Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lidl Bargains

Options
  • 01-10-2015 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

Lidl Motor Madness next Monday the 5th. Given the recent topic on emergency car kits, there is a hi-vis vest at €2.99 and jump leads at €12.99.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=610

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Lidl Motor Madness next Monday the 5th. Given the recent topic on emergency car kits, there is a hi-vis vest at €2.99 and jump leads at €12.99.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=610

I wouldn't trust those jump leads to start my lawnmower ;)

I will be picking up some 10W 40 though, it's time my son learnt how to service his car!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

pred racer wrote: »

Worked grand out for me when jump starting the friend's car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The torque wrench is a good shout, the jack and stands are fine, but you can do better for not much more. And as above I'd leave the jumper cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Worked grand out for me when jump starting the friend's car.

Good for you, when they melt (which they will) and short out your or your friends battery, guess what I'm going to say :p

Been there, luckily the only problem it caused was the smell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I got the jump leads before. Never again. Leave them there is my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron

I have those axle stands from couple of years ago - perfect little yokes. Will have to remember to pick up some 10W40 and wheel trim set (saves me cleaning and respraying the ones I have)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,896 ✭✭✭cletus

I picked up a set of jumpleads from either lidl or aldi, but they were pretty heavy, much heavier than the ones in the link appear. They also have a little box that both cables run through with a little led that lights up (not sure what the purpose is tbh) but they have jumped everything from a fiesta to a transit with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have had good success with those jump leads, I have used them about 4 times now and never had any problems with them heating or melting.
    I guess it depends on how many amps you are putting through them.
    I'd happily buy them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

The ones I got couldn't get enough of a pull to start the battery, I had to go and get the old tractor leads that I thought were past their best by a couple of decades and car started on the first go.
    Still have the old tractor ones and Lidl ones went into bin.

Edit seeing aldis name here, these could have been aldis but afaik they are from same manufacturers

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

The trick with the thin jump leads is to not use them to crank the starter, but to use them to charge the battery, Leave them connected for a few minutes, then try start the car, if you start cranking the second you stick them on you'll melt them

There is a video on youtube on jumping a car with AA batteries using the same principle

• Advertisement

a hi-vis vest at €2.99

A Garda station will give you hi-vis stuff handy enough. They've usually a box of RSA stuff sitting in the station somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

You can order free hi viz vests on rsa.ie

The windscreen washer fliud is liquid gold. I bought a dozen last time they were on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

Anyone know the torque range on the torque wrench?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Have a set of them and no bother starting any car ive used them on.. Only problem is the length of them at 3.5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

5W30 wrote: »
    Anyone know the torque range on the torque wrench?
    Product Information :-
    With reversible ratchet for clockwise or anticlockwise use Includes ½" extension, length (mm): 125 and 3 sockets, sizes (mm): 17, 19 and 21

Torque range (Nm): 28 - 210
    Measuring tolerance: +/- 4%
    http://www.smartpound.com/story.php?title=powerfix-5-piece-torque-wrench-set-%C2%A315-99-lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

oil and hand cleaner. sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Torque wrench is a decent thing, worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Good for you, when they melt (which they will) and short out your or your friends battery, guess what I'm going to say :p

Been there, luckily the only problem it caused was the smell!

I'd agree I have heavy duty 25mm^2 jump leads. Buy one decent set and they will last you years they look 16mm^2 if even that plus if the core is aluminium that's higher resistence again you want copper cores. Clamps look sh!ty enough. They would probably be ok for a Yaris I wouldn't like to be jumping a 75 or 80 ah battery of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Will be picking up the battery charger; a very respectable output considering the price. My last one drowned in 10" of water when the building at work flooded, last years before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

will get the torque wrench cheap and cheerful, already have the stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Will be picking up the battery charger; a very respectable output considering the price. My last one drowned in 10" of water when the building at work flooded, last years before that.

Looks very similar to the ring smart charger I have. Great piece of kit but it was 60 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Would the wipers fit on a Mondeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭corks finest

The torque wrench is a good shout, the jack and stands are fine, but you can do better for not much more. And as above I'd leave the jumper cables.

Think the Halfords jack stands are better?

will get the torque wrench cheap and cheerful, already have the stands.

Where did u get the stands?and do u think I he lidl ones are OK?thanks

Would the wipers fit on a Mondeo?

From my experience, never got lidl/aldi wipers to fit my last car,tried two different sets,as on the back of pack,no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Anyone any experience of the mini compressor? I'm sick of garages not having air anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Baraics Pollox

While the Lidl axle stands aren't bad for what they are, a few euro extra will get you a much sturdier set from Halfords.

€13 for Lidl stands or €18 for Halfords Advance 3 tonne ratcheted axle stands. I have both and the quality difference is night and day. Just a thought for anyone venturing under their car.

Funnily enough the Halfords ones are only that price if you reserve them online and collect in store. If you head into the shop and pick them off the shelf they'll want about €35 for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

JBokeh wrote: »
    There is a video on youtube on jumping a car with AA batteries using the same principle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Where did u get the stands?and do u think I he lidl ones are OK?thanks

They were bought in Lidl, I also have solid non foldable halford ones which are a bit thicker but the lidl ones have worked fine and my car weights around 1500kg so its not light by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

SeaFields wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of the mini compressor? I'm sick of garages not having air anymore!
    They're quite slow, but they get the job done.

Advertisement