Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weights question

Options
  • 08-10-2015 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

i know 90% losing weight is diet etc

but if ur a big person ( overweight ) and u just want to tone up and lose weight which is bettee

a ) low weigt x high reps

b) heavy weight x low reps

also provided ur diet is good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

but if ur a big person ( overweight ) and u just want to tone up and lose weight which is bettee

There's not enough to suggest one is better than the other for losing fat. Some people just think that more reps will dissolve fat because they're doing more.

Combine the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Technically it is 100% diet, if you look at it a certain way. You could lie in bed 24 hours per day and still lose weight as long as you ate less calories than your body was burning.

In that sense, all doing exercise does is burn a few extra calories - a lot less than most people think. Lifting weights is a great idea because it will help you look awesome once you lose the extra fat, and it will make you stronger; but if food is 90%, and exercise is the other 10%, of that ten, about 0.000000000001% is what sort of rep/set combos you are doing.

Working out consistently is what is important, and having patience and discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Zillah wrote: »
    Technically it is 100% diet, if you look at it a certain way. You could lie in bed 24 hours per day and still lose weight as long as you ate less calories than your body was burning.

In that sense, all doing exercise does is burn a few extra calories - a lot less than most people think. Lifting weights is a great idea because it will help you look awesome once you lose the extra fat, and it will make you stronger; but if food is 90%, and exercise is the other 10%, of that ten, about 0.000000000001% is what sort of rep/set combos you are doing.

Working out consistently is what is important, and having patience and discipline.

good reply

but others do diff exercises based on what they want to look like , arnold or van damme

i just want to have a nice van damme shape underneath as i lose weight ( i dont mean bulging arms or huge thighs ) but toned if that makes sense

"Toned" doesn't make sense, really. That word is generally just used to refer to "some muscle and low body fat".

It will be years of work before you have to worry about sculpting the exact shape of your muscular body. Just work on getting good all round development now and you can hone later. Much more important than "how many reps in how many sets" is which exercises you are doing and how often? Are you following a program? Are you doing the big compound movements?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

good reply

but others do diff exercises based on what they want to look like , arnold or van damme

i just want to have a nice van damme shape underneath as i lose weight ( i dont mean bulging arms or huge thighs ) but toned if that makes sense
    can you do a pull up and chest to floor push ups for reps??

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    can you do a pull up and chest to floor push ups for reps??

yes

"Toned" doesn't make sense, really. That word is generally just used to refer to "some muscle and low body fat".

It will be years of work before you have to worry about sculpting the exact shape of your muscular body. Just work on getting good all round development now and you can hone later. Much more important than "how many reps in how many sets" is which exercises you are doing and how often? Are you following a program? Are you doing the big compound movements?

ill never get muscular frame , but i dont want to do heavy weights if its gonna bulk up my size

ill never get muscular frame , but i dont want to do heavy weights if its gonna bulk up my size

It won't happen by accident. You'll be fine

Everyone who ever says they're worried about their appearance getting bulky are afraid of fat. No one has ever regretted getting muscle. And it takes a loooong time to develop any significant muscle mass - you're never going to wake up and go "oh my God, where did all these muscles come from?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Everyone who ever says they're worried about their appearance getting bulky are afraid of fat. No one has ever regretted getting muscle. And it takes a loooong time to develop any significant muscle mass - you're never going to wake up and go "oh my God, where did all these muscles come from?!"

Oh yeah?

tumblr_inline_nl352sKYQw1r3eymz.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

yes
    then load them with weights (chin/dip belt) or put weight into a backpack and wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

good reply

That's still diet,

If Van Damme ate like Arnold he would have looked more like Arnold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I would never want the kind of bulk that I see many guys getting in the gym - regardless of bodyfat %.

BF % is not the only measurement of bulkiness.

You can have a low BF% but still be insanely heavy and bulky. (and that's not optimal for high level health and fitness)

BF % is not the only measurement of bulkiness.
    ??Who said it was??

BF% is a measure of leanness, that's all.

Mellor wrote: »
    ??Who said it was??

BF% is a measure of leanness, that's all.
    Everyone who ever says they're worried about their appearance getting bulky are afraid of fat.

^^^Here.

The suggestion in the above comment, is that when people are worried about bulkiness... they're only worried about body fat.

But that's simply not true. Bulkiness is more than just about BF %.

There are lots of very bulky guys walking around with low body fat. But their physique would often be very unappealing to many people.

^^^Here.

The suggestion in the above comment, is that when people are worried about bulkiness... they're only worried about body fat.

There are lots of very bulky guys walking around with low body fat. But their physique would often be very unappealing to many people.

No. The suggestion is that people worry about the increased bodyfat that goes with bulking. And it is a concern of people who want to bulk.

Nothing suggested about bulkiness equating to bodyfat.

A person can look bulky if they have massive amounts of muscle, yes. No one that has ever said the words "I'm afraid of being too bulky" meant muscle. They're fat, and fantasise about being lean, and in their mind that means nothing but losing weight, instead of gaining a decent amount of muscle like they should.

You have an astounding ability to be wrong about absolutely everything.

^^^Here.

Ah I see what you mean. Increased bulk can be fat or muscle.

I was saying that BF% only measures relative fat levels. it tell its nothing about size/bulk overall. (bodybuilder verses long distance runner)

No. The suggestion is that people worry about the increased bodyfat that goes with bulking. And it is a concern of people who want to bulk.

Yes. His remark clearly suggested that when people are concerned about being too bulky... it's ONLY ever about fat. Never about bulky muscles.
    A person can look bulky if they have massive amounts of muscle, yes. No one that has ever said the words "I'm afraid of being too bulky" meant muscle.

So you're telling me no one has ever looked in the mirror (or at someone else).... and thought their muscles were too big? :rolleyes:

No one has ever looked at arnold schwarzenegger and thought his muscles were too big? Are you actually serious? Or just fully committed to disagreeing with anything I say? lol

I know many people who think they've gained too much size. Part of the problem, however, is that very few people fully understand what they're looking at. They can't always tell instinctively what is muscle mass and what is fat mass. They just just see too much general size/bulk.

Many people would look at Jay Cutler, for example, and see someone who is too big and bulky. Would they know his BF levels? Would they even care about his BF%...?

• Advertisement

Yes. His remark clearly suggested that when people are concerned about being too bulky... it's ONLY ever about fat. Never about bulky muscles.

So you're telling me no one has ever looked in the mirror (or at someone else).... and thought their muscles were too big? :rolleyes:

No one has ever looked at arnold schwarzenegger and thought his muscles were too big? Are you actually serious? Or just fully committed to disagreeing with anything I say? lol

I know many people who think they've gained too much size. Part of the problem, however, is that very few people fully understand what they're looking at. They can't always tell instinctively what is muscle mass and what is fat mass. They just just see too much general size/bulk.

Many people would look at Jay Cutler, for example, and see someone who is too big and bulky. Would they know his BF levels? Would they even care about his BF%...?

If someone else thinks Arnold Schwarzenegger is/was too big, then that's their opinion and they're fully entitled to it. Same with Jay Cutler. But by the same token, Jay Cutler might look back and not like their look. It's ok for people to have different goals.

But I doubt he'd agree. He was at least as big as he wanted to be.

I wouldn't have thought most people looked in the mirror and thought they had too much muscle. Unless they hadn't seen their reflection for a year or two

No one has ever looked themselves in the mirror and felt their muscles were too big (without mental illness being involved). You know why? Because growing muscle takes so much effort, so much energy, so much discipline, over such an incredibly long time that they would certainly have reached the point where they said "Ok, I am satisfied now". No one ever stumbled into being amazingly ripped for the same reason no one ever accidentally made a computer game or built a house: it requires dedicated effort over time.

Of course people have looked at other people and thought they were too muscular; that's completely different and it is astounding to me that you don't see the difference.

No one ever stumbled into being amazingly ripped for the same reason no one ever accidentally made a computer game or built a house: it requires dedicated effort over time.

Except for Tom Hanks in Big.

Advertisement