool indeed. Hands down one of the most impressive games I've seen in Early Access.

So, this is absolutely one of the highlights of the haul I got during the Steam Sale, what an absolutely spectacular game. It hits a lot of indie game tropes in one go, anime-inspired pixelart Souls-like Metroidvania, but it's pretty much like crack to me because it does everything so very, very right, and despite the extremely well-trodden ground, it's just brilliant. The game just feels wonderful to play, it looks gorgeous, the music is fantastic and along with the art channels a very Ghibli-esque feeling, combat is simple but very engaging, and it is on the whole one of the best games I've played all year. That's saying a lot, considering I've played so many terrific games this year, better than Salt & Sanctuary even, though in S&S's case, it's very heavily trying to replicate all of Dark Souls' mechanics, whereas Momodora is very light on RPG elements.

Really, seriously wonderful game, and I would highly recommend it.

One game I'm looking forward to is Beat Cop, and Easy Allies just did a preview:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Fun looking doujin combo sidescroller with some 3D farming.

It looks like Hyper Light Drifter filtered through Limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

what indie games would you suggest picking up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Limbo and Inside are two of the greatest games ever made, IMO.

Braid, Gone Home, Hotline Miami, Thomas Was Alone, Super Meat Boy and Broforce are all excellent as well.

Totally depends on what you're into.

FTL is a must have, and most recently Steamworld Heist impressed the ever living heck out of me, it's a bit like Worms meets XCom with a steampunk Firefly-like setting. Utterly blew me away just how fun it was. Darkest Dungeon is another must have, soul crushingly difficult at times, but just incredible. Banished is a really engrossing medieval town building game, great mod support and is incredibly relaxing to play. Oh, and Undertale. Gotta play Undertale. ;)

Give us an idea of what you like, and we can probably recommend some more.

Seraph just popped up in the new releases section yesterday, and I was hooked from the moment I saw the trailer.

Snagged it tonight, only played about 20 minutes so far, but from what I've played it is really cool. Very fascinating concept in that there's no aiming, and it's all about dodging enemies, feels very Equlibrium, Matrix etc influenced. Great launch discount too, so it's at the right kinda price point for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Rather interesting tweet from Daniel Leaver from Dreadbit, the studio working on the Seraph.

https://twitter.com/Rovient/status/778628284208803840

I knew some folk were reticent about Early Access these days but those are some pretty interesting numbers so soon after launch for a game that's flown somewhat under the radar for most of it's development cycle.

Yeah, it does make you wonder. Even as someone who thinks Early Access is generally a good thing, I rarely take part and buy a game that is in early access, and I tend to be quite confident in the game before buying, eg; Darkest Dungeon, Ghost of a Tale. I'd say for most it would be the same, they want a finished game, and not really take many chances.

In Seraph's case, I hadn't even heard of it before release, so it must've flown very under the radar indeed. If that's the case, it makes sense that it would catch more notice on release. But either way it doesn't surprise me if people are generally more conservative with their early access purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yeah, it does make you wonder. Even as someone who thinks Early Access is generally a good thing, I rarely take part and buy a game that is in early access, and I tend to be quite confident in the game before buying, eg; Darkest Dungeon, Ghost of a Tale. I'd say for most it would be the same, they want a finished game, and not really take many chances.

In Seraph's case, I hadn't even heard of it before release, so it must've flown very under the radar indeed. If that's the case, it makes sense that it would catch more notice on release. But either way it doesn't surprise me if people are generally more conservative with their early access purchases.
    Ahem :pac:

Aye, it's interesting how people view the risk though. Given the 24hr post release window, buying without reviews to go by is lower down on the ladder than buying a game on Early Access, regardless of the frequency of updates.

Anyway, after a particular crappy week, I ****ing love everything about this...

Yono and the Celestial Elephants, "Basically Zelda with an elephant." :)

gizmo wrote: »
    Ahem :pac:

Aye, it's interesting how people view the risk though. Given the 24hr post release window, buying without reviews to go by is lower down on the ladder than buying a game on Early Access, regardless of the frequency of updates.

Well I stand corrected! I had even thanked the post. I remember hearing about Tokyo 42 and that's been on my wishlist a while, looks like a more colourful Syndicate, but don't even remember if I looked at the trailer for Seraph back then. How odd. :o

Yeah, Early Access, much like Kickstarter, has it's risks and that's something you do have to be concerned about going into it, though I do feel that Early Access is something people will readily buy into moreso than Kickstarter. I've still only bought a handful of games while they were in Early Access, but I've backed a whopping 2 KS campaigns, only one of which is a game. That's not a condemnation of them either, I've regularly sung their praises and the quality of games they've funded and produced, but just tend to wait for a finished product.

Looks interesting (and familiar). It's been knocking about the place for a while. Supposedly it's made by just three people.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Narita Boy looks amazing, too bad we won't see it till December 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

what indie games would you lads recommend for pc lads?

Advertisement