Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet & Fitness Apps for Weight Training

Options
  • 30-09-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any decent apps out there for iOS?

Any diet ones would be especially useful. Specifically ones that work out how much protein & carbs u need per body weight & give recipe advice on making decent meals to get get your intake. The protein shakes don't agree with me so got to do it naturally.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I've started to use MyFitnessPal, which I find good for monitoring calories and grams of nutrients. You can set it to whatever breakdown of food you want, (20% Carbs, 40% Fat, 40% Protein for eg. this is what I am currently aiming for) It won't tell you what your breakdown should be, I've just used a few online tools to come up with this myself with a leaning towards Paleo then, so carbs mainly from nuts/fruit/veg, but do eat spuds/rice/oats from time to time.

Whether this is good or bad, I don't really know but I am losing fat whilst keeping muscle. I find it very hard to know what the breakdown should be, I guess it depends on what you are trying to do.

What I find it excellent for is learning about what exactly is in each food, you will know very quickly say what you get from different nuts/vegs/proteins etc, and can make much better decisions about what you eat thereafter.

Maybe try protein bars? The quest bars are very tasty or also the choclate orange from myprotein are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    I've started to use MyFitnessPal, which I find good for monitoring calories and grams of nutrients. You can set it to whatever breakdown of food you want, (20% Carbs, 40% Fat, 40% Protein for eg. this is what I am currently aiming for) It won't tell you what your breakdown should be, I've just used a few online tools to come up with this myself with a leaning towards Paleo then, so carbs mainly from nuts/fruit/veg, but do eat spuds/rice/oats from time to time.

Whether this is good or bad, I don't really know but I am losing fat whilst keeping muscle. I find it very hard to know what the breakdown should be, I guess it depends on what you are trying to do.

What I find it excellent for is learning about what exactly is in each food, you will know very quickly say what you get from different nuts/vegs/proteins etc, and can make much better decisions about what you eat thereafter.

Maybe try protein bars? The quest bars are very tasty or also the choclate orange from myprotein are nice.

Thanks for the reply. Will check out that app.

At the moment I'm not following any particular diet but I'm aiming for 31g protein/62g carbs post workout meal to try and build muscle.

This ratio is based on 0.4g of protein per 2.2lb of bodyweight. Double it for carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Tim76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Will check out that app.

At the moment I'm not following any particular diet but I'm aiming for 31g protein/62g carbs post workout meal to try and build muscle.

This ratio is based on 0.4g of protein per 2.2lb of bodyweight. Double it for carbs.

MyFitnessPal is the daddy of the tracking apps. It has a huge database of everyday foods and specific brands etc. It takes a bit of time at the start as you assemble typical foods but after that you'll be selecting from the lists of foods you've already previously selected. Gives a breakdown of calories and macros.

What you eat post workout won't build muscle per se. If you had that 31 P/ 62 C post-workout meal but you were in a calorie deficit across the day, for example, you wouldn't be putting on muscle. You need to be eating appropriately across the day rather than just looking at post-workout nutrition in isolation.

Advertisement