Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Ever Build/Desktop

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Where are the cables from, and if PSU cables what's stamped on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

There's a cable for USB and one for USB 3.0, I also don't seem to have a cable to go into the graphics card, all I've done to that is slot it into place

They go into a rectangularly port at the bottom of the motherboard for them, check the manual for the pin placements.

They're optional anyways, for the front USB. Christ I hate those pins.

The GPU cable comes from the PSU, it has GPU stamped I think. The data goes through where its slotted in

The cables I have seem to be too big, I might have a cable with room for 8 pins but the mobo doesn't have any 8 pin clusters left

Ah the USB 3.0 one goes towards the back of the GPU on the board, above it. It's close to the 24pinz connector, I forget its a different connection. Not all boards have the connection

• Advertisement

Ah the USB 3.0 one goes towards the back of the GPU on the board, above it. It's close to the 24pinz connector, I forget its a different connection. Not all boards have the connection

My board has two physical USB 3.0 ports however I don't believe it has any connectors to support the 3.0 port on the front of my case. Would that be possible?

The two USB 3.0s are at the back of the board is it? I don't fully follow

The two USB 3.0s are at the back of the board is it? I don't fully follow

Yea sorry, there's two USB 3.0 ports at the back, the rear panel I/O, my case then has two on it at the front with a cable coming from them, I'm confident enough to say that my board doesn't have a 3.0 connector on it so do I just leave the cable hanging there

Pretty much, nothing can be done with it in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

You can get an adapter to convert the USB 3 ports on the front of the case to USB 2 sockets if your mobo only has 2.0 connectors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/i7-4790k-16gb-gtx-970-g1-ssd-128gb-mini-itx/9502536

Hi guys considering buying this machine with a 980 gpu in it? Thoughts?? Potential issues etc?? Anything I'm missing?

It's got a 970 yeah? Serious machine, good price, I wouldn't hold back as he's a good seller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

It's got a 970 yeah? Serious machine, good price, I wouldn't hold back as he's a good seller

Hes gonna change it for a 980 and we do something on the price

Lads I really appreciate all the help so far.

I'm at the final hurdle of the actual building part, the fans.

My case has 5 fans. Three of these have Molex connectors and the other two have three pin connectors.

My motherboard has 1 four pin header for the chassis fans.

I have a PSU cable that can take four Molex connections and has a floppy connector on the end.

I presume I connect the Molex fans with the cable from the PSU and disregard the floppy.

Do I need to get a splitter cable of some sort to join up the other two fans and connect them to the motherboard?

Advertisement