Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torn cartilage in the knee, anyone know what rehab is like after surgery?

Options
  • 05-10-2015 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭

My sister has recently badly torn her meniscus cartilage in her knee and is pretty much immobilised by the pain of it. She's been told surgery is her only option, she's seen a surgeon and is going ahead with the op in a few weeks.
    He's told her 30 mins 3 times a wk on an exercise bike will be ok for rehab. There's a complication however, she's recovering from glandular fever and every activity is exhausting her and making her sicker, she can't work atm or go for any sort of decent walk because of it. She's been told this is normal for 6 months to a year after the infection but really can't wait that long for the knee op. She's thinking she could maybe spread the 30mins x 3 sessions into 90 mins over the course of a week. Does that sound realistic to anyone who's experienced it?

Has anyone gone through the rehab for an arthroscopy to repair cartilage damage? Is much exercise required for full recovery? Looking at her today I can't imagine it happening if it is. I really want to help her so any advice would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

From what I understand, medical advice shouldn't be given out on boards.ie and they recommend you talk to a professional (a doctor for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Surely you can ask the surgeon these questions? Also, I imagine she would have a physio available to her for the recovery period to help her work it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

She has of course asked the surgeon but I'm not sure he understood the extent of the debility from her exhaustion, or maybe that she fully understands. I wasn't looking for medical advice, obviously I'm not going to be deciding what she does with her medical care, I was just wondering if anyone who'd been through it felt it was intensive.

Advertisement