Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dana white looking for a fight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Petermc83

really enjoyed it!!! i stumbled across it on the UFC channel on youtube last night..
    The bit where Serra and the ring announcer bitching at one another was hilarious!!

Remains to be seen whether they find decent fighters out of it however, i see that "Karate Surfer Dude" Sage Northcutt is on this weekends card..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I just laughed poor holyfield didn't know what to do, I wouldn mess with serra

Really look forward to see this sage kid could be interesting,

Iook forward to it next week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Just watched it didn't think it was great really. The bit with the announcer was ridiculous! Looks like it didn't take them long to sign up that kind Sage be interesting to see how he gets on with those kicks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Better than TUF if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Isn't Nick the Tooth the guy who challenged Joe Lauzon to a grappling match a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭cletus

Mellor wrote: »
    Isn't Nick the Tooth the guy who challenged Joe Lauzon to a grappling match a few years back.

Yep. I think hechad some success as a white belt in competitions and he was shooting his mouth off about being a beast. Dana set up the grappling match with Lauzon, and offered something like $1000 a sub

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

dave1982 wrote: »
    Better than TUF if you ask me

More entertaining at least.

I went digging for it. Here it is;

Funniest part is after the scissor takedown, and Joe goes for the heel-hook. Nick says "no, you can't, I'm a white belt".

In Nick's defense, when looking for that I came accross his ibjjf ranking page. He has some decent results for a recreational player. Gold medals at Pan's, World Masters, and World Nogi - albeit at Blue belt master 4. From his stats he's a purple now as he took a silver at Pan's this year.

Apparently he trains at Atos, he writes for fightland. I just stumbled across this. After the McGregor Siver fight he went over Conor's leg weave sequence with Rafa Mendes. I know Conor's hype is huge, but the fact that pass was even remotely on Rafa'a radar is pretty class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Hope the other episodes of this are on youtube, can see it being on fightpass though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I like these kinda popcorn things makes me think of the discontinued Fight Factory. Americans seem to have an even worse problem with eating fish than we do!. First Cormier in a recent 192 Vlog and now these guys!. Those fish potato cakes looked delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

It seems like this was filmed as a pilot? Are we sure that there are a series of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    It seems like this was filmed as a pilot? Are we sure that there are a series of them?

id image so he said we are going across america and the world,

will we see him at battlezone oct 23rd? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Anybody see sage northcutt fight on Saturday? First round finish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hard to know what to make of it as the other guy didn't look up to much at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Anyone think he's juicing? He has insane muscle mass, he'd look a monster in the WW divison yet he's somehow 155.

His father was a body builder and supposedly a steroid user. He was trained from an extremely young age, hasn't been exposed to any drug testing until last weekend. I'm purely speculating but it wouldn't surprise me if he has taken HGH from a young age.

I just can't get over the fact that he's fighting at 155, he's an animal.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Anyone think he's juicing? He has insane muscle mass, he'd look a monster in the WW divison yet he's somehow 155.

His father was a body builder and supposedly a steroid user. He was trained from an extremely young age, hasn't been exposed to any drug testing until last weekend. I'm purely speculating but it wouldn't surprise me if he has taken HGH from a young age.

Any reason to pick HGH in particular?

His dad was a BB and owns a nutrition/health food company. He’s a monster. And likely was on gear.
    But on the other hand, there’s obvious the genetics too. The brother is the same. Sage has been doing martial arts his whole life. There’s pics on him with abs as a 12 year old.

Regardless though, even he has been on the juice. Steroids don’t really make it possible to be bigger at a given weight. Muscle put on with drugs weighs the same as any muscle. He still needs to make 155 like everyone. Being a few % leaner gives him a few lbs of lean mass to squeeze water from, but the difference is only a lb or two best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Enjoyed Serra's antics but overall a bit fake and too bro for my tastes. Can't stand Dana either so there's that too, he makes me cringe.

What about that fish shooting business? That was mental :D

bur wrote: »
    Enjoyed Serra's antics but overall a bit fake and too bro for my tastes.

I don't think Serra's lunatic persona is fake tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

bur wrote: »
    Enjoyed Serra's antics but overall a bit fake and too bro for my tastes. Can't stand Dana either so there's that too, he makes me cringe.
    I don't think Serra's lunatic persona is fake tbh.

yeah its just Serra being Serra isn't it? He came across pretty similar during TUF, maybe a little less so when he was a contestant but obviously grew in confidence after beating GSP

Anyone know if there are other episodes or will they maybe hold it back until they have a new fighter(ie Northcutt) a few days out from his debut fight or build up a card?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I know this sort of talk isn't allowed but I instantly thought juicing when I saw his physique. It has a 'juice' look to it. Hard to explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

WarZ wrote: »
    It has a 'juice' look to it.

Well thats it, signed, sealed and delivered right there :confused: Ban the kid now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Any reason to pick HGH in particular?

His dad was a BB and owns a nutrition/health food company. He’s a monster. And likely was on gear.
    But on the other hand, there’s obvious the genetics too. The brother is the same. Sage has been doing martial arts his whole life. There’s pics on him with abs as a 12 year old.

Regardless though, even he has been on the juice. Steroids don’t really make it possible to be bigger at a given weight. Muscle put on with drugs weighs the same as any muscle. He still needs to make 155 like everyone. Being a few % leaner gives him a few lbs of lean mass to squeeze water from, but the difference is only a lb or two best.

HGH is one of the most effective steroids you can take, especially at a young age and doesn't have any of the strange side effects that something like testosterone would have on a minor. Taking testosterone at a young age would mess up your hormone balance and ability to produce it as an adult without juicing. It could also cause a 14-15 year to grow a beard, his voice would drop considerably etc.

I think steroids do make it possibly to be bigger at a certain weight, especially if you take something like HGH at a young age, it will raise your natural stamina cap considerably, increase recovery times and you will have more endurance. I definitely think people who juice have easier recoveries from massive cuts compared to clean guys.

HGH is one of the most effective steroids you can take, especially at a young age and doesn't have any of the strange side effects that something like testosterone would have on a minor. Taking testosterone at a young age would mess up your hormone balance and ability to produce it as an adult without juicing. It could also cause a 14-15 year to grow a beard, his voice would drop considerably etc.
    I've heard of HGH being used to treat children with growth defects. But in a "normal" person, wouldn't it basically turn him into Bigfoot.
    And you hear about HGH gut from prolonged use. I don't know if that's a backed up by studies yet but you see it in modern BBs all the time. But Sage has none of that.
    I think steroids do make it possibly to be bigger at a certain weight, especially if you take something like HGH at a young age,
    How?
    Not saying your wrong, genuinely curious by which mechanism younthink this is possible.
    it will raise your natural stamina cap considerably, increase recovery times and you will have more endurance.
    I'm not sure about stamina/endurance. But it makes sense if low-test causes lethargy.
    But recovery, definitely. It's not just about being bigger/stronger. It's training herder, for longer, more often.

But doesn't that only applies when they are on steroids.
    I definitely think people who juice have easier recoveries from massive cuts compared to clean guys.
    Why?
    I get that it makes it easier to get to get lean for the fight. But how would it help cutting water for the scales? And would it still apply if it's not in the system during fight week, I imagine for most it's not at that stage - except the fighters that get popped.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The new episode is on Fight Pass now if anyone's looking for it. Released to the general public on 11th January.

It looks like Mickey Gall, a 1-0 fighter out of Miller Brothers in New Jersey, will be CM Punk's next opponent. He called him out after his fight and Dana is "interested".

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/1/6/10719384/mickey-gall-anticipates-bout-with-cm-punk-ufc-debut-dana-white
    On paper, 23-year-old New Jersey welterweight Mickey Gall makes all kinds of sense as a debut opponent for professional-wrestler-turned-UFC-fighter CM Punk.

Punk – who has never competed in MMA at either the professional or the amateur level – signed with the UFC in December of 2014 but has yet to fight for the promotion. A shoulder injury has delayed his debut, but he is expected to fight this year against a fighter "who is 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, something like that" in his inaugural bout, according to UFC President Dana White to ESPN.

Gall is 1-0 professionally and 2-0 as an amateur. He also calls 170 home, the same weight class as the former wrestling star.

As a final splash into this matchmaking cocktail, White recently revealed plans to scout for CM Punk's first opponent through his recently launched reality series, Looking for a Fight. During the show's latest episode, which is currently hosted on UFC Fight Pass and will be released on YouTube Jan. 11, White traveled to Philadelphia, where he watched Gall defeat Ron Templeton via first-round submission at Dead Serious MMA 17.

"I found out [that White and company would be in attendance] a little bit less than a month before the fight," Gall told MMAFighting.com "Frankie Perez, who owns that series, called me, and I was like, ‘Dude, listen.’ I already had an opponent fall through, so I was like, ‘Oh, s--t. What is it? What?’ He goes, ‘Listen, big news. Dana White’s going to be there.’ And my heart kind of, I got excited but also nervous as heck right away. I was like, ‘Alright, man, cool.’ He said, ‘This is a big opportunity, blah, blah, blah.’

"Then he gets on the phone with me, and I’m like, ‘Oh. I’m going to call out CM Punk for sure.’ It was so obvious to me. That’s the only guy in the UFC for me right now, you know? They needed to find a light record. He couldn’t fight some 9-1 guy. So I go in there, I got a win. He’s 0-0. I’m 1-0. That’s a light record. The commission will approve that. I can fight that dude and make the most of that opportunity."

While White did not make a definitive decision on the spot, he did speak positively about the prospect of a Gall vs. Punk showdown, saying he was "interested" in the New Jersey product.

Gall, who trains at Miller Brothers MMA – founded and operated by UFC vets Jim Miller and Dan Miller – Gracie New Jersey Jiu-Jitsu Academy, and American Top Team Allentown, maintains that his call-out of Punk was not just made in the heat of the moment. He wants to welcome Punk to the world of competitive MMA, and he doesn't think Punk will like the beatdown that awaits.

"Honestly, man, I think that guy’s used to going into a ring and whispering to his guy, ‘Hey, let’s do a clothesline. Hey, let’s practice jumping off the ropes and this and that," Gall said. "I think when he gets in there and he has me coming at him looking to kill him, I don’t think he’ll be able to handle it. He’s a professional wrestler, and he’s great at that. He’s made himself a millionaire doing that. But now he’s stepping into a different world, and I think he’d be in a lot of trouble."

A brown belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu who has trained at Gracie New Jersey under the tutelage of David Adiv – a man who has been deemed "The Brain" by Rickson Gracie – since the age of 16, many might expect Gall to devise a gameplan centered around taking Punk to the mat and searching for the submission.

They'd be wrong.

"To be honest, I just think if I hit that dude in his face hard, I don’t think he’s going to react well with that," Gall said. "I like to punch people in the face real hard. Sometimes I use my jiu-jitsu because that’s just where it happens to go, but I think I hit that dude, and he’s not going to like it. I really see myself banging with him a little bit."

While Gall's jiu-jitsu background definitely forms his foundation as a fighter, he said he never practiced the sport in a pure Brazilian jiu-jitsu context. He always envisioned something beyond grappling in his future, and he honed his skills accordingly.

"From the get-go, I started jiu-jitsu with the intention of being an MMA fighter," Gall said. "Always in the back of my mind was, ‘Alright, how would this work in a fight?’ You see a lot of jiu-jitsu guys with the guard pulling and different stuff, but I always practiced striking and all that stuff as well for fighting. I always tried to think of the ultimate goal of fighting inside the cage.

"I trained at AMA Fight Club [in Whippany, New Jersey], and I would take the Muay Thai classes all the time. I’d do drills. I’d work with my friends, like my buddy [professional MMA fighter] Rich (Patishnock), and I’d kind of bounce around coaches."

Now, fully engrossed in the MMA lifestyle, Gall anticipates his big chance. He knows White showed up looking for an opponent for CM Punk, and he knows he fits the bill almost perfectly. Now it's just a matter of receiving the paperwork and signing on the dotted line.

"I haven’t heard from Dana White. I’m hoping. I’m around," Gall said. "I think they’re still trying to figure things out. Now I’m starting to get the buzz, and people are sending me these articles. My phone’s been blowing up with websites posting how I’m probably going to be his opponent. I only hope. I hope, man.

"I do [feel I’m ready for UFC competition]. I train with some of the best guys in the world. Just recently, I had the opportunity to go down to American Top Team and train. I do well, man. I can handle myself with anybody. I train with Jim and Dan all the time, and you’ve seen what they’ve done in the UFC. I hold my own. I do well. I know on any given day, I can beat anyone."

Dana gets his top off (and is ripped) for those interested too. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Matt Serra and Dana are juicing themselves. Serra admitted he was on the Anik and Florian podcast a few weeks ago and you'd imagine Dana is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Matt Serra and Dana are juicing themselves. Serra admitted he was on the Anik and Florian podcast a few weeks ago and you'd imagine Dana is too.

As is Joe Rogan, I don't see why this is is a problem though seeing as none of them fight and they are all 40+ and probably need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Look at Dana 10 years ago when he was managing tito and Chuck

• Advertisement

Yeah not a big deal if they are juicing anyway, all 40+ and not competing literally means it's their own business if they are.

Have to say I'm enjoying these episodes as they are coming out though, Serra has beef with almost everyone at these events and he loves a gargle :D

Advertisement