Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Advent calendars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭ Alicat

I'm pretty sure the Body Shop one and the Benefit one are available here but I couldn't swear to it as I haven't physically seen them in the shops. The Yankee one is definitely available, I saw it in Blanchardstown.

There's a lot of companies copying them this year. We had two cheaper versions in, including a Frozen one, but obviously they wouldn't be as nice as the big brand ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭ Sunny Dayz

Really would like the No7 advent calendar.

Every year I do be tempted to get my son the lego advent calendar but it is really expensive and I think he kinda prefers getting a little chocolate to eat each day!

Seen a beer advent calendar on one of those groupon type's this morning but I can't for the life of me remember which one to link it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭ lovelystuff

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

Seen a beer advent calendar on one of those groupon type's this morning but I can't for the life of me remember which one to link it up.

It's on groupon, http://www.mydealpage.ie/default/shortpage.php?rid=4&dealid=129418

I just got one for my OH thanks for spotting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ December2012

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/20/11-amazing-2014-christmas-advent-calenders-for-grown-ups-and-they-involve-vodka-and-make-up-4913675/

Was just reading this and I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like that in Ireland?

I know we have most of those shops here, but where else could I go looking for these alternative/luxury advent calendars?

Wouldn't mind the Yankee candle one as an early Christmas present to myself ;):p

The Yankee ones are on sale in Hickeys Pharmacies.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭ Scarinae

I saw a gin one last year, it was over £100 though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭ Deenie123

I got the Benefit one last year. Sample sizes were good, decent variety of products... Apart from 3 - one was a "bracelet" that was actually just a ring of elastic, one was a hair clip that looked like it was designed with a toddler in mind that pinched my hair quite badly, and one was a "necklace" that was actually just a bit of thread with a foil disc on it. At a cost of around €3 per advent day, I think it was pretty cheap of them. They basically got a tenner for tat that has nothing to do with benefit. To be completely fair to them, I did complain in store and got shrugged at, so I took it to social media and they sent me out 3 product samples in replacement of the three duds. Still, I think if you're going to do an advent calendar for your product, it should be about your product and I think it's cheeky for them to fob people off with basically only 7/8ths of what they've paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭ Pang

There was an article on the Mail about alternative advent calendars. There was a tea one which I would love. Different sachets of tea for every day! Some of the flavours mentioned sounded amazing, gingerbread chai anyone?!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭ Toto Wolfcastle

Just saw this Lily O'Briens advent calendar popping up on Twitter so I thought it would be nice to have an advent calendar thread. Loads of companies are doing them these days if you want to splash out and have something a bit different.

https://twitter.com/lilyobriens/status/651717603950522368

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc

Amazing! Might splash out on that for myself, love Lily O'Briens haha.

I got my fiancée a Ciate Mini Mani advent calendar last year some other unique ones for 2015 are in the link below.

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/christmas/the-best-beauty-advent-calendars-for-2015-11364009036843

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Mystery Egg

I have a beautiful, lit, wooden advent calendar that I will look forward to sharing with you guys. But it's locked away and won't be coming out til December! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,279 ✭✭✭✭ vicwatson

Lidl have their calendars at their checkouts, i think 99c

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ polydactyl

I am getting my husband the lego advent calendar as I normal get him some lego but not this year and this will be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭ baby and crumble

polydactyl wrote: »
    I am getting my husband the lego advent calendar as I normal get him some lego but not this year and this will be fun :)

Hold the phone LEGO ADVENT CALENDAR??!!????

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭ BANNERMAN98

Just reserved my Lego advent calendar!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Mystery Egg

I just found a photo. :)

10zoec9.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc

So pretty!

If anyone was considering getting the Lily O'Briens advent calendar you can get 20% off online with the code CHOCWEEK until Sunday.

If you want to fill your own bags, Ikea has these bags with numbers. They're very good quality.

vinter-2015-gift-bag__0371277_pe551625_s4.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭ XxMCRxBabyxX

Just bought myself a Ciate Nail polish advent calendar in TK Maxx. Now I'm more excited about getting to start opening that than Christmas itself!

Craft beer advent calendar! Some nice ones in there.

Or if you want to make your own, you could use a beer box like this and fill it yourself.

bb91db4a48f3d29a754a3efa8e538344.jpg

Or this one using shipping tubes.

1417112687.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭ Day Lewin

A friend of mine in England who has a saucy streak was given an Advent Calendar by her boyfriend last year - with 28 different pairs of knickers tucked into it.

Absolutely true fact.

Tesco are selling selected advent calendars for €1. I got a minion one to countdown the days with! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭ iguana

I bought a Disney Planes advent calender in TK Maxx last January. It's filled with art and craft supplies. I'm also making him a special advent_ures book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭ RentDayBlues

polydactyl wrote: »

Thanks for this, picked up the star wars one this morning

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭ iguana

Thanks for this, picked up the star wars one this morning

My husband is crazy about that one. But I think we'll wait for a couple of years to get it. Maybe when the little guy is 5 or 6.

iguana wrote: »
    My husband is crazy about that one. But I think we'll wait for a couple of years to get it. Maybe when the little guy is 5 or 6.

My two are 3yrs and 19 months, although they have duplo they both love it when the real lego is taken out to play with, though I doubt their dad will be eager to share this one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ Sarah1991

Does anyone know where I could buy an advent calander I can fill myself?

Sarah1991 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could buy an advent calander I can fill myself?

Not a calendar, but heatons had beautiful wooden houses that you filled yourself, really nice; around €20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭ kitten_k

Dunnes have something similar but not sure if the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ Sarah1991

Not a calendar, but heatons had beautiful wooden houses that you filled yourself, really nice; around €20
    kitten_k wrote: »
    Dunnes have something similar but not sure if the cost.

Thanks!! I'm planning on filling one for my friend with candles, small sample make up/creams and other bits so I'll defo have a look at the above suggestions!

Advertisement