Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACL Surgery

Options
  • 01-10-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I slipped in the mud at Glastonbury this June and tore the meniscus and slightly damaged the ACL in my knee. I had surgery straight away to repair the meniscus but the surgeon advised at the time that if I build up the muscle around my knee the ACL would be fine.

Fast forward to this week and I twisted the knee and I think I've done the ACL completely this time. I have an appointment to meet the surgeon next week, but I have since been looking into the different surgery options. I've been reading great things about the cadaver donor graft, has anyone had this surgery before? If so, what is the rehab like compared to the other surgery options? I'd imagine there is a big additional cost for it too?

Thanks in advance for all the help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

No idea about the cadaver option. Had the hamstring graft one done myself in 2010 and have had Zero issues with the knee since. Once you follow the rehab you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

As far as I am aware the cadaver graft uses the Achilles tendon, so it actually make the replaced ACL much stronger.

On the down side, I believe this is a newer technique and not many (if any) surgeons are doing this kind of graft here. I am pretty sure the established top knee guys in Ireland are not doing it and stick with the patella and hamstring graft.

If I had a choice I would certainly try the cadaver as I like the idea of having a super ACL , although I imagine the risk of rejection would be there which could be an additional reason for the graft to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If I had a choice I would certainly try the cadaver as I like the idea of having a super ACL , although I imagine the risk of rejection would be there which could be an additional reason for the graft to fail.
    Apparently they have a way to treat the graft to minimise the risk of rejection.
    I like the idea of not having to recover from donation as well as the ACL surgery.

A lot of info here;
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/3mynrs/thought_you_guys_might_find_this_interesting_acl/

eTMS7lm.gif

It certainly looks much better recovery wise.

For me the worst part of recovery was the hamstring pain and tightness. Obviously if you could eliminate this the recovery would be much quicker.

I imagine much of the pain of the patella graft recovery would be avoided also.

I imagine much of the pain of the patella graft recovery would be avoided also.
    According to the Reddit thread, the patella graft can cause some kneeling pain for a long time afterwards. Not good from a bjj point of view

• Advertisement

According to the Reddit thread, the patella graft can cause some kneeling pain for a long time afterwards. Not good from a bjj point of view

It does, my team mate had the Patella graft a month before I had my hamstring graft and I was back on the matt before he was. Mainly due the pain he experienced on the front of his knee while kneeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Thanks for the replies guys.

Funnily enough I actually train BJJ so that reddit thread was a great help. I think it may have ruled out getting the patella graft done. The hamstring or cadaver graft seem to be the way to go from here on.

Just trying to research the rehab options for both. Absolutely dying to get back training as quickly but as healthily as I can :)

Kettle316 wrote: »
    Funnily enough I actually train BJJ so that reddit thread was a great help. I think it may have ruled out getting the patella graft done. The hamstring or cadaver graft seem to be the way to go from here on.
    That was s stroke of luck. The Reddit thread should be a goldmine for you.
    I'd avoid the patella graft too.

Advertisement