Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV is going up from the 1st December 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ftakeith wrote: »
    How can Sky TV justify increasing the Variety package to 39euros per month as most of the best documentaries are on Freesat/Saorview.
    Than 6 months later the same documentaries are premieres on the Discovery Channels except for PBS America which is fta and is now on freesat.
    I have just the Sky TV's original bundle for Sky Atlantic mostly and the setanta pack from January 2016.

Get a Freesat recorder and you can cancel Sky. Do it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Get a Freesat recorder and you can cancel Sky. Do it now.

I have a freesat recorder but I also have sky tv

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have a freesat recorder but I also have sky tv

Out of interest, what do you get on the Sky that is not available on Freesat - and is it worth it?

Out of interest, what do you get on the Sky that is not available on Freesat - and is it worth it?

sky atlantic, Fox, sky arts, watch, comedy channel, 'Sky Store Buy and Keep' and I have the setanta pack on sky
    I think its worth it but if Now TV from Sky is available here in Ireland, I could cancel Sky TV on satellite as I have no interest from January 2016 in sky sports

About what percentage of your viewing would require a Sky sub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

My nine months half price viewing is up in a few weeks, so I'll be cancelling. I did the same thing last january (again, after nine months half price), and I started getting emails offering a new half price deal within a couple of weeks. Hopefully, the same thing will happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

With a discount deal I think its worth it, currently on a 50% deal paying €45 a month for entertainment,documentaries, sport and HD.
    Watch various sky One/Atlantic TV shows; Game of Thrones, The Affair, Karl Lillington, a league of their own, modern family.
    Watch alot of the documentary channels and comedy central.
    Watch golf, football, NFL on sports.
    Now watching lots of box sets; entourage, Veep, prison break, sons of anarchy.

I'd say 60 percent sky channels versus 40 FTA.

Ovrall happy enough paying between 45-60 for that. Luckily got a very good deal during the summer.

About what percentage of your viewing would require a Sky sub?
    50% of sky, 50% of freesat/saorview

I hardly go to the cinema or the theatre anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Enraged (well, miffed), I rang Sky to discuss dropping Sky Sports in the new Year (after the NFL season). I got offered Sports plus Movies for €7 less than what I'm currently paying for Sports alone, for six months. I'll now cancel Sky Sports sometime before that six months is up. Wife and kids are delighted with the movies for the Halloween holidays. It pays to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Haven't missed Sky at all since dropping it.
    Everything that the wife wants to watch can be found on Saorview or Andriod Tv Box.
    Kerrrrrching!!

• Advertisement

kleefarr wrote: »
    Haven't missed Sky at all since dropping it.
    Everything that the wife wants to watch can be found on Saorview or Andriod Tv Box.
    Kerrrrrching!!

I hope you have freesat also

those android boxes are maybe illegal, how do sleep at night for ripping off pay tv
    you should be ashamed of yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

those android boxes are maybe illegal, how do sleep at night for ripping off pay tv
    If that isn't sarcasm then all I can say is that the words, kettle, black arse and pot spring to mind :D

muffler wrote: »
    If that isn't sarcasm then all I can say is that the words, kettle, black arse and pot spring to mind :D

of course its sarcasm

there is going to be a crackdown by the state to save the pay tv companies in the future

Sky TV subscribers should just have the original bundle as sky could axe the variety package and merge the content into the original bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I hope you have freesat also

Sleep fine thanks, same way as I do after watching stuff provided on the internet on my laptop. :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭mike2084

Maybe this cryptic advert has something to do with the price increase

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2114277

mike2084 wrote: »

its the new sky Q receiver

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got Saorview a year ago and haven't looked back. I wasn't a sports subscriber, so it was an easy move for me to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Mr E wrote: »
    I got Saorview a year ago and haven't looked back. I wasn't a sports subscriber, so it was an easy move for me to make.

How do you record and series link on Saorview ? From reading the forums, UK Freeview + recorders were knobbled by RTE from being compatible with Saorview series link and apparently the only approved Saorview + recorder is very unreliable and basically rubbish ( unless they have improved it, and if they have, no one on the forums has mentioned it ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

galtee boy wrote: »
    How do you record and series link on Saorview ? From reading the forums, UK Freeview + recorders were knobbled by RTE from being compatible with Saorview series link and apparently the only approved Saorview + recorder is very unreliable and basically rubbish ( unless they have improved it, and if they have, no one on the forums has mentioned it ).

The Walker PVR is down to €99 now so worth a go. I have had it a few weeks and so far all OK. It's a little clunky compared to the slick interface of the new Freesat boxes but it does the job. It's certainly better than the Triax interface anyhow. I mostly record UK TV via Freesat, so hardly tax the series links or do much recording off Saorview but of those that I have set they are working. The recording function isn't as nice as Sky. If you are in a program and start recording it, you don't get series link prompts. You have to go into the EPG and find the next program and set it to record with series link. Also not sure if the 30 mins buffer is saved when record is pressed.... It is now on the new Freesat 1100s.

Got mine here - free del.
    http://www.soundstore.ie/mobile/product/walker-wp6500ttr-saorview-500gb-twin-tuner-recorder/3804/2220.2?&

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mike2084 wrote: »

took longer than expected to appear here, you guys are slipping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

MBSnr wrote: »
    The Walker PVR is down to €99 now so worth a go. I have had it a few weeks and so far all OK. It's a little clunky compared to the slick interface of the new Freesat boxes but it does the job. It's certainly better than the Triax interface anyhow. I mostly record UK TV via Freesat, so hardly tax the series links or do much recording off Saorview but of those that I have set they are working. The recording function isn't as nice as Sky. If you are in a program and start recording it, you don't get series link prompts. You have to go into the EPG and find the next program and set it to record with series link. Also not sure if the 30 mins buffer is saved when record is pressed.... It is now on the new Freesat 1100s.

Got mine here - free del.
    http://www.soundstore.ie/mobile/product/walker-wp6500ttr-saorview-500gb-twin-tuner-recorder/3804/2220.2?&

Thanks for the info, at €99 it's not a bad price. Just a pity there's not an alternative, but the problem is there aren't enough channels on Saorview and the population of ROI doesn't justify other manufacturers making Saorview PVRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

galtee boy wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, at €99 it's not a bad price. Just a pity there's not an alternative, but the problem is there aren't enough channels on Saorview and the population of ROI doesn't justify other manufacturers making Saorview PVRs.

What's the cheapeat Saorview PVR you can get, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Between saorview &freeaat & other options*, I can't understand how so many people still subscribe to sky.

*, not allowed talk about these options here.

What is the best box for Fta series link recording capabilities? Not interested in saorview, never watch rte or tv3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

zorro2566 wrote: »
    What is the best box for Fta series link recording capabilities? Not interested in saorview, never watch rte or tv3.

there is mention of series linking on the humax hdr 1000s box but it does not do sourview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

My 12 month contract with them finishes in January,so i'll give them 30 days notice on December 1st to coincide with their price increase :D

We got rid of sky about a year ago and have not looked back

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

zorro2566 wrote: »

You could get an Amiko Alien 2 Triple which has dvbt and 2x dvbs. Flash with enigma2 which has 7 day epg,external HD and series link is easy.

You could get a higher spec unit with internal HD either, the Xtrend Et8000 is a triple tuner customisable in any way you want .

there is mention of series linking on the humax hdr 1000s box but it does not do sourview

humax freesat freetime has series link and in my view is better than any sky+ receiver until the new sky q receivers this month

There is nothing really to record on saorview
    films and us series are mostly on freesat

• Advertisement

dav32cs wrote: »
    You could get an Amiko Alien 2 Triple which has dvbt and 2x dvbs. Flash with enigma2 which has 7 day epg,external HD and series link is easy.

You could get a higher spec unit with internal HD either, the Xtrend Et8000 is a triple tuner customisable in any way you want .

I also have an Amiko alien 2 but its not quite series link as in if the program is delayed the recording will still start at the time the programme was supposed to be on
    This is not a big deal in my opinion as you can set the box to record 5 mins early and stop 5 mins later
    still a good box box though
    I needed something with a little more umph so I treated myself to a vu+duo2

Advertisement