Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on weekly workout split

Options
  • 05-10-2015 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this weekly workout plan for the next month.

Trying to build my fitness back up after a long break due to shoulder injury and need to be fit in time for Christmas.

Trying to work around class times in my gym so here's what i'm looking at:

MON|TUES|WED|THUR|FRI|SAT|SUN
    Upper Body|Lower Body|Core|Yoga|Core|Full Body|Rest
    +|+|+|+
    Spin|Spin|Spin|TRX

The core workouts are ones I've put together myself for building up explosive power in the legs and strengthening the general core muscles for snowboarding. Lots of box jumps, jump squats, planking and balance ball exercises etc.

Just wondering if people think this is over doing it, i feel like i'm neglecting my weight training a bit but as i said i'm recovering from shoulder injury so trying to ease back into lifting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Desmonddoyle

Why do you 'need' to be fit by xmas - do you have some kind of physical for a job ?

Looks like a pretty full schedule to me- maybe try and do two full body workouts on days when your not doing classes. Still give one day rest, but have 4 cardio and 2 weights. You'll be able to put a lot more into your weights sessions that way.

I'd go very easy coming back after your shoulder injury - build it up slowly and don't take any risks with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Why do you 'need' to be fit by xmas - do you have some kind of physical for a job ?

Looks like a pretty full schedule to me- maybe try and do two full body workouts on days when your not doing classes. Still give one day rest, but have 4 cardio and 2 weights. You'll be able to put a lot more into your weights sessions that way.

I'd go very easy coming back after your shoulder injury - build it up slowly and don't take any risks with it.

I'm going snowboarding. Lots of hiking in snow, jumping and just general boarding around the mountains requires a decent level of fitness. I've always been fit and have weight trained for the last 4 or five yrs solid until i hurt my shoulder so just trying to make up for lost time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

And fix the damn hyperlink in your signature

discus wrote: »
    And fix the damn hyperlink in your signature

Sorted ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I reckon you could combine Friday and Saturday's workouts. Give yourself 2 days off a week that way.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to keep myself busy and stay off the drink!;) The devil makes work for idle hands... in my case usually by putting a pint glass in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd consider moving one of the spinning classes to the end of the week. It may not be having a negative impact n the weight training but it's certainly possible if you're going hard at spinning three days in a row.

I'd consider moving one of the spinning classes to the end of the week. It may not be having a negative impact n the weight training but it's certainly possible if you're going hard at spinning three days in a row.

the spin class im taking is only 30 mins. id normally try do 20 mins steady state after a workout anyway do you think it could really have a negative effect?

I was actually considering doing an extra spin on the sat too but though 3 HIIT type session a week would be enough along with the TRX session to improve from the fitness side of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

the spin class im taking is only 30 mins. id normally try do 20 mins steady state after a workout anyway do you think it could really have a negative effect?

I was actually considering doing an extra spin on the sat too but though 3 HIIT type session a week would be enough along with the TRX session to improve from the fitness side of things?

It's not a given that it will. If it's 30 minutes and at the end of the workout, it's much less likely to.

But you'd know yourself if it was having an impact on the next day's weight training. If it's not, lean ar aghaidh.

Should be enough.

Sound. So far so good. Tired in the evenings after gym and a spin but i'm sleeping like a baby so it's all good! I'll keep an eye on things anyway. With the weights i don't think i'll notice too much either way as i'm only lifting light enough till i build my shoulder back up, way under what I used to so its hard to judge if the cardio is effecting me as the weights are all light to lift in the first place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement