Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 mins a day exercise is no good + your Blood Pressure is to high

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭millie35

who takes medical advice from a tombstone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/246366.php

Maybe we are doing too much or not enough....

I like this quote from an American doctor, Clifton Meador

"‘Nothing has changed so much in the health-care system over the past twenty-five years as the public’s perception of its own health. The change amounts to a loss of confidence in the human form. The general belief these days seems to be that the body is fundamentally flawed, subject to disintegration at any moment, always on the verge of mortal disease, always in need of continual monitoring and support by health-care professionals. This is a new phenomenon in our society.’"

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Desmonddoyle

Exercise itself is a relatively new phenomenon too. We used to just do stuff, now apparently we do very little and try to squeeze 'activity' into a few nice, easy packages of time.

It's exactly what we tend to do with everything - some would happily swallow a single nutrition pill every day in lieu of eating on the basis that it was optimal and saves all that time cooking and eating.

There seems to be a lot of scaremongering around at the moment. Apparently over half our children are overweight, yet I look at my children's classes, and the school yard in general, and I see one or two tubby kids per class, exactly the same as when I was in school. If you were being cynical, you'd say scaring healthy people into going to their healthcare providers for tests which they don't need is nice easy money, same as selling gym memberships to people who don't need them, or endless supplements people really don't need either.

Endless contradictory studies just breed fear panic in people, which is best calmed by some purchase or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Exercise itself is a relatively new phenomenon too.

How are you defining "new"? The Greeks were throwing heavy things around in gyms three thousand years ago purely to get buff.
    There seems to be a lot of scaremongering around at the moment. Apparently over half our children are overweight, yet I look at my children's classes, and the school yard in general, and I see one or two tubby kids per class, exactly the same as when I was in school.

A, you glancing around a school yard does not trump national studies - this is called sample size. Yours is small. B, I would suggest that maybe your perception of what counts as "overweight" or "obese" might not fully align with what the medical profession says, or what previous generations would think.

Random little aside: I happened to see a little pro-cycling video produced by the British government in the sixties recently, and it makes fun of a fat policeman by saying that a sturdy bike can take even his bulk. They have a sort of fat guy music playing at the time. The thing is, though, the policeman would probably not even be called fat by modern standards. Maybe a little chubby, but he'd blend in seamlessly with a modern group of 35+ year olds, but even as recently as the sixties that body type was considered excessively overweight.

As a rule the majority of science reported by journalists should be discounted right away because they're journalists who rarely know what they are talking about, and more importantly, cherry pick the most exciting results because it sells papers.

That said, the 30 minutes per day group apparently saw “modest reductions” in heart attacks, so the headline is already bullshit.
    ford2600 wrote: »
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/246366.php

Maybe we are doing too much or not enough....

I like this quote from an American doctor, Clifton Meador

"‘Nothing has changed so much in the health-care system over the past twenty-five years as the public’s perception of its own health. The change amounts to a loss of confidence in the human form. The general belief these days seems to be that the body is fundamentally flawed, subject to disintegration at any moment, always on the verge of mortal disease, always in need of continual monitoring and support by health-care professionals. This is a new phenomenon in our society.’"

It's a good quote, but, can you really blame them when the average lifestyle is doing such catastrophic damage to people's health? It's no wonder people have a perception of the human body being feeble and illness-prone when most people eat horribly and live sedentary lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Wasn't there a large study of studies (meta study?) Done last year that found the greatest benefit to longevity was 450 minutes a week moderate exercise?

Iirc you could take quite a bit if time off that with intense training but the general take home was that 30 mins a day was laughably inadequate

• Advertisement
Advertisement