Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian O'Doherty

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

An Irish Tony Parsons. why are we meant to care what this fat bellend cokehead thinks or writes about anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

'Leftist' is nothing but a catch-all term that the lazy-minded like to attach their gripes about the world to.

This is a term used by the pro-Iraq war crowd to label anyone who opposes them. Ian O'Doherty cannot resist bringing in his denunciation of leftists, pacifists and feminists in all his articles. For example, this one of the merits and demerits of Garth Brooks he has to have a go at leftists, feminists and pacifists:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/ian-odoherty/for-the-last-time-it-just-aint-country-30437977.html

Why does he have to drag irrelevant stuff into this article? He could surely have made his point without bringing in these non-relevant issues. Sometimes, he gets it right like with his review of The Voice of Ireland:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-reviews/ian-odoherty-its-the-bland-leading-the-deaf-tv-reviews-of-the-voice-and-claire-byrne-live-31025427.html

It would be nice for once to see O'Doherty condemn the Iraq war and say he got it wrong and that this war was a mistake when one looks back at it now. He seems to think all pacifists are Garth Brooks-listening lefties who are afraid to speak up for themselves. This is plain wrong. Interestingly enough he praises Willie Nelson who is one of the most outspoken opponents of the Iraq war and GW Bush.

Unfortunately mainstream modern media likes trollery dressed up as journalism now more than ever. It's clickbait. The more outrageous it is the more clicks it gets. Editors love more clicks cause it means they can claim higher readership to advertisers. It's disgusting, gutter "journalism" and particularly revels in attacking minorities or vulnerable people. It does need to continuously be challenged in various ways though whether that be pointing out the flawed arguments or using the weak press complaints mechanisms. Myers and O'Doherty have both been pulled up on their extreme hate speech rhetoric by the Press regulators.

Exactly. Disgusting trashy gutter journalism at its worst is what O'Doherty excels on. He is an out of touch elitist who gets paid for writing rubbish and does not have to work for a living. His views on minorities and the vulnerable come partly from the fact that he is inherently intolerant but also the fact that he is totally out of touch. He would not be able to do a job in the real world.

He totally abuses free speech much the same as a serial killer abuses the right to bear arms. At best, O'Doherty's articles are bland and say nothing. At worst they are totally racist and intolerant.

What so you would prefer I fully liberal left/Irish times style journalism? We need more journalists like Myers & O'Doherty to give alternative opinions on what's presented in the media, it might not tie in with your view of the world but we live in a western democracy at the moment where free speech is still allowed!

I have no problem with different viewpoints but not the spouting of racism and agendas. O'Doherty is a thoughtless arrogant journalist who insults, offends and so on for the sake of it to give him publicity. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

I tire of this term liberal left and it is used by the likes of O'Doherty to belittle anyone who thinks things through. I am neither rightwing or leftwing or any political persuasion and do not see much difference to be honest. But when I see wrong, I see wrong: what happened in Louth last Sunday is wrong, invading Iraq and killing 1000s and destabilising a region is wrong (does not mean I idolise Saddam). Equating entire populations in the Arab world with terrorists is wrong. The way women are treated in many places in the Middle East is wrong. All these are wrong, and some are ignored by the right and by the left to suit agendas.

Alternative opinion should be argued but not blindly following and spouting propaganda for certain regimes and organisations. Free speech is a right we have but it is like owning a gun. O'Doherty spouts his anti-Islam hatred v Hamza spouting his anti-West hatred. Both advocate the killing of members of their enemies and justify civilian death and equate all members of their enemy race as the same. In other words, O'Doherty is exactly like those he claims to hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Wow a lot of hate for Ian, BuilderPlumber, well obviously people like to read him as he has a good job in the Indo, and dare I say it he is not afraid to have an opinion on important issues like migration to idiotic developers like Johnny Ronan! And I'm sure if he had to do a "real Job", he'd make a better go of it then some of the lazy layabouts we have in this country. Ian O'Doherty for Taoiseach!

• Advertisement

Wow a lot of hate for Ian, BuilderPlumber, well obviously people like to read him as he has a good job in the Indo, and dare I say it he is not afraid to have an opinion on important issues like migration to idiotic developers like Johnny Ronan! And I'm sure if he had to do a "real Job", he'd make a better go of it then some of the lazy layabouts we have in this country. Ian O'Doherty for Taoiseach!

For certain, I agree with him on Johnny Ronan. I have said he makes sense a lot of the time on some things. If he was more balanced (e.g. differentiating terrorists from the Arab population in general and giving credit where credit is due to certain individuals like President Rouhani of Iran who is doing his best to improve things that will benefit everyone and lead to less extremism), things would be much better. The Iraq war was a disaster and so was a lot of Western policy. That does not make one who says these things lovers of idiots like Osama bin Laden or the leader of ISIS/ISIL. The migration issue is not black and white. Europe needs to be cautious; the world needs to help genuine refugees, it needs to stabilise these countries and it needs to not allow ISIS/ISIL take hold anywhere else. O'Doherty could write an article where he condemns extremism by the likes of ISIS and documents the shortcomings of Bush, Obama and Netanyahu alike while also condemning Hamas and then he'd get more respect as man who condemns political movements without being racist and without siding with one side over the other. To take an example of further back, one can condemn both the Holocaust and Hiroshima as equally evil acts done to 'eliminate an enemy in one go' in other words! It suited the war efforts of both sides but both acts were callous and showed no respect for human life and both dehumanised the 'enemy'!

Advertisement