Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Clubs CCS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

benny79 wrote: »
    You don't have to sign in before a competition at my club. I usually sign in when I'm finished then sign in again & enter my scores. This is actually the way most members do it in my club anyway. Mainly down to rushing, but have never received a 0.1 back for not returning my card which is rare less I forget.

Plus there is no sign in the club house stating all cards must be returned etc which wouldn't be a bad idea!

But I would say people not returning cards or entering scores in the computer has a big effect on my home course having a high CSS.

That's mental - open to abuse ie, if you don't score well just don't sign in after your round - voila, no 0.1 back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

That's mental - open to abuse ie, if you don't score well just don't sign in after your round - voila, no 0.1 back!!!

Exactly! and it is abused. But furthermore it has an effect on the clubs CSS been high as it limits the number of bad scores been returned (some lads will return them obviously) Therefore the course seems its playing easy and in return a high CSS.

That's my take on why its always so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

That's nuts I thought all clubs have time stipulations ours included where you cannot just sign in and then enter your score as you have to wait 30 minutes after signing in before you can enter your score.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

That's nuts I thought all clubs have time stipulations ours included where you cannot just sign in and then enter your score as you have to wait 30 minutes after signing in before you can enter your score.

No not every club has that feature in the software, they should have, but as it currently stands there is no requirement for it.

You don't have to sign in before a competition at my club. I usually sign in when I'm finished then sign in again & enter my scores. This is actually the way most members do it in my club anyway. Mainly down to rushing, but have never received a 0.1 back for not returning my card which is rare less I forget.

Plus there is no sign in the club house stating all cards must be returned etc which wouldn't be a bad idea!

But I would say people not returning cards or entering scores in the computer has a big effect on my home course having a high CSS.
    Hi Benny, If you entered the comp before playing but did not enter your score would yo get .1 back in that scenario?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Hi Benny, If you entered the comp before playing but did not enter your score would yo get .1 back in that scenario?

I understand that you are only allowed 2 NR's each year. After that you don't get a .1 for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

There is a rule in place in my club that a not returned card may lead to ineligibility of playing the next Sunday comp.
    Not sure how strictly that is enforced though as my club doesn't require you to sign in before a comp. So all they have to go by is the timesheet and I'm not sure they go to that length. Maybe they do but probably not.

I've played away in open comps where the guy in the pro shop signed me in when taking my money and handing me my card. No messing.

With regards to N/Rs I know that you get both groups in my club and probably any club. Either lads who only hand in good cards for handicap vanity reasons and handicap managers who have enough after 9 holes and expect their .1 back.
    But in my club that's just a very few people. From casual observation the howdido records seem usually pretty much in line with the timesheets in terms of numbers.

On a sidenote I always enter my score without the sign-in procedure, go straight to enter score. The howdidido software package sees no problem with that and will record your comp score correctly.

I understand that you are only allowed 2 NR's each year. After that you don't get a .1 for it.
    I don,t think so just checked a serial NR'er in our place who we have written to on this issue i hasten on to to add and they have had plenty of .1's back this season.??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

I don,t think so just checked a serial NR'er in our place who we have written to on this issue i hasten on to to add and they have had plenty of .1's back this season.??

Was he/she not returning a physical card or score on the computer, or were they, say, scratching a hole in strokes, incurring a "NR" from a competition point of view, but still actually returning the card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

I stand corrected so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Boskowski wrote: »
    There is a rule in place in my club that a not returned card may lead to ineligibility of playing the next Sunday comp.
    Not sure how strictly that is enforced though as my club doesn't require you to sign in before a comp. So all they have to go by is the timesheet and I'm not sure they go to that length. Maybe they do but probably not.

I've played away in open comps where the guy in the pro shop signed me in when taking my money and handing me my card. No messing.

Sounds like an overly relaxed system open to all sorts of abuse. If you don't sign in before the round when do you pay your entry fee? If you only enter and pay afterwards surely there's an incentive to not bother with the competition if you're not firing on all cylindars and in with a shout of a prize or cut? Is there a 2's comp in your club, guessing not as otherwise no one would enter unless they had a 2 and then they'd only get their own 2 euro back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

I'm not really sure on this as I nearly always sign in after my round. Its kinda a force of habit now! but it is a big issue IMO at my club as I have played with numerous players who don't return their card cause they played bad and believe it or not most them do it out of embarrassment of their poor score! but it has to be having a effect on the CSS been so high all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

In my club, if you register on computer but dont enter card, fairly sure you dont get 0.1 back or any record on golfnet. Also you're supposed to enter comp before the round, you can do it afterwards but if playing in the evening, and don't enter computer before hand, it will be unavailable afterwards to register for the comp, computer will say no comp available. In this case you leave card into the box- I think sometimes the handicap / comp secretary will enter card manually into computer- not sure how they know which are and are not entered, presume print off a list of comp entrants from computer and cross reference to the cards they got.

Russman wrote: »
    Was he/she not returning a physical card or score on the computer, or were they, say, scratching a hole in strokes, incurring a "NR" from a competition point of view, but still actually returning the card ?
    Morning Russman, just checked people are entering the comp on the computer and then not putting their cards in the cards box so when we check we do not have a card from them for that competition.

I'm not really sure on this as I nearly always sign in after my round. Its kinda a force of habit now! but it is a big issue IMO at my club as I have played with numerous players who don't return their card cause they played bad and believe it or not most them do it out of embarrassment of their poor score! but it has to be having a effect on the CSS been so high all the time.
    Yea it is a tricky one we put a notice below our BRS icons warning players that failure to return cards affects the SS and have communicated this to our worst offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

Morning Russman, just checked people are entering the comp on the computer and then not putting their cards in the cards box so when we check we do not have a card from them for that competition.

Yep, that's a problem in our place too (along with people not signing in). I checked at one time last year for 5 or 6 random dates, there was about 20/25 more names in the competition book in the pro shop compared to scores entered on the computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Sounds like an overly relaxed system open to all sorts of abuse. If you don't sign in before the round when do you pay your entry fee? If you only enter and pay afterwards surely there's an incentive to not bother with the competition if you're not firing on all cylindars and in with a shout of a prize or cut? Is there a 2's comp in your club, guessing not as otherwise no one would enter unless they had a 2 and then they'd only get their own 2 euro back.

Basically you walk into the pro shop and pay your comp fee and twos money before the round and then you're off.
    The computer is in the locker room however and whether you sign in or not and enter your score or not is not under anyone's control but yourself.

It is overly relaxed I agree. The starter could at least point out that you're supposed to be signed in. But I don't thinks it's being abused at least not on any scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Basically you walk into the pro shop and pay your comp fee and twos money before the round and then you're off.
    The computer is in the locker room however and whether you sign in or not and enter your score or not is not under anyone's control but yourself.

It is overly relaxed I agree. The starter could at least point out that you're supposed to be signed in. But I don't thinks it's being abused at least not on any scale.

Ah right, thanks for clarifying, makes more sense now as I was envisaging players just arriving at the tee and afterwards then signing in with the pro shop and paying their competition fee. Sounds like the problem in your club is that there isn't also a computer in the pro shop to have all the administrative work done in the one location before heading towards the tee. I presume there's still a competition book to sign to indicate you've paid for and entered the competition so if non returns are rampant a cross reference could be made versus the competition book and returned scores with repeat offenders reprimanded accordingly.

Lads whats a pro shop?

Advertisement